General C. G. Morton - História

General C. G. Morton - História

General C. Morton

General C. Morton

O General-de-Brigada Charles Gould Morton, EUA, serviu nas Filipinas na Guerra Hispano-Americana e posteriormente na fronteira com o Texas.

(AP-138: dp. 9.950 (It.); 1. 522'10 "; b. 71'6", dr. 26'6 "

cpl. 494; trp. 4.766; uma. 45 ", 8 1,1", 16 20 mm; cl. Em geral

G.O .. Squier; T. C4 S-A1)

General C. Morton, `(AP.A ~ -138) foi construído pela Kaiser Co. de Richmond, Califórnia, em 1943-4, adquirido pela Marinha em 18 de maio de 1944; e comissionado em 7 de julho de 1944, Comdr. S. K. Hall no comando.

Depois de ser retirada de San Pedro, Califórnia, ela se destacou independentemente por Guadalcanal, nas Ilhas Salomão, em 1º de agosto, chegando 16 dias depois e carregando as tropas de volta para casa. Em 20 de agosto, ela chegou a São Francisco em 3 de setembro, navegou para San Diego e partiu de lá em 16 de setembro para as Ilhas Russell nas Salomões. Embarcando tropas, ela seguiu para Espiritu Santo, Nova Hébridas, e daí para Noumea, Nova Caledônia, antes de pousar em San Francisco em 24 de outubro.

O General C. Morton embarcou para San Diego e partiu com um comboio em 10 de novembro, chegando a Pearl Harbor 6 dias depois e chegando a Guadalcanal em 29 de novembro. Em 3 de dezembro, ele partiu para São Francisco via Nova Guiné, Ilha Manus e Noumea, chegando no último dia de 1944. Depois de carregar passageiros em Long Beach, Califórnia, o General C. Morton destacou-se em 11 de janeiro de 1945 com destino a Calcutá, Índia, via Melbourne, Austrália, ela chegou a Melbourne em 1 ° de fevereiro e ligou para Calcutá 19 dias depois. Retornando via Melbourne, Manus, Ulithi, Tinian e Saipan, o transporte chegou a San Francisco em 25 de abril, apenas para começar novamente em 5 de maio para o Pacífico Sudoeste, Hollandia, Nova Guiné, Leyte e Manila, PI, eram portos de escala . O General C. Morton tocou em São Francisco em 5 de julho, antes de partir 3 dias depois para a costa leste. Ela cruzou o Canal do Panamá em 17 de julho e aterrissou em Boston 6 dias depois.

Após o dique seco, o movimentado navio partiu em 12 de agosto para a França, tocando em Marselha em 22 de agosto e retornando a Newport News, VA., 2 de setembro de 1945. Em sua viagem seguinte, o transporte navegou pelo Canal de Suez para Karachi,
Índia, e voltou pelo mesmo caminho para Nova York. No início de janeiro de 1946, o General C. Morton repetiu esta viagem, mas navegou ao redor do mundo fazendo escala em Cingapura e Manila antes de atracar em San Francisco no início de março de 1946.

O General C. Morton foi entregue ao Departamento de Guerra para uso do Exército em maio de 1946. Ela foi reintegrada na Lista da Marinha em março de 1950 e designada para a Reserva do MSTS. Ela foi excluída da Lista da Marinha em 29 de maio de 1958.

O General C. Morton recebeu três estrelas de batalha pelo serviço militar coreano.


USS General C.G. Morton AP-138

Solicite um pacote GRATUITO e obtenha as melhores informações e recursos sobre mesotelioma entregues a você durante a noite.

Todo o conteúdo é copyright 2021 | Sobre nós

Advogado de Publicidade. Este site é patrocinado pela Seeger Weiss LLP com escritórios em Nova York, Nova Jersey e Filadélfia. O endereço principal e o número de telefone da empresa são 55 Challenger Road, Ridgefield Park, New Jersey, (973) 639-9100. As informações neste site são fornecidas apenas para fins informativos e não se destinam a fornecer aconselhamento jurídico ou médico específico. Não pare de tomar um medicamento prescrito sem primeiro consultar o seu médico. A suspensão de um medicamento prescrito sem o conselho do seu médico pode resultar em ferimentos ou morte. Os resultados anteriores da Seeger Weiss LLP ou de seus advogados não garantem ou prevêem um resultado semelhante com relação a qualquer assunto futuro. Se você é um detentor legal de direitos autorais e acredita que uma página deste site está fora dos limites de "Uso justo" e infringe os direitos autorais de seu cliente, podemos ser contatados a respeito de questões de direitos autorais em [email & # 160protected]


A dolorosa história por trás da anestesia moderna


Em uma coluna mensal para a PBS NewsHour, o Dr. Howard Markel revisita momentos que mudaram o curso da medicina moderna em seus aniversários, como o uso inovador de anestesia em um paciente cirúrgico em 16 de outubro de 1846. Foto por Image Source.

Um dos momentos verdadeiramente grandes na longa história da medicina ocorreu em uma tensa manhã de outono no anfiteatro cirúrgico de Boston & # 8217s Massachusetts General Hospital.

Foi lá, em 16 de outubro de 1846, que um dentista chamado William T. G. Morton administrou um anestésico eficaz a um paciente cirúrgico. Concordando com o que se tornou a mais magnífica revolução científica estavam John Warren, um cirurgião apreensivo, e Glenn Abbott, um jovem ainda mais nervoso prestes a se submeter à remoção de um tumor vascular no lado esquerdo do pescoço.

Tanto Warren quanto Abbott realizaram o procedimento sem dor, embora alguns tenham notado que Abbott se moveu um pouco perto do fim. Afastando-se da mesa de operação em direção à galeria repleta de estudantes de medicina legitimamente estupefatos, o Dr. Warren exclamou alegremente: & # 8220Senhores, isso não é uma farsa! & # 8221

William Thomas Green Morton. Foto: Wikimedia Commons.

Morton batizou sua & # 8220creation & # 8221 Letheon, em homenagem ao rio Lethe da mitologia grega. Beber suas águas, afirmavam os antigos, apagava memórias dolorosas. Dificilmente um elixir tão exótico, o material de Morton & # 8217s era, na verdade, éter sulfúrico.

Independentemente da composição, Letheon inspirou uma legião de cirurgiões empreendedores a conceber e executar um arsenal de procedimentos invasivos e salvadores que continuam a beneficiar a humanidade até hoje.

No entanto, embora a descoberta da anestesia tenha sido uma bênção genuína para a humanidade, dificilmente se revelou tão grande para seu & # 8220descobridor & # 8221 William T. G. Morton.

Morton começou seus estudos odontológicos em Baltimore em 1840. Dois anos depois, ele estabeleceu a prática em Hartford, trabalhando com um dentista chamado Horace Wells. Neste momento, os cirurgiões podiam oferecer aos pacientes pouco além de ópio e álcool para suportar a dor agonizante gerada pelos bisturis.

Do final do século 18 até a década de 1840, médicos e químicos experimentaram agentes como óxido nitroso, éter, dióxido de carbono e outros produtos químicos sem sucesso. Em uma época anterior à adoção da higiene dental diária e dos tratamentos com flúor, extrações dolorosas de dentes eram uma parte muito comum da experiência humana. Consequentemente, os dentistas juntaram-se aos médicos e cirurgiões na busca semelhante ao Santo Graal por substâncias seguras e eficazes para vencer a dor operatória.

Por volta dessa época, Morton e Wells conduziram experimentos usando óxido nitroso, incluindo uma demonstração na Harvard Medical School em 1845 que falhou em suprimir completamente a dor de um aluno submetido a uma arrancada de dente, humilhando publicamente os dentistas. Embora Morton e Wells tenham dissolvido amigavelmente sua parceria, Morton continuou sua busca por agentes anestésicos.

Um ano antes, em 1844, durante os estudos na Harvard Medical School (que foram interrompidos por dificuldades financeiras), Morton assistiu às palestras do professor de química Charles Jackson. Uma sessão foi sobre como o éter sulfúrico solvente orgânico comum pode deixar uma pessoa inconsciente e até insensível.

Uma ilustração do primeiro uso do éter como anestésico em 1846 pelo cirurgião-dentista W.T.G. Morton. Foto: Wikimedia Commons.

Recordando essas lições durante o verão de 1846, Morton comprou garrafas com o produto de seu químico local e começou a expor a si mesmo e a um zoológico de animais de estimação à fumaça do éter. Satisfeito com sua segurança e confiabilidade, ele começou a usar éter em seus pacientes odontológicos.

Logo, multidões de Bostonians com dor de dente e acenos de dólares foram para seu escritório. Morton adorou seu sucesso financeiro, mas logo percebeu que o Letheon era bom para muito mais do que apenas arrancar dentes.

A notável demonstração de Morton no Hospital Geral de Massachusetts, naquela manhã de outubro, transformou seu status de dentista lucrativo em curandeiro internacionalmente aclamado.

Mas a meia-vida de sua celebridade acabou sendo molto presto, seguida por um período interminável de infâmia e dificuldades durante o qual ele foi criticado por insistir em solicitar uma patente exclusiva do Letheon.

Nos Estados Unidos em meados do século 19, era considerado impróprio, senão totalmente ganancioso, que membros da profissão médica lucrassem com as descobertas que beneficiaram universalmente a humanidade, especialmente de uma patente para o que acabou sendo o sulfúrico facilmente adquirido éter.

Enquanto Morton ficasse com a odontologia, muitos médicos argumentavam, ele poderia fazer o que quisesse, mas se desejasse a aceitação do Letheon por médicos e cirurgiões, ele precisava cumprir o que eles consideravam seus ideais e éticos mais elevados.

Morton rejeitou agressivamente todas essas sugestões, em seu detrimento. Havia também a questão do crédito. Horace Wells exigiu sua parte. O mesmo fez Crawford W. Long, um médico da Geórgia que afirmou ter usado óxido nitroso e éter já em 1842, mas que estava muito ocupado para publicar suas descobertas. O ex-professor de Morton, Charles Jackson, argumentou que ele também merecia uma parte da ação.

Inalador de éter, c. 1846, desenvolvido por William T.G. Morton.

Enquanto muitos brincavam com agentes anestésicos, foi Morton quem primeiro desenvolveu um novo instrumento de aplicação para permitir a inalação de éter durante uma operação.

O dispositivo consistia em um frasco de vidro com um bocal de madeira que podia ser aberto e fechado dependendo do estado de consciência do paciente.

Isso foi crítico porque outros pesquisadores, incluindo Wells e Long, não conseguiram garantir a reversibilidade rápida do estado anestésico e muitas vezes deram uma overdose em seus pacientes.

O gênio de Morton residia não apenas em suas observações do poder do éter, mas também no desenvolvimento de um método bruto, mas científico, de regular sua inalação, criando assim o campo da anestesiologia.

Nem todo mundo viu dessa forma. Combatendo vigorosamente as campanhas sussurradas e gritadas contra ele, o dentista passou os dias restantes tentando restaurar sua reputação manchada. Morton morreu sem dinheiro e amargurado em 1868. Passariam-se muitas décadas antes que Morton fosse legitimamente devolvido ao panteão dos grandes médicos.

A busca de Morton para vencer a dor foi uma contribuição notável para a medicina e a saúde humana, mesmo que não tenha sido o sucesso pessoal e financeiro que ele tanto desejava.

Embora Morton fosse um homem de grandes realizações, ele era muito humano.
Infelizmente, como muitos seres humanos, Morton buscou agressivamente fama, glória, sucesso profissional e gratificação do ego às custas de contemplar criteriosamente as consequências de suas ações. Foi uma busca que lhe custou caro, embora tenha tornado a vida & # 8211 e as doenças cirurgicamente corrigíveis & # 8212 muito melhores para o restante de nós.

Dr. Howard Markel escreve uma coluna mensal para o site PBS NewsHour, destacando o aniversário de um evento importante que continua a moldar a medicina moderna. Ele é o diretor do Centro de História da Medicina e o Distinguido Professor George E. Wantz de História da Medicina da Universidade de Michigan.

Ele é o autor ou editor de 10 livros, incluindo & # 8220Quarantine! Imigrantes Judeus do Leste Europeu e as Epidemias da Cidade de Nova York de 1892, & # 8221 & # 8220Quando os Germes Viajam: Seis Grandes Epidemias que Invadiram a América desde 1900 e os Temores que Eles Despertaram & # 8221 e & # 8220 Uma Anatomia do Vício: Sigmund Freud, William Halsted e a droga milagrosa da cocaína. & # 8221


Histórico operacional [editar | editar fonte]

General G. G. Morton (APA-138) foi construído pela Kaiser Co. de Richmond, Califórnia, em 1943-44, adquirido pela Marinha em 18 de maio de 1944 e comissionado em 7 de julho de 1944, Comdr. S. K. Hall no comando.

Depois de ser retirada de San Pedro, Califórnia, ela se destacou independentemente por Guadalcanal, nas Ilhas Salomão, em 1º de agosto, chegando 16 dias depois e carregando tropas com destino a casa. Em 20 de agosto, ela chegou a São Francisco em 3 de setembro, navegou para San Diego e partiu de lá em 16 de setembro para as Ilhas Russell, 39 dias depois nas Salomão. Embarcando em tropas, ela seguiu para Espiritu Santo, nas Novas Hébridas, e de lá para Nouméa, na Nova Caledônia, antes de pousar em San Francisco em 24 de outubro.

General C. G. Morton navegou para San Diego e partiu com um comboio em 10 de novembro, parando em Pearl Harbor seis dias depois e chegando a Guadalcanal em 29 de novembro. Em 3 de dezembro, ele partiu para São Francisco via Nova Guiné, Ilha Manus e Nouméa, chegando no último dia de 1944. Após embarcar os passageiros em Long Beach, Califórnia, General C. G. Morton destacou-se 11 de janeiro de 1945 com destino a Calcutá, Índia, via Melbourne, Austrália ela chegou a Melbourne em 1 ° de fevereiro e visitou Calcutá 19 dias depois. Retornando via Melbourne, Manus, Ulithi, Tinian e Saipan, o transporte chegou a São Francisco em 25 de abril, apenas para começar novamente em 5 de maio para o Pacífico Sudoeste, Holanda, Nova Guiné, Leyte e Manila, Filipinas, eram portos de escala . General C. G. Morton tocou em São Francisco em 5 de julho, antes de partir três dias depois para a costa leste. Ela cruzou o Canal do Panamá em 17 de julho e aterrissou em Boston seis dias depois.

Após a docagem seca, o movimentado navio partiu em 12 de agosto para a França, tocando em Marselha em 22 de agosto e retornando a Newport News, Virgínia, em 2 de setembro de 1945. Em sua próxima viagem, o transporte navegou pelo Canal de Suez para Karachi, Índia, e retornou pelo mesma rota para Nova York. No início de janeiro de 1946 General C. G. Morton repetiu esta viagem, mas navegou ao redor do mundo fazendo escala em Cingapura e Manila antes de atracar em San Francisco no início de março de 1946. O capitão do navio deveria ser dispensado do serviço na chegada, a segunda viagem prolongada foi devido ao seu desejo de ver como tanto do mundo quanto possível, enquanto na Marinha. Como resultado do atraso, as tropas que voltavam da Índia vaiaram o capitão sempre que ele aparecia no convés, o que resultou na lista de 'amotinados'.

General C. G. Morton foi entregue ao Departamento de Guerra para uso do Exército em maio de 1946.

No rescaldo da erupção de 1948 do vulcão filipino Monte Hibok-Hibok, USAT General C. G. Morton foi despachado de Manila para ajudar nas evacuações. Devido à falta de cais em Camiguin (localização do Monte Hibok-Hibok), todos aqueles que fugiram tiveram que embarcar no navio em pequenas embarcações. Na confusão, nenhum número preciso dos evacuados estava disponível. & # 912 e # 93

Ela foi reintegrada na Lista da Marinha em março de 1950 e designada para a Reserva do MSTS.

Durante a Guerra da Coréia, General C. G. Morton foi reativado e participou das seguintes campanhas: & # 911 & # 93

  • Agressão norte-coreana, de 1 a 2 de agosto de 1950 a 8 de outubro de 1952
  • Agressão da China Comunista, 21 a 28 de dezembro de 1950
  • Primeira Contra-Ofensiva da ONU, 10 a 11 de fevereiro de 1951

Em 15 de fevereiro de 1951, 200 milhas náuticas (370 & # 160km 230 & # 160mi) a leste de Tóquio, o tanque sueco MV Christer Galen atingiu uma rocha submersa, quebrando uma parte da proa do navio. Depois de receber chamadas de socorro, General C. G. Morton e SS Marine Phoenix ambos ajudaram a resgatar todos os 47 passageiros e tripulantes. & # 913 & # 93

Em agosto de 1952, General C. G. Morton chegou a São Francisco com 526 veteranos do Exército e da Marinha da Guerra da Coréia e 284 civis do Havaí. & # 914 e # 93

Em 1953 (mês desconhecido), General C. G. Morton partiu de São Francisco com um número não especificado de tropas para a Guerra da Coréia. As tropas incluíam membros da 315ª Divisão Aérea da Força Aérea, "Combat Cargo".

Retirado da Lista da Marinha em 29 de maio de 1958, General C. G. Morton foi vendido para a Central Gulf Lines em 1967 & # 915 & # 93 e renomeado para SS Onda Verde. & # 911 & # 93 Ela foi eliminada em Taiwan em fevereiro de 1980. & # 911 & # 93

General C. G. Morton recebeu três estrelas de batalha pelo serviço na Guerra da Coréia.


A Narrative History of Mass General

Em 1810, os Estados Unidos podiam se orgulhar de ter apenas dois hospitais gerais, o Hospital da Pensilvânia (fundado em 1756) e o Hospital de Nova York (fundado em 1791). Localmente, o hospital marinho em Charlestown atendia às necessidades dos marinheiros e o Boston Dispensary tratava do atendimento ambulatorial aos indigentes, mas nenhuma instalação da Nova Inglaterra no início do século XIX oferecia atendimento médico 24 horas ao público em geral.

O Rev. John Bartlett, Capelão da Almshouse em Boston, sonhava em estabelecer tal hospital, que tornaria cuidados médicos de última geração disponíveis para os fisicamente ou mentalmente enfermos, proporcionando melhores oportunidades de educação médica prática. Ele se juntou a médicos com ideias semelhantes e cidadãos importantes para organizar uma campanha de arrecadação de fundos.

O Dr. James Jackson e o Dr. John Collins Warren estavam entre os principais proponentes deste plano. Em 1811, a legislatura de Massachusetts concedeu uma autorização para a incorporação do Hospital Geral de Massachusetts e a arrecadação de fundos começou, doações variando de $ 0,25 a $ 20.000, incluindo presentes incomuns como uma porca de 273 libras. Em 1816, os curadores compraram e renovaram uma propriedade em Charlestown (em uma área posteriormente absorvida por Somerville) para uso como centro de saúde mental de Mass General. Este se tornou o McLean Asylum (agora McLean Hospital em Belmont).

Logo depois, um campo de quatro acres no West End de Boston conhecido como Prince's Pasture foi adquirido para a construção do Hospital Geral. O prédio original, The Bulfinch, abriu suas portas em 3 de setembro de 1821, para a admissão do primeiro paciente do Mass General, um seleiro com sífilis, que, os registros cuidadosamente observam, ele havia contraído em Nova York.

O Mass General, em seu primeiro ano de funcionamento, tornou-se o primeiro hospital universitário da Harvard Medical School. Desde então, tem sido palco de muitas mudanças, expansão e mais avanços na medicina do que pode ser facilmente enumerado.


Ca. 1350

Os xamãs incas mascavam folhas de coca misturadas com cinzas vegetais e pingavam sua saliva carregada de cocaína nas feridas dos pacientes.

Paracelso (1493–1541) —Primeiro a usar éter em animais.

Recursos

WLM Rare Book Room & # 8211 Cópias digitais de títulos:

Livros raros: éter e anestesia

Darwin Etherizes Venus Flytraps

WLM Rare Book Room & # 8211 Cópias digitais de títulos:

O médico e botânico alemão Valerius Cordus (1515–1544) sintetiza o éter dietílico destilando etanol e ácido sulfúrico no que ele chamou de & # 8220 óleo doce de vitríolo. & # 8221

Recursos

WLM Rare Book Room & # 8211 Cópias digitais de títulos:

Exibições do Museu WLM Online:

Boletim Informativo da ASA Artigos:

Síntese de Éter de Cordus

Dispositivo de éter "Pender Lemon" banhado a ouro

WLM Rare Book Room & # 8211 Cópias digitais de títulos:

Exibições do Museu WLM Online:

Boletim ASA Artigos:

O futuro & # 8220Sir Christopher Wren & # 8221 e o químico anglo-irlandês Robert Boyle (1627-1691) foram os pioneiros na terapia intravenosa ao injetar ópio através de uma pena de ganso na veia de um cão & # 8217s.

Recursos

WLM Rare Book Room & # 8211 Cópias digitais de títulos:

Exibições do Museu WLM Online:

Boyle, um químico muito cético

WLM Rare Book Room & # 8211 Cópias digitais de títulos:

Exibições do Museu WLM Online:


Steve Daru Boys Club (1957)

O Boys Clubs of Tucson começou em 27 de novembro de 1956 quando o Sr. A. H. Fahringer do Boys Clubs of America se reuniu com um comitê do Lions Clube para discutir a organização de um Boys Club. Por meio dos esforços do Sr. Charles Elkins e de outros membros interessados ​​do Lions Clube, o Boys Club de Tucson foi incorporado em 21 de agosto de 1957. O juiz Norman E. Green se tornou o primeiro presidente da organização. Em 21 de maio de 1958, o Sr. Robert Daru doou o imóvel que hoje abriga a unidade Steve Daru. O clube abriu suas portas em junho de 1963 sob a direção do Sr. Ray Keating e foi fundado pelo Boys Clubs of America em 30 de novembro de 1964.

Em 1988, o Steve Daru Clubhouse original foi fechado e um clubhouse modular foi colocado em Northwest Park para abrigar as atividades do clube. Em 1992, um novo clube foi construído para substituir o edifício modular com fundos doados por Frank X. Morton. O edifício modular foi transferido para Mission Park.

Old Pueblo Boys Club (1963)

Em 1962, o Sr. Bill Merodias alugou um prédio antigo na 164 S. Main Street para o boxe. Com a ajuda do Lions Clube e do Catalina Optimist Club, o Old Pueblo Boys Club foi incorporado em 8 de fevereiro de 1963. Robert King foi eleito presidente. Em 1969, por causa do programa de renovação urbana, Old Pueblo foi forçado a encontrar outras instalações. O clube comprou a propriedade da 36th Street e começou a operar, sob a direção do Sr. Howard Stuckey. Old Pueblo foi fundado pelo Boys Clubs of America em fevereiro de 1970.

Em 1988, o antigo clube foi substituído por um novo em Pueblo Gardens Park e renomeado como Holmes Tuttle Branch.

Boys Clubs of Tucson, Inc. (1971)

Os dois clubes se fundiram em dezembro de 1970 para se tornarem os Boys Clubs of Tucson. Em 11 de janeiro de 1971, eles foram incorporados como uma organização.

Boys & amp Girls Clubs of Tucson (1985)

Na Reunião Anual, realizada em 21 de fevereiro de 1985, a corporação, a fim de refletir adequadamente para a comunidade o escopo dos serviços prestados pelos Boys Clubs de Tucson a todos os jovens, votou a mudança do nome para Boys & amp Girls Clubs de Tucson . A mudança de nome assumiu o formato de "DBA" (fazendo negócios como) e o nome legal da empresa registrado no estado permaneceu Boys Clubs of Tucson, Inc.

Boys & amp Girls Clubs of Tucson, Inc. (1988)

Em novembro de 1988, o DBA foi retirado e o nome corporativo do clube foi alterado para Boys & amp Girls Clubs of Tucson, Inc.

Roy Drachman Boys & amp Girls Club (1992)

Os edifícios modulares de Steve Daru foram colocados em Mission Park, reformados e inaugurados em 3 de novembro de 1992 como um terceiro local do Boys & amp Girls Clubs de Tucson. O clube foi nomeado em homenagem a Roy Drachman, que foi presidente honorário da capital drive em 1986 e um dos principais contribuintes do Boys & amp Girls Club. Frank X. Morton forneceu os fundos operacionais do primeiro ano para este novo clube. Al Lothrop e Tucson Conquistadores forneceram o financiamento para construir o Ginásio em 1994. Em 1995, o Centro de Atividades permanente foi construído com forte apoio da cidade, do condado e de nossos doadores. A nova instalação foi inaugurada para uso em 1996.

Pascua Yaqui Boys & amp Girls Club (1999)

A pedido do Conselho Tribal, um programa do Boys & amp Girls Club foi iniciado na reserva Pascua Yaqui em 5 de janeiro. O programa é financiado pelo Conselho e foi originalmente instalado em um prédio tribal existente. O Clube mudou-se para seu próprio edifício modular em Torim Park em novembro de 1999. A Tribo planeja construir um clube permanente no futuro.

Frank e Edith Morton Clubhouse (2003)

Frank X. Morton acreditava apaixonadamente no & # 8220American Dream. & # 8221 Ele também acreditava no Boys Club porque o ajudou a viver esse sonho. Quando garoto, Frank era membro do Boys Club de San Francisco e credita a ele por ajudá-lo a seguir no caminho certo, proporcionando um lugar seguro fora das ruas do difícil Mission District. Quando ele e sua esposa Edith se mudaram para Tucson nos anos 1970 & # 8217, ele mais uma vez se envolveu com os Boys & amp Girls Clubs porque seu neto era um membro. Ele viu que oportunidade maravilhosa o clube deu não só ao seu neto, mas também a outros jovens. Sendo uma pessoa muito direta, & # 8220 com os pés no chão & # 8221, ele escolheu investir no futuro de Tucson e criou uma dotação para a operação do Frank & amