Supermarine Stranraer decolando

Supermarine Stranraer decolando

Supermarine Stranraer decolando

Vista de um barco voador Supermarine Stranraer decolando para uma patrulha no início da segunda guerra mundial.


Supermarine Stranraer decolando - História

Oficial voador Arthur Frederick Barber morto
Oficial voador Frederick Ernest Royston King (de 26 anos) morto
LAC Donald Fulcher (22 anos) morto
AC1 David George Poeten Ash (de 21 anos) morto
AC1 Walter Joseph Jeckells (19 anos) morto
AC2 Leslie Samuel Freshwater (22 anos) morto

De acordo com o anúncio oficial do Ministério da Aeronáutica na revista 'Flight' (31 de agosto de 1939, página 205 - ver link # 4):

"ACIDENTES DE VOO
Com referência ao desaparecimento em 19 de agosto de uma aeronave do Esquadrão No.209, o Ministério da Aeronáutica anuncia com pesar que, como extensas buscas não conseguiram encontrar a aeronave e seus ocupantes, agora deve ser aceito que o seguinte pessoal perdeu suas vidas nessa data: - F / O (tenente em exercício) Frederick Ernest Royston King F / O Arthur Frederick Barber L./AC Donald Fulcher A / C.1 David George Poeten Ash A / C.1 Walter Joseph Jeckells A / C. 2 Leslie Samuel Freshwater.

F / O (Flt. Tenente em exercício) King e F / O Barber foram os primeiros e segundos pilotos da aeronave e LA / C Fulcher, A / C.1 Ash, A / C.1 Jeckells e A / C.2 Freshwater eram os outros membros da tripulação. "

K7297 foi finalmente retirado da carga em 26/1/40


Supermarine Stranraer

Esta postagem ainda não foi traduzida para o inglês. Por favor, use o botão TRADUZIR acima para ver a tradução automática desta postagem.

Supermarine Stranraer
Supermarine typ 230 Stranraer představuje poslední dvojplošný létající člun ve službách Real Força Aérea. Byl vyvrcholením vývoje série létacích člunů Southampton a Scapa. Byl jedním z posledních dvojplošných létacích člunů na světě. Pod vedením R. J. Mitchella byl vytvořen firmou "Supermarine Aviation Works". Navržený byl podle stejné specifikace (Especificação R.24 / 31 do Ministério da Aeronáutica) jako konkurenční Saro Londres. Supermarine Stranraer přežil ve službě ou něco déle než jeho konkurent a byl obecně upřednostňovaný těmi posádkami, které měly možnost porovnat oba dva typy.

I jeho označování prošlo složitým vývojem. Původně byl označován jako Southampton Mk V. Prototyp, původně známý jako Singapore V, byl poháněný hvězdicovými motory Pegasus IIIM s výkonem 820 hp, pohánějícími dvoulisté dřuleěné dvoulisté dřuleěnými. Šestičlenná posádka se skládala z pilota, navigátora, radisty a tří střeců. Měla k dispozici odpočinkový prostor s lehátky a kuchyňku s výbavou pro vaření.

Stranraer uskutečnil první let 27. července 1934, pilotem byl "Mutt" Summers, vedoucí zkušebního programu. Již po prvním letu byl prototyp s imatrikulací K3973 přejmenován podle města v Jižním Skotsku, známého přístavu trajektů spojujících Skotsko se Severním Irskem, na Stranraer. V říjnu a listopadu 1935 podstoupil u 210. Sq. srovnávací testy s typem Londres. Během nich bylo zjištěno, že je poněkud podmotorován.

Původní objednávka byla podepsána v srpnu 1935 a zněla na sedmnáct letadel (kódové označení K7287 až K7303). Sériová produkce začala od r. 1936. Výroba se probíhala v závodech Supermarine v Southamptonu. Celkový počet vyrobených kusů je udáván poněkud nejasně. Ruský pramen www.airwar.ru udává, že celkem byly vyrobeny 63 kusy (z nich 23 v Anglii a 40 v Kanadě), ostatní zdroje udávají počet v Anglii vyrobených strojš 17. Na kanadské shodukci se vujšy prujíen. Nejasnost pramení zřejmě z faktu, že v květnu 1936 byla zadána zakázka na dalších 6 strojů (kódové označení K9676 až K9681), která byla pravděpodobně později stornáji.

Vzhledem k poznatkům ze srovnávacích testů prototypu byly ze sériové výroby, běžící u Supermarine od prosince 1936, již dodávány stroje, opatřené dvojicí hvězdicových motorů Pegasus Xě o výrích motor Pegasus Xě o výrílu výrílist, Pegasus Xě o výrílu výrílist motorů Pegasus Xě o výrávê 20 výtire po Tipo byl 16. dubna 1937 uznán za operační. Letadla z anglické produkce se využívala jenom v metropoli. Na počátku 2. sv. války byly jimi vybaveny 2 jednotky. První byla 228. Sq. v Pembroke Dock, k níž první vyrobený stoj dorazil v dubnu r. 1937 a poslední vyrobený kus 3. dubna 1939. V prosinci 1938 přišly Stranraery i k 209. Sq. ve Felixstowe a později se přesunuly do Invergordonu a Obanu. V září 1939 v období "války v sedě" zahájily Stranraery pravidelné hlídkování nad Severním mořem, včetně pobřeží Norska. Byly používány pro dálkový průzkum a boj proti ponorkám, a to až do své náhrady osudem pronásledovaným typem Lerwick následujícího roku.

Sq. č. 240 pak byla jedinou jednotkou Coastal Command, která také provozovala Stranraery. Létala v červnu r. 1940 z Pembroke Dock a využívala Stranraery k hlídkové službě nad Westren Approaches. I její Stranraery byly posléze v březnu 1941 nahrazeny, tentokrát typem Catalina. Po stažení z operační služby sloužily dále k výcvikovým účelům až do října 1942

Stranraer byl stavěn ve větších počtech a měl delší životnost mimo Spojené království než v samotném metropolním RAF. Mezi roky 1939 a 1941 bylo u Canadian Vickers postaveno v licenci celkem 40 strojů. Kanadské stroje byly identické s britskými, pouze přistávací reflektor byl umístěn na levém spodním křídle. Prvních 17 strojů mělo ještě motory Pegasus X, ostatních 23 motory Pegasus XXII o výkonu 1 010 cv. V listopadu 1936 byly objednány první 3 kusy. První kanadský Stranraer (RCAF 907) vzlétl 21. listopadu 1936 s pilotem Herbertem Hollick-Kenyonem. Po zařazení do výzbroje sloužily Stranraery RCAF pro pobřežní průzkumné a protiponorkové úlohy a jako ozbrojený doprovod lodních konvojů. Jejich nejslavnější akcí byl v červnu 1939 doprovod linkové lodi Rainha Maria, na jejíž palubě připlul na návštěvu Kanady královský pár Jiří VI. uma královna Elizabeth. Dobu produkce prodlužovaly především Problémy s nedostatkem materiálu. Produkce x Montrealu u Canadian Vickers byla ukončena x prosinci r. 1941. Na začátku války jich v RCAF sloužilo ještě osm. Stroje se osvědčily, ale začínal být pociťován jejich omezený dolet, v této fázi války již nevyhovující. Od října 1941 byly používány jenom v Tichém oceáně. Nakonec byly během r. 1943 s konečnou platností vyřazeny a nahrazeny stroji Consolidated Canso (Catalina). Stroje byly - stejně jako v metropoli - využívány pro druholiniové úlohy. S konečnou platností byly vyřazeny ze služby až v únoru 1945. Poslední letadlo RCAF odepsaly v lednu 1946. V civilní letectvím tam Stranraery létaly až do r. 1963.

Stranraer byl někdy posádkami přezdíván "pískající kadibudka" ("uma casa de merda que apita"). Tato přezdívka vznikla tím, že toaleta se otevírala přímo ven do volného prostoru, a když byl její kryt zvednutý, průvan způsobil, že toaleta začala hvízdat.

Po odchodu ze služeb Královského kanadského letectva bylo 20 Stranraerů prodáno společnosti Siple Aviation Ltd., 13 z nich získalo civilní registraci (německá wiki uvádí počet až 14 kusů, které přežily v Kanaděů). 2 stroje - Stranraery CF-BXO a CF-BYX (ex-RCAF 920 a 915) dostaly motory Wright GR-1820-G202GA Cyclone o výkonu 1 000 CV a neoficielní přezdívku "Super Streamer". Společnost Queen Charlotte Airlines používala Stranraery až do r. 1950 a stroje létaly od Vancouveru až po tichomořské pobřeží Britské Kolumbie.

Do současnosti dochovaný Stranraer (CF-BXO - jeden ze zmíněných Super Streamerů) nyní vlastní RAF muzeum v Hendonu. Po rekonstrukci contra Abbotsfordu contra Britské Kolumbii nese barvy svého největšího uživatele, tedy RCAF.

Supermarine typ 230 Stranraer - dvoumotorový dvojplošný celokovový hydroplán s dvojitými směrovkami. Motory byly umístěny na horní části křídla. Počítalo se s přepravou neskladných nákladů (leteckých motorů, torpéd) na vrchní části trupu letadla.

Konstrukce byla převážně duralová, s kostrou trupu pokrytou duralovým plechem a křídly potaženými tkaninou a impregnovanými lakem. Některé části dostaly potah nerezovým plechem.

V přídi bylo umístěno střeliště s jedním kulometem Lewis, montovaným na otočném kruhu, ve hřbetní části a zádi pak další střeliště s kulometem Lewis. Motory Pegasus X byly v posledních kanadských strojích nahrazeny typem Pegasus XXII. Výzbroj tvořily 3 kulomety ráže (0,303 in) 7,69 mm, pumy fazer 450 kg.


O primeiro corte vai mais fundo. Estamos indo!

Não tem problema, cara, você me pegou em & quotAh, uma aeronave cara ao meu coração. & quot
O meu também, vou postar os dias de trabalho antes de ir para a cama todos os dias, este grupo é ótimo mas pode matar seu tempo com distrações.

Eu comecei, nesta Bonnie Stranny,
Meu para comandar com travesti de plástico,
A linha de referência, desenhada reta e verdadeira,
Eu tenho todas as minhas coisas e minha cola,

O primeiro corte, feito é mais profundo,
Cuidado, Al! Você pode ter perdido a barbatana!
Essas embarcações aquáticas, eu construo no meu lazer,
Então voá-los, dá tanto prazer.

Modelos em escala de aeronaves do passado,
Para recapturar coisas que não duraram,
Um pequeno lembrete, de dias passados,
Coisas que não víamos com nossos próprios olhos.

Para a frente e para cima, como dizem & quotPer Ardua ad Astra & quot Com trabalho para as estrelas ou, neste caso, para a praia. mais tarde, aplaude companheiros.
Saudações a todos, Al


Supermarine Stranraer decolando - História

Blackburn Kangaroo

Um pequeno número de cangurus prestou serviço no final da 1ª Guerra Mundial. Eles afundaram um submarino e danificaram outros quatro. Após a guerra, alguns foram convertidos para uso civil.

O kit é uma das últimas e melhores produções de Contrail que incluiu peças de metal branco. Uma versão com flutuadores também está disponível como um kit separado.

Comercial da Vickers Vimy

O Vimy Commercial pode ser considerado o primeiro avião comercial do mundo.

O kit consiste em uma fuselagem vacformada e um motor a partir do qual se pode construir o Vimy Commercial ou o Vernon. Outras peças precisam vir da versão FROG Vimy ou Maquette. A versão Maquette inclui os decalques da Instone Airlines.

SARO Londres

O London entrou em serviço na RAF em 1936. Alguns ainda voavam nos primeiros anos da guerra. Foi um dos últimos barcos voadores da era dos biplanos.

O kit é relativamente rudimentar, mas não há outro disponível. Vale a pena o esforço de construir.

Supermarine Stranraer


O Stranraer é um dos primeiros kits do Contrail e dá para ver. Era o único modelo do tipo disponível em 1/72, ou qualquer escala, até que a Matchbox produziu seu excelente kit. O kit Contrai muitas vezes pode ser comprado por preços bastante modestos.

Blackburn Iris


Esta aeronave data de meados da década de 1920. Apenas cinco foram construídos, mas serviu com esquadrões da RAF até 1934.

O kit é bastante básico, com molduras pesadas em forma de saco nas asas para representar o tecido. É, no entanto, bastante simples de construir como de costume, apenas as escoras para causar dificuldades. Os decalques devem ser provenientes de outro lugar.

Blackburn Perth


O Perth foi um desenvolvimento do Iris e, de fato, compartilha muitas de suas partes. A cabine de comando foi fechada. Foi o maior barco voador que já serviu na RAF, embora apenas quatro tenham entrado em serviço.

O kit é semelhante ao Iris em muitos aspectos.

Supermarine Scapa

Apenas 15 Scapas foram construídos. O protótipo foi desenhado por R.J. Mitchell e voou pela primeira vez em 1932 por 'Mutt' Summers (piloto de teste do Spitfire). Serviu entre 1935 e 1939.

Embora muito menor do que os barcos voadores com três motores, pode ser transformado em um modelo atraente.

Supermarine Southampton

O Southampton foi desenvolvido a partir de um barco voador civil chamado Swan. Era outro dos projetos de R.J.Mitchell. Entrou em serviço na RAF em 1925. Um total de 85 unidades foram construídas.

O kit é tão básico quanto os outros, neste até faltando o detalhe das costelas. Deve ser aplicado com jito esticado. A escala também pode ser suspeita, pois não chega a 1/72. Um artigo de Hugh Markham na Scale Models Magazine de setembro de 1975 mostra como construir um.

Rangoon curto

Short Calcutta

O modelo usa fuselagem 'sobressalente', cápsulas do motor e parte central das asas superiores do kit Contrail. Todas as outras partes foram construídas em scratch.

Short Mayo Composite

Esta combinação de aeronaves voou pela primeira vez em 1937. A Maia forneceu a aeronave de lançamento para a aeronave de passageiros Mercury. A primeira travessia do Atlântico pelo Mercúrio foi em 1938.

Scratch construiu Mercúrio, principalmente de madeira balsa.

Handley Page HP42

As quatro fotos abaixo mostram a maquete construída pelo autor da web.

Este foi um projeto variado extremamente bem-sucedido, que voou pela primeira vez em 1917 e ainda estava em serviço em 1940. Havia muitas variantes do tipo do IIIA ao IIIF.

O kit traz opcionais e peças suficientes para a confecção de três modelos completos, tanto com flutuadores e rodas quanto outros diferenciais. É uma aeronave completamente ignorada por todos os principais fabricantes de kits de injeção.

Boulton Paul Overstrand

O Overstand foi o último dos bombardeiros médios biplanos. Entrou em serviço em 1936. Foi o primeiro a ter uma torre operada por energia.

Um Sidestand, a versão anterior, também pode ser construído a partir do kit. Uma versão também foi produzida pela Esoteric que incluía peças de metal branco.

Blackburn Baffin

O Baffin foi desenvolvido a partir do Ripon anterior, a principal diferença sendo o motor radial Pegasus. Serviu como bombardeiro torpedeiro entre 1934 e 1936.

O kit tem peças suficientes para fazer o Ripon e o Baffin e quem pode resistir a construir os dois?

Blackburn Ripon

O Ripon serviu às FAA entre 1930 e 1935, quando foi substituído pelo Baffin. Alguns Ripons foram convertidos dando-lhes o motor radial Pegasus.

O kit permite que o Ripon e o Baffin sejam construídos. Não há nada de novo em 'compre um, leve um de graça'.

Hawker Horsley

O Horsley serviu entre 1926 e 1935. Foi a última aeronave Hawker toda de madeira. O Dantorp era uma versão naval para a marinha dinamarquesa com flutuadores e um motor radial.

O kit é bastante rudimentar com linhas recortadas para mostrar as costelas das asas. O sprue alongado deve ser adicionado para fazê-los ficar ligeiramente em pé. Existem algumas peças pretas moldadas por injeção que são rudes, mas quase utilizáveis.

Blackburn Blackburn

O Blackburn usava asas do Dart, mas com fuselagem redesenhada. Entrou em serviço na FAA em 1923. É possivelmente uma das aeronaves mais feias a decolar de um porta-aviões, em uma competição acirrada por esse título.

As nervuras das asas devem ser adicionadas com jito esticado ou qualquer outro método de sua preferência. Existem algumas peças de injeção de plástico preto que quase não são possíveis de usar.

Vickers Vildebeest

O Vildebeest voou pela primeira vez em 1928. Serviu no Oriente Médio durante a década de 1930. Ele permaneceu em serviço, mesmo voando contra as forças japonesas em 1942. Uma versão com motor em linha foi construída na Espanha pela CASA.

O kit fornece peças para construir o Vildebeest ou o Vickers Vincent.

Vickers Vincent

O Vincent foi desenvolvido a partir do Vildebeest em 1931. Ele carregava um tanque de combustível sob a barriga, mas, fora isso, parecia o mesmo que um Vildebeest. O modelo mostra a aeronave nas marcações da Nova Zelândia.

O Vincent pode ser construído como opção no kit Vildebeest / Vincent.

Handley Page Harrow

O Harrow voou pela primeira vez em 1936. Ele rapidamente entrou em serviço na RAF como um bombardeiro pesado. Foi substituído como bombardeiro em 1939, mas continuou na 2ª Guerra Mundial em outras funções.

O kit é bastante simples de construir, sem complicações de escoras além dos suportes do material rodante.

Handley Page Heyford

O Heyford foi o último bombardeiro pesado biplano. Serviu entre 1933 e 1937.

O kit é bastante básico e, claro, o kit de injeção Matchbox / Revell foi posteriormente produzido contra o qual o kit Contrail não é uma competição em detalhes e precisão.

Douglas B-7 / O-35

Este foi o primeiro bombardeiro monoplano a servir na USAAC. Era mais rápido do que alguns aviões de caça de sua época.

O kit é um produto padrão da Contrail que precisa de um pouco de esforço para ter uma aparência decente.

SARO Lerwick

Blackburn Botha

O Botha entrou em serviço em 1939, mas não era tão eficaz quanto o Beaufort, então foi retirado do serviço de linha de frente. Foi usado para patrulhas de comboio e anti-submarino.

Versões posteriores do kit incluíam algumas peças de metal. Não há detalhes de superfície, portanto, isso deve ser traçado.

Armstrong Whitworth Albemarle

O Albemarle foi projetado como um bombardeiro, mas foi usado principalmente como um transporte geral e rebocador de planador. O modelo o mostra com marcações do Dia D. Também foi usado para o assalto Operação Market Garden.

O kit é o padrão Contrail em sua falta de detalhes. As áreas envidraçadas são especialmente difíceis de acertar.

Hamilcar de Aeronaves Gerais

WACO C.G. 13a

Um planador maior que o C.G. 4, foi usado operacionalmente no teatro de guerra do Pacífico, mas não na Europa.

Monitor de Milhas

Projetado como um rebocador alvo perto do final da 2ª Guerra Mundial, apenas 10 foram construídos.

Bristol Buckingham (kit também emitido pela Sanger)

O Buckingham foi designado como um bombardeiro médio, mas não teve sucesso nessa função ou mesmo em qualquer função. Alguns foram usados ​​como aeronaves de correio de alta velocidade.

O kit (da Sanger) vem com algumas peças de metal fundido. Os moldes Contrail são, como sempre, bastante rudes e precisam de algum trabalho para ser arrumados.

Westland Welkin

O Welkin foi concebido como um interceptor de grande altitude. Apenas 77 foram construídos. Quando foi construído, não havia nada para interceptar.

O kit é tão básico quanto um vacform pode ser. Não há peças de metal ou injeção e os detalhes da superfície são inexistentes.

Supermarine Scimitar

A cimitarra foi uma aeronave RN de linha de frente entre 1958 e 1969. Pouco mais da metade foi destruída em acidentes.

O kit é bastante simples de construir, desde que as peças sejam limpas e marcadas.

A história malfadada do TSR2 é bem conhecida. Um exemplo do tipo pode ser visto no museu da aeronave Cosfrod.

O kit foi o único disponível do tipo por muitos anos, então podia atingir preços elevados. Então a Airfix produziu seu kit de injeção a um preço razoável. O resultado, como geralmente é o caso, é que os kits vacform não construídos repentinamente perderam seu valor.

AVRO Lincoln

O Lincoln foi o último bombardeiro pesado com motor de pistão da RAF. Seu desenvolvimento do Lancaster está claro para ver.

O kit Contrail fornece todas as grandes peças básicas de que uma pessoa precisa. O resto deve ser feito à mão ou as peças retiradas de peças sobressalentes. Mas, além de converter um Lancaster usando peças de reposição ou construção zero, não há outra escolha.

Vickers Valiant

O Valiant foi o primeiro dos três bombardeiros V. Ele saiu de serviço em 1965.

O kit tem linhas de painel bastante profundas que prejudicam sua aparência. O kit forneceu peças de injeção para o material rodante. O kit Contrail sofreu o mesmo destino que o TSR2, pois poderia atingir preços elevados até que a Airfix produzisse um kit de injeção topo de linha.

Latecoere 631

Este é um dos kits Contrail mais procurados, mas cuidado - ele é grande! O esquema de cores foi projetado para a aeronave, mas nunca foi usado.


Supermarine Stranraer decolando - História

Canadian Vickers (Supermarine) Stranraer

Dados atuais até 7 de maio de 2021.

(DND Photo, PL-1176, via Mike Kaehler)

Canadian Vickers Stranraer, RCAF (No. de série 913), CV190, codificado QN-B, No. 5 (Reconhecimento de bombardeiros) Squadron, RCAF Station Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, em algum momento entre 1938 e 1941. Observe as linhas sob o código QN-B indicam que esta é uma aeronave de uma unidade de estabelecimento de defesa doméstica canadense. Ele está carregando bombas sob as asas. O 913 voou com o Esquadrão No. 4 (BR), RCAF Station Jericho Beach, British Columbia, em meados de 1940. Posteriormente, foi pilotado pelo No. 120 (BR) Squadron no RCAF Station Coal Harbour, British Columbia, de 1941 a 1943. Para registro civil como CF-BYF, registrado em 6 de abril de 1945 para WC Stiple of Montreal. Exportado para a Aero Transport Corporation de Tampa, Flórida, em setembro de 1945, tornou-se NR45327. Posteriormente, registrou-se no Caribe como VP-JAK.

O Canadian Vickers (Supermarine 304) Stranraer era um barco voador dos anos 1930 que entrou em operação em 1937. Muitos estavam em serviço no início da Segunda Guerra Mundial, realizando patrulhas anti-submarino e escolta de comboio. Além de aeronaves fabricadas na Inglaterra, a empresa canadense Vickers em Montreal, Quebec, construiu 40 Stranraers sob licença para o RCAF. Os Stranraers da RCAF serviram em capacidades anti-submarino e de defesa costeira nas costas do Atlântico e Pacífico do Canadá, e permaneceram em serviço até 1946. Após sua retirada do serviço militar, muitos Stranraers canadenses foram vendidos para novas companhias aéreas regionais e serviram como passageiros comerciais e operação de cargueiro bem na década de 1950.

Vickers Stranraer canadense (40), (Nºs de série 907, 908, 909, 910, 911, 912, 913, 914, 915, 916, 918, 919, 920, 921, 922, 923, 927, 928, 929, 930, 931, 932, 933, 934, 935, 936, 937, 938, 947, 948, 949, 950, 951, 952, 953, 954, 955, 956 e 957).

O Stranraer foi pilotado por RCAF Operational Squadrons of the Home War Establishment (HWE) pelas seguintes unidades baseadas no Canadá.

No. 5 Squadron RCAF (Nov 38 - Set 41)

No. 117 Squadron RCAF (Set 41 - Out 41)

Esquadrão RCAF do Comando Aéreo Ocidental nº 4 (de 39 de julho a 43 de setembro)

No. 6 Squadron RCAF (novembro 41 - maio 43)

No. 7 Squadron RCAF (de 43 de fevereiro a 44 de março)

No. 9 Squadron RCAF (dez. 41 - abr. 43)

No. 13 Treinamento Operacional (OT) Esquadrão RCAF (outubro 41 - novembro 42)

No. 120 Squadron RCAF (Nov 41 - Out 43)

(Foto RCAF de Mike Kaehler)

Canadian Vickers Stranraer, RCAF (Serial No. 937), No. 9 (Bomber Reconnaissance) Squadron, chegando à doca após um voo de patrulha em Bella Bella, uma passagem que se estende entre a Ilha Campbell e a Ilha Denny na Costa Oeste do Canadá, cerca de dezembro 1941 a abril de 1943. Observe as duas cargas de profundidade sob a asa de estibordo e a âncora flutuante / flutuante pendurada na escotilha do meio, logo atrás das cargas de profundidade. 937 também voou com No. 117 (Bomber Reconnaissance) Squadron, RCAF Station Sydney e RCAF Station Dartmouth Nova Scotia antes de ingressar no No. 9 (BR) Squadron em Bella Bella, British Columbia, e mais tarde Jericho Beach, British Columbia de agosto de 1941 a Março de 1944. Sua força foi retirada em 8 de março de 1944.

(Foto da Biblioteca e Arquivos do Canadá, AYG-222)

Canadian Vickers Stranraer, RCAF (No. de série 948), No. 6 (BR) Squadron, em sua base em Alliford Bay, British Columbia. 948 foi pilotado pelo Esquadrão No. 6 (Bomber Reconnaissane), da RCAF Station Alliford Bay de 1941 a 1943. Ele sofreu danos de categoria C em Patricia Bay, British Columbia, em 28 de abril de 1942. Teve forças em 29 de novembro de 1944, em 5 de janeiro 1945 foi para o registro civil como CF-BYB, registrado no WC Stiple of Montreal. Posteriormente, foi exportado para a Aero Transport Corporation de Tampa, Flórida, Reg. No. NR45326.

04 de março de 1936. O Esquadrão No. 6 (Torpedo Bomber) foi autorizado em Trenton, Ontário. Foi mobilizado em 10 de setembro de 1939. Em 31 de outubro de 1939, foi redesignado no 6º Esquadrão (Reconhecimento de Bombardeiros) em Jericho Beach, British Columbia. O esquadrão foi dissolvido em Coal Harbour, British Columbia, em 7 de agosto de 1945. O esquadrão voou no canadense Vickers Vedette, Blackburn Shark Mk. II e II, Supermarine Stranraer, Consolidated Canso A, Consolidated Catalina Mk. IB e Mk. IIIA e Noorduyn Norseman.

(CFJIC, DND Photo PL-9596 via Don Smith)

Canadian Vickers Stranraer, RCAF (Serial No. 937), 9 (Bomber Reconnaissance) Squadron, incamoflage paint, mostrado aqui em um vôo de patrulha, possivelmente sobre Bella Bella, uma passagem que corre entre a Ilha Campbell e a Ilha Denny na Costa Oeste do Canadá, cerca de dezembro de 1941 a abril de 1943. Um artilheiro está comandando a posição da metralhadora traseira. 937 voou com No. 117 (Bomber Reconnaissance) Squadron, RCAF Stations Sydney e Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, e RCAF Stations Bella Bella e Jericho Beach, British Columbia de 14 de agosto de 1941 a 8 de março de 1944, quando perdeu força.

(CFJIC, DND Photo PL-9595 via Don Smith)

Canadian Vickers Stranraer, RCAF (Serial No. 937), 9 (Bomber Rreconnaissance) Esquadrão, em um vôo de patrulha, possivelmente sobre Bella Bella, uma passagem que se estende entre a Ilha Campbell e a Ilha Denny na Costa Oeste do Canadá, cerca de dezembro de 1941 a abril 1943.

(Foto RCAF)

Vickers Stranraer canadense, RCAF (No. de série 937), 9 (Reconhecimento de bombardeiro) Esquadrão, em um vôo de patrulha, possivelmente sobre Bella Bella, uma passagem que se estende entre a Ilha Campbell e a Ilha Denny na costa oeste do Canadá, cerca de dezembro de 1941 a abril 1943. Os artilheiros estão ocupando as posições de nariz e traseira da metralhadora. O Stranraer está carregando cargas de profundidade sob as asas, em uma patrulha costeira de rotina

(CFJIC, DND Photo PL 9594 via Don Smith)

Canadian Vickers Stranraer, RCAF (No. de série 937), 9 (Reconhecimento de Bombardeiros) Esquadrão, RCAF Station Bella Bella, British Columbia, ca de dezembro de 1941 a abril de 1943.

(Foto RCAF)

Canadian Vickers Stranraer, RCAF (Nº de série 937), 9 (Reconhecimento de bombardeiros) Esquadrão, Colúmbia Britânica, cerca de dezembro de 1941 a abril de 1943.

(CFJIC, DND Photo PL-9608 via Don Smith)

Vickers Stranraer canadense, tripulação da RCAF preparando o almoço.

(CFJIC, DND Photo PL-9609 via Don Smith)

Vickers Stranraer canadense, tripulação da RCAF almoçando.

(Foto do British Columbia Aviation Museum)

Vickers Stranraer canadense (No. de série 932), 1941. 932 foi levado com força em 10 de julho de 1941. Ele caiu em um vôo de treinamento em 2 de novembro de 1941 e foi destruído pelo fogo. Ele perdeu força em 7 de fevereiro de 1942.

(Foto RCAF de Mike Kaehler)

Canadian Vickers Stranraer, RCAF, sendo reabastecido à noite.

(Foto de Bill Larkins)

Canadian Vickers Stranraer, RCAF (No. de série 952), na Estação Aérea da Guarda Costeira de São Francisco, Califórnia, 23 de novembro de 1941.

(Foto RCAF)

Canadian Vickers Stranraer, RCAF (Nº de Série 913), CV190, QN-B codificado, Nº 5 (Reconhecimento de Bombardeiros) Esquadrão, RCAF Station Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, em algum momento entre 1938 e 1941. 913 tripulações serviram com o Comando Aéreo Oriental, voando em patrulhas anti-submarinas durante a operação em Dartmouth e Sydney, Nova Scotia e Gaspé, Quebec. Stranraer (Nº de série 913), codificado QN-B, foi assumido no comando em 8 de setembro de 1939 e voou em sua primeira patrulha em 17 de setembro de 1939. O Esquadrão Nº 5 (Reconhecimento de Bombardeiros) continha sete Stranraers, (Nº de série 907, 908, 909, 910, 911, 913 e 914).

O Stranraer carregava uma carga máxima de 1000 libras de bombas e, no papel, tinha um alcance de 1.080 milhas, vazio. Em operações reais, o armamento, o equipamento e o peso da tripulação reduziram significativamente o desempenho do Stranraer para 540 milhas, enquanto as condições meteorológicas da costa leste canadense também reduziram muito os dias em que este barco voador de 1934 poderia voar. Conforme registrado nas instruções de patrulha anti-submarina, os barcos voadores Stranraer acompanharam todos os comboios de navios de Halifax que partiam e chegavam, com um tempo de vôo seguro de cinco horas e meia, para cada patrulha do amanhecer ao anoitecer. A resistência máxima segura de um Stranraer com 1.000 libras de bombas era de 6 horas, a uma velocidade de cruzeiro de 145 km / h.

(Foto RCAF)

Canadian Vickers Stranraer, RCAF (No. de Série 914), QN-O codificado, No. 5 (Reconhecimento de Bombardeiros) Squadron, Eastern Air Command, da RCAF Station Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, de 1938 a 1941. 914 então foi para No. 4 (Bomber Reconnaissance) Esquadrão em Ucluelet, British Columbia em 1942. Para registro civil como CF-BYH, registrado para WC Stiple of Montreal em 17 de julho de 1945. Exportado para a Aero Transport Corporation de Tampa Florida em setembro de 1945, tornou-se NR45389, então VP-JAJ.

Este barco voador Stranraer voou da estação RCAF de Dartmouth pelo Esquadrão No. 5 (GR) (letras de código QN) de novembro de 1938 a setembro de 1941. Durante a visita do Rei George VI e da Rainha Elizabeth ao Canadá de maio a junho de 1939, No. 5 Esquadrão Stranraers da RCAF Station Dartmouth escoltaram o transatlântico Imperatriz da Grã-Bretanha em sua partida do porto de Halifax com o Rei e a Rainha a bordo. A primeira missão operacional da Segunda Guerra Mundial foi realizada de Dartmouth em 10 de setembro de 1939, quando Stranraer (número de série 908) foi encarregado de conduzir uma busca de navios inimigos nas proximidades de Halifax. Nos meses seguintes, os Stranraers do 5º Esquadrão normalmente decolariam de Dartmouth às 5h30, forneceriam proteção anti-submarino a um comboio de saída de Halifax e pousariam na água na Ilha Sable ao meio-dia para reabastecer. No final da tarde, o Stranraer decolaria da Ilha Sable, retornaria ao comboio ou conduziria operações anti-submarinas independentes, finalmente pousando de volta na Estação RCAF de Dartmouth por volta da meia-noite.

(Foto RCAF)

Vickers Stranraer canadense, RCAF (No. de série 914), QN-O codificado, No. 5 (reconhecimento de bombardeiros) Esquadrão, Comando Aéreo Oriental, operando da Estação RCAF Dartmouth, Nova Scotia.

(CFJIC, DND Photo PL-105 via Don Smith)

Canadian Vickers Stranraer, RCAF (Serial No. 914), codificado QN-O, No. 5 (GR) Squadron, Eastern Air Command, RCAF Station Dartmouth, Nova Scotia.

(Foto da Biblioteca e Arquivos do Canadá, MIKAN No. 3584227)

Canadian Vickers Stranraer, RCAF, abril de 1949.

(Foto da Biblioteca e Arquivos do Canadá, MIKAN No. 3203454)

Canadian Vickers Stranraer, RCAF (No. de série 912), mostrado aqui no rio Ottawa em 13 de julho de 1939. Posteriormente, foi baseado na estação RCAF Jericho Beach, British Columbia, com o esquadrão No. 4 (Reconhecimento de bombardeiro), de 16 de julho de 1939 912 foi o primeiro Stranraer a esta unidade. Posteriormente, voou com o No. 120 (Bomber Reconnaissance) Squadorn em Coal Harbour, British Columbia, em 1942.

(Foto dos Arquivos da Cidade de Vancouver, AM336-S3-2-: CVA 677-380)

Canadian Vickers Stranraer, RCAF (No. de série 912), RCAF Station Jericho Beach, British Columbia.

(Foto da Biblioteca e Arquivos do Canadá, MIKAN No. 3581388)

Canadian Vickers Stranraer, RCAF (No. de série 912), RCAF Station Jericho Beach, British Columbia, 13 de julho de 1939.

(Foto da Biblioteca e Arquivos do Canadá, MIKAN No. 3584228)

Canadian Vickers Stranraer, RCAF (Serial No. 954), codificado BD-H, em vôo, 7 de abril de 1949. Esta aeronave foi pilotada pelo No. 166 Squadron de setembro de 1943 a fevereiro de 1944.

(Foto do Museu da Força Aérea Comox via WO CD Cunningham)

Canadian Vickers Stranraer, RCAF (Serial No. 935), codificado XE-C, No. 6 (Bomber Reconnaissance) Squadron, na RCAF Station Alliford Bay, British Columbia, em 1941. O código da unidade de XE-C está sublinhado indicando uma casa esquadrão baseado. Tragicamente em 14 de fevereiro de 1943, durante um vôo de treinamento, este Stranraer caiu no Canal Skidegate entre as ilhas Maude e Lina. P / O DS MacLennan, P / O LG Thompson, P / O FW McConkey, Oficial de Contas CT Fields, Sgt JO Gilmou r e Cpl JP Spraling foram todos mortos. Membros do esquadrão enviados para investigar o local do acidente encontraram muitos destroços e um grande número de peixes mortos flutuando por toda a área. A partir das evidências, os investigadores concluíram que as quatro cargas de profundidade da aeronave explodiram com o impacto.

(Foto da Biblioteca e Arquivos do Canadá, MIKAN No. 3553994)

Canadian Vickers Stranraers em construção, Canadian Vickers Plant.

(Foto da Biblioteca e Arquivos do Canadá, MIKAN No. 3651067)

Vickers Stranraer canadense, RCAF (No. de série 907), Esquadrão No. 5 (GR), Comando Oriental. O tenente de voo Leonard Birchall voando Stranraer (nº de série 907) e sua tripulação, foram responsáveis ​​pela captura de um navio mercante italiano, o Capo Nola , in the Gulf of Saint Lawrence , hours after Canada declared war on Italy on 10 June 1940. Flight Officer Birchall had been tasked with locating any Italian vessels still in Canadian waters as war became imminent. On 10 June, he located the Capo Nola , which had recently departed from Quebec. Birchall had been informed of the declaration of war by radio and so made a low pass over the freighter, as if making an attack. This panicked the captain into running his vessel aground against a sandbank. Birchall then touched down nearby and waited until Royal Canadian Navy vessels reached the scene. o Capo Nola's crew were the first Italian prisoners taken by the Allies during the war.

At 16:34 Hrs, 10 September 1939, No. 5 (GR) Squadron was officially at War, and three Stranraer flying boats (Serial Nos. 907, 908 and 909), were in the air on patrol.

(CFJIC, DND Photo via Don Smith)

Canadian Vickers Stranraer formation, RCAF (Serial No.), coded FY-A, (Serial No. 903), coded FY-D and (Serial No. 915), coded FY-B, No. 4 (Bomber Reconnaissance), Squadron, Tofino, British Columbia.

(British Columbia Aviation Museum Photo)

Canadian Vickers Stranraer, RCAF (Serial No. 921), No. 13 Operational Training (OT) Squadron, Patricia Bay, British Columba, ca 1942. With No. 5 (Bomber Reconnaissance) Squadron, Eastern Air Command, in 1941. With No. 13 (OT) Squadron, RCAF Station Patricia Bay , BC, 1941 to 1942. To civil register as CF-BYD, registered to W.C. Stiple of Montreal on 13 February 1945. Exported to Aero Transport Corporation of Tampa Florida in June 1945, became NX45325.

(RCAF Photo via Joel Rushworth)

Canadian Vickers Stranraer, RCAF (Serial No. 910), No. 4 (Bomber Reconaissance) Squadron, after a forced landing, Coal Harbour, British Columba, 1942. 910 was flown directly to No. 5 (BR) Squadron, RCAF Station Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, early in 1939. It was t aken on strength at Dartmouth , on 30 May 1939. it later served with No. 4 (Bomber Reconnaissance) Squadron at RCAF Stations Jericho Beach and Ucluelet , British Columbia , from 1939 to c.1942. It returned to No. 5 (BR) Squadron in 1942. To civil register postwar as CF-BYE, registered on 17 July 1945 to W.C. Stiple of Montreal . Exported to Aero Transport Corporation of Tampa , Florida in September 1945, became NR43590. Later became VP-JAH.

On 7 Feb 1943, a ferry trip in 910 was flightplanned out from Coal Harbour to Ucluelet to enable the aircraft to undergo a major inspection. The pilot, Flying Officer Buchanan and his five other crew members, were to do a coast crawl from Coal Harbour to Ucluelet Gouges. Stranraer 910 had to make a forced landing due to bad weather on 8 Feb 1943 and landed in Malksome Inlet at 09:10 hours. While taxxing in unfamiliar waters, the hull slightly scraped an uncharted rock causing Category C4 damage. The crew spent the night in the aircraft. This photo may have been taken after 910 returned to RCAF Station Ucluelet the following day.. (Chris Charland)

(RCAF Photo)

Canadian Vickers Stranraer Air Gunner L.A.C. Jacques Louis of St. Marie de Beauce, Quebec, manning his Browning Machine Gun in the nose turret position, on Canada's West Coast, 18 July 1942.

RCAF patrol areas on Canada's West coast during the Second World War.

Stranraers were flown out of several air stations set up on the west coast of Vancouver Island and further up the coast of British Columbia and the Queen Charlotte Islands (now known as the Haida Gwaii Islands). The Stranraers were flown on the west coast of Canada furthe r into the Second World War than the squadrons east coast which switched over to the Catalinas and Cansos because of the higher threat from the German Navy than was being experienced on the west coast from Japan. The map attached shows the more northern portion of their stations and patrol areas with the northern tip of Vancouver Island just visible at the bottom of the map. (Victor Penner)

(Michael Gaylard Photo)

Canadian Vickers Stranraer, RCAF (Serial No. 92 0), Reg. No. CF-BXO, survives in the collection of the RAF Museum, Hendon, London in the UK . 920 was built in 1940, one of the 40 built by Canadian Vickers. It was initially flown by No. 5 (Bomber Reconnaissance) Squadron, Eastern Air Command, on anti-submarine patrols, as a training aircraft and carrying passengers. It was flown later by N o. 7 (Bomber Reconnaissance) Squadron, RCAF Station Prince Rupert, British Columbia, 1941. 920 was later flown by No. 9 (Bomber Reconnaissance) Squadron, RCAF Station Bella Bella , British Columbia from 1941 to 1944. 920 suffered Category B damage while with this unit, on 16 September 1943. To civil register as CF-BXO, to Labrador Mining and Exploration Company of Montreal on 24 May 1944. To Queen Charlotte Airlines on 28 May 1947, flying from Vancouver along the Pacific coast of British Columbia. 920 was c onverted to Super Stranraer March 1950, with American Wright GR-1820-G202A engines. Damaged at Sullivan Bay, British C on 23 February 1952, stored. To W.K. Slye on 15 December 958, then to Stranraer Aerial Enterprises of Vancouver oolumbia on 28 June 1962. Purchased by the RAF Museum in 1970, and transported from Abbotsford , BC to the UK inside an RAF Belfast. Now in RAF Museum , Hendon , UK , marked as RCAF 920, but still in Super Stranraer configuration.

(Clemens Vasters Photo)

Canadian Vickers Stranraer, RCAF (Serial No. 92 0), RAF Museum, Hendon, London in the UK .

(Doug Gent Photo)

Canadian Vickers Stranraer, Queen Charlotte Airlines, ca 1952-1955.

Parts of a second Stranraer, RCAF (Serial No. 915), Reg. NO. CF-BYJ, are owned by the Shearwater Aviation Museum, CFB Shearwater, near Halifax, Nova Scotia. This aircraft also operated with Queen Charlotte Airlines until it crashed on Christmas Eve 1949 at Belize Inlet, British Columbia. Most of the aircraft was recovered in the 1980s, with the exception of the forward fuselage and cockpit.

Queen Charlotte Airlines owned five Stranraers

CF-BXO, known as “Alaska Queen”, Supermarine Stranraer (Serial No. 920). Built by Canadian Vickers at its St. Hubert, Montreal, Quebec Plant, using British equipment, and fitted with 810 hp Bristol Pegasus X engines. Sold to PWA and now in the RAF museum, last known survivor of this plane.

CF-BYI, known as “Haida Queen”, Supermarine Stranraer (Serial No. 907).

CF-BYL, known as “Skeena Queen”, Supermarine Stranraer (Serial No. 909).

CF-BYJ, Supermarine Stranraer (Serial No. 915 1947.

CF-BYM, Supermarine Stranraer (Serial No. 949), last Stranraer in service with RCAF until 20 Jan 1946, sold to PWA. Crashed 1 Oct 1957, into trees and burned taking off from Sovereign Lake, BC killing 4 occupants, plane written off.


Supermarine Stranraer taking off - History

The interview referred to by Hal (above) was probably the one on the old Bob Fortune show on the CBC.. He interviewed several pilots who had flown the Strannies, and they had fascinating tales of their incredible flying accumen. One was that you could come in 50 ft above the water, cut the engines, and make a complete 180 deg. turn and land.
Another was about a Strannie flying from Dartmouth over the Atlantic having engine trouble and having to set down on a very rough sea. The first thing the crew did was get out and kick the fabric off the lower wing to make sure it did not get caught by a wave and turn turtle. Then they put out a distress call which resulted in a Catalina being sent to their rescue. After the Strannie crew had rescued the crew from the Catalina, which promptly sank, they managed to fire up the Strannie engines again, and then taxied all the way back to Dartmouth, where the lower wing had to be re-fabriced before it went back in service.

In 1955 I flew in one of these planes on my way to Beaver cove for a job as boomman. I believe shortly after my flight it crashed. It was called the Tahsis Queen. If you have any information about this crash or the date when it occurred I would realy appreciate it.


Supermarine Stranraer taking off - History

A further 40 Supermarine Stranraer biplanes were built, under licence, by the Canadian Vickers company for the Royal Canadian Air Force.

The Supermarine Stranraer Biplane Histórico Operacional
Between 1937 and 1941, the Royal Air Force used 17 of these biplanes to carry out coastal reconnaissance. With an insignificant performance and general dislike by both ground and flight crews, it gained many nicknames including: whistling birdcage, flying Meccano set, strainer and whistling shithouse.

The Royal Canadian Air Force biplanes were in service with them between 1938 and 1944, and used for anti submarine coastal patrols.

The Supermarine Stranraer Biplane Later Years
Several of these biplanes were sold to civilian airlines after World War II. Eight went to Aero Transport Ltd. of Tampa, Florida, and thirteen to Queen Charlotte Airlines of British Columbia, where they remained in use until 1957.

There is only one intact example in existence today. It was one of the Canadian Vickers built Stranraers that was used by the Royal Canadian Air Force before being operated by Canadian Pacific Airlines and finally Queen Charlotte Airlines. It is currently on display in the Royal Air Force Museum, London.

Various scale models, model kits and plans of this aircraft have been available in the market place.

Supermarine Stranraer Biplane Specifications:

Supermarine Stranraer Crew: 6 to 7
Supermarine Stranraer Length: 54ft 9in (16.7m)
Supermarine Stranraer Wingspan: 85ft 0in (25.9m)
Supermarine Stranraer Height: 21ft 9in (6.6m)
Supermarine Stranraer Wing area: 1,457ft (135.4m )
Supermarine Stranraer Empty weight: 11,250lb (5,100kg)
Supermarine Stranraer Loaded weight: 19,000lb (8,620kg)
Supermarine Stranraer Engine: Twin Bristol Pegasus X radial engines, 920 hp (685 kW) each
Supermarine Stranraer Maximum speed: 165mph (265 km/h)
Supermarine Stranraer Range: 1000 mi (1,610 km)
Supermarine Stranraer Service Ceiling: 18,500ft (5,640m)


Supermarine RFC

Swindon and its neighbouring villages were the hub of a hastily-assembled aircraft industry spread over a number of sites which appeared as if by magic during the Second World War, before disappearing - although not quite as quickly - to leave only a few signposts to a remarkable period in the town's history.

Preparing for war

Aircraft manufacture in the area was first mooted in 1936 when the Air Ministry, with one eye on Germany's re-armament, started to make plans for 'shadow' sites which would provide back-up to the country's leading aircraft factories should they be attacked - and even substitute for them, if they were put out of action.

By 1938, with war seemingly inevitable, South Marston was chosen as a shadow site because of its good communication links, but mostly because it was so close to the large skilled workforce of Swindon's huge GWR factory. With the first planes to be built at South Marston due to be made from wood, the skills of craftsmen from the carriage and wagon shops were to prove vital.

South Marston was to shadow the Phillips and Powis Aircraft Ltd factory at Woodley, near Reading, and by 1940 some of the production of a training plane called the Miles Master was transferred to the new South Marston site.

The South Marston factory was ready by the summer of 1940 - just as the RAF was about to fight and win the Battle of Britain.

First production starts

By the following spring, the first South Marston Master had rolled off the production line and a year later the factory was turning out nearly 80 a month. In all, over a thousand Masters would be produced at South Marston and many Spitfire and Hurricane pilots learned their trade in a Master.

Some Masters could almost match the speed of early Spitfires and Hurricanes and were the first high-powered monoplane trainers with similar handling characteristics to the new fighters.

Stirling bomber

In August 1940, the Short Brothers Ltd factory at Rochester was bombed and put out of action, and when the Belfast factory was also attacked, the Ministry of Aircraft Production (MAP) switched much of the Short Stirling manufacturing to the Swindon area.

Fuselages were built at Blunsdon and fitted out at Sevenhampton, while parts (including wings) were also manufactured in No. 24 Shop in Swindon Railway Works and at a garage in the town centre (later to become Skurray's).

These parts were all taken to South Marston (which also produced some of the wings) for assembly in a new purpose-built factory called FS2.

Take-off and landing facilities were also needed for the four-engined Stirling so two 1,000-yard concrete runways were constructed close to the FS2 site.

These were painted with woodchips dipped in camouflage paint while sections of hedges were also put together to be spread across the runway when not in use to complete the deception.

The first Stirling took off for delivery to the RAF at the beginning of 1942 and soon the factory was completing 16 a month but, between the autumn of 1942 and the spring of 1943, production of both the Master and the Stirling was wound down with the intention of producing Lancaster bombers instead - these plans were then shelved as the factory prepared to play host to the world's most celebrated military aircraft.

The Spitfire story

Demand for the new generation of Spitfires - the Mark 21 - became so great that South Marston turned all its production facilities over to these most famous of fighters and became the shadow factory of the famous Castle Bromwich site in the Midlands and the original Supermarine factory in Southampton (which was extensively damaged by bombing in 1940) where RJ Mitchell designed and tested the original plane.

Much of the workforce received hasty retraining in metalwork as a result and, at first, the factory only carried out modifications on older Spitfires before the first South Marston-built Mark 21 was delivered to the RAF just before Christmas 1943.

South Marston's role in the Spitfire story, however, was short-lived. The new Spitfire was a high altitude fighter and - especially with D-Day on the horizon in the summer of 1944 - the situation had moved on.

In the end only 121 Mark 21s were built at South Marston, although another 50 modified Spitfires bound for naval action (which the Royal Navy called Seafires) were also made there.

Production of later versions of the Spitfire continued after the war before South Marston's last Spitfire (actually a Seafire) was completed in January 1949.

Spitfires also continued to fly out of South Marston after repairs and modifications, with most of these ending up in foreign air forces.

By the 1950s the South Marston factory was part of the Vickers-Armstrongs (Aircraft) Ltd, Supermarine Division.

Still the spirit of the Spitfire was proving persistent as production turned to the Attacker, a jet version of the Spiteful, which in turn had evolved from the Spitfire.

The Attacker was the Royal Navy's first jet fighter designed for launching from aircraft carriers, in all, 182 attackers were built at South Marston between 1950 and 1953.

Next off the production line in Swindon was the Supermarine Swift, an RAF fighter that had evolved from the Attacker.

This aircraft was destined for the record books when a South Marston-built Swift F.4 (WK198) set the world speed record at 736mph (32mph short of being the first supersonic aircraft), over Libya, on September 25th, 1953 - a record it held for just eight days.

In all, 197 Swifts were manufactured - all of them at South Marston.

The factory also produced Scimitar jets for the Royal Navy, and it was to be a Scimitar that would be the final complete aircraft built on the site, in January 1961.

Throughout the 1970s and 1980s, South Marston produced components for a wide range of other Vickers products - and major projects such as Concorde.

In the mid-1980s, Honda bought part of the site, adapted the runways to become a test track and made way for its 1.5million sq ft car plant by demolishing the original factory.

For many years ‘Vickers’ supported a thriving Sports & Social Club with the clubhouse positioned in the Industrial Estate (Stirling Road) and sporting facilities (for rugby, football, cricket, tennis, archery, bowls and others) dotted around the estate but as Vickers reduced their activity so the link with the Sports & Social Club diminished and the club became independent in the early 1980’s.

As Vickers moved away a new site was purchased just up the road from the old Clubhouse and the Sports & Social Club moved to its current site in the late 1980s.

Sadly the Cricket and Tennis clubs folded in the years that followed but Bowls and Football still thrive as independent clubs on the site whilst the Clubhouse and much of the land is now home to Supermarine Sports Club which is made up of Supermarine Rugby Club and Supermarine Bowmen.

The Rugby Club

Founded in 1958 as a Vickers Armstrong factory side primarily through the efforts of one determined employee Norbert (Bob) Little. Bob was the driving force and sole reason the club got off the ground despite initial resistance from the Vickers Armstrong management.

All of the initial fixtures had to be played away, as they would not grant us anywhere to play, and certainly nowhere near the clubhouse, which housed all the other sports with pitches attached. Eventually having been badgered by Bob every week, they finally allowed pitches to be established on the airfield, about ½ mile along the Highworth Road. Even then things were not straight forward as management were concerned the posts would attract birds, so they had to be taken down after every game.

In 1966 Vickers dropped the Armstrong and became Vickers (Swindon) Ltd. It was decided the rugby club would omit the Swindon part as it could have aligned us to another club in the town.

1980 started a total shift in the fate of the club, Vickers Properties sold the airfield to Honda UK, and started negotiations to sell the factory site.

As Vickers were no longer going to have a presence in the town, instructions were that we would need to have a name change and Supermarine was born after the Vickers Supermarine Spitfire which was produced during WW2 at the Highworth Road Factory.

1982 saw the start of the mini and junior section. From humble beginnings of around a dozen kids and a few enterprising dads, it now boasts 300 plus kids, from six years old and upwards, and an army of qualified coaches. Two of the original minis Stuart Cock and Rob Thorley are still involved as coaches in the section with children of their own now playing.

1985 Honda started production on the site and we became nomadic as far as pitches were concerned. For 2 years we played on a patch of land outside the Honda perimeter fence, affectionately known as “the rockery”. One other drawback was if the ball went over the fence we had to wait for the security patrol to come along and retrieve it.

1988 and a new home, where we are today. As with the rest of our chequered past it was not straight forward. During construction of the clubhouse many of the the drainage channels on the pitch area were broken by heavy machinery and the top soil was replaced with clay, which meant the pitches flooded at the slightest hint of rain. With heavy rain there was a serious risk of drowning. It was a far cry from the manicured surfaces we enjoy today.

In 1990 a group of hockey players put an article in the local paper looking to try rugby. We thought it a great idea and invited them to come and join us and the Ladies section was born. The main protagonists were 3 sisters, the Jellymans. One got more than she bargained for when she married the club captain, a certain Mr Steve Bartlett. Ladies rugby has come a long way since its formative years, producing two international capped players and now flying the club flag in the Championship (one league down from Premiership level).

The Rugby Club continues to flourish both on and off the pitch and we are well known as a family friendly club who play with passion and sportsmanship at every level.

The Archery Club

Vickers Supermarine Bowmen had their beginnings at Hursley Park (near Winchester) where Vickers Supermarine had their main design centre. When the design centre was moved to South Marston in 1958 some of the original members of the archery club at Hursley Park decided to re-form the club at South Marston. Initial shooting took place at lunchtimes with the first evening session taking place on 31 st July 1958. The club quickly became established and hosted the West of England field championship (at Stanton Fitzwarren) in 1960. The Marston Arrow tournament began the following year with a trophy manufactured in the apprentice training school.

By 1963 members were participating in open tournaments including the Dorset & Wiltshire County Championship and one Mr Pete Heads (champion of Middlesex in 1961) joined the club and subsequently became Dorset & Wiltshire County Champion in 1965 – Pete remains an active member today.

The Bowmen were granted permission to build their own pavilion on the sports field and over a period of two years a small band of volunteers worked to put this together with work being completed in 1969. At this time shooting alternated between the cricket field and football pitch depending on what games were being played. A recruitment drive was also initiated around this time with beginners equipment purchased and training provided by the established members during the summer months.

By 1971 membership and playing standards had improved markedly with three members selected for the Dorset & Wiltshire County Team. Indoor facilitites were found at Park North Junior School and increased storage facilities added to the back of the pavilion.

In 1973 the club entered the British Archer Indoor League with some notable successes being achieved, including by Nigel Baker at just 10 years of age and in 1974 the club won its first team trophy (at the Bradley Vale Open tournament) with members also taking part in the National Indoor Tournament at Cosford.

By 1975 medals were being won at various tournaments and Sue Wright became the clubs first Master Bowman whilst Sue and her husband Dave both shot for Dorset & Wiltshire. Sue also won the Indoor Dorset & Wilts Ladies County Championship (breaking the national record on the way) whilst Dave came second in the mens and Nigel Baker second in the juniors.

In 1977 Nigel went on to win the Bath gents trophy at the age of just 16 and subsequently because Junior Champion DWAA in 1978 and equalled the national record in winning both the County and Open awards at the County Indoor Championship in 1979.

In 1982 the bowmen started holding indoor shooting sessions in the function hall and this continues during the winter months to this day.

1985 saw the plans for the current Sports Club site being presented and also saw the amalgamation of Supermarine Bowmen with Wyvern Bowmen bringing stalwart Joan Griffiths to the club. The Marston Arrow was held at the new site for the first time in 1987 and the Archery Club were designated an exclusive area for their outdoor range but it was 1988 before the Archery Club pavilion was re-erected at the new site. The distance from the Clubhouse meant there was no electrical supply to the pavilion – something that was finally resolved when supply was established to a new pavilion during 2017.


Supermarine Stranraer taking off - History

Supermarine 304 Stranraer


The Stranraer was designed by J.R. Mitchell as a tender to Air Ministry R.24/31 Specification for a coastal reconnaissance flying boat for the RAF. It was turned down but Supermarine proceeded with the type as a private venture first known as the Southampton V. After all a contract was placed in 1933 for a prototype powered by two 820 hp Bristol Pegasus IIIM and the type became known as the Stranraer.

The Stranraers hull and structure were of metal with the wings and empennage covered with fabric in some places stainless steel was used. The six-crew consisted of a pilot, a navigator, a radio operator and gunners who had sleeping quarters and cooking facilities at their disposal. It had guns in nose, dorsal and tail positions, under the lower wing an 1,000 lb (454 kg) load of bombs or fuel could be carried.

The first flight was made on July 27, 1934 by Mutt Summers, following the initial flight-test programme the Stranraer (K3973) was delivered to the RAF on October 24. On August 29, 1935 an initial order was placed for 17 aircraft (K7287 to K7303) to the production specification 17/35. The production version was fitted with the 920 hp Pegasus X and the first flew in December 1936, entering service operations on April 16, 1937 the last Stranraer was delivered April 3, 1939. An additional order for six aircraft (K9676 to K9681) was placed in May 1936, but subsequently cancelled the type served until October 30, 1942.

Canada selected the Stranraer for service with the RCAF and Canadian Vickers received an order for three aircraft in November 1936. The first Canadian built Stranraer (RCAF 907) flew for the first time on October 21, 1938 piloted by Herbert Hollick-Kenyon. The order was increased to 40 but material shortage due to the war slowed production and it was not until December 1941 before the last aircraft was delivered.

The Stranraer served well but lacked the later required longer range, so they were assigned to secondary roles from 1943, being supplanted by the Catalina and Canso the final aircraft was withdrawn from the RCAF on January 20, 1946. The Canadian Stranraers were identical to the British version, only landing lights were fitted to the lower port wing. The first 17 aircraft had the Pegasus X engines, the latter 23 were fitted with the 1,010 hp Pegasus XXII engines.

Twenty Stranraers were sold to Siple Aviation Ltd. and of these thirteen came on the Canadian civil register. Two Stranraers CF-BXO and BYX (ex-RCAF 920 and 915) were fitted with 1,000 hp Wright GR-1820-G202GA Cyclone engines increasing performance and maximum T/O-weight. These were know as Super Stranraers, one of them (CF-BXO) is restored in RCAF colours and can be seen in the RAF Museum in London, UK.


304 Stranraer :
Super Stranraer :


production version
re-engined civil aircraft


Modelo:
Engines:
Período:
Comprimento:
Altura:
Área da asa:
Peso vazio:
Max T/O weight:
Max speed:
Climb:
Ceiling:
Faixa:


Assista o vídeo: Supermarine Walrus in Action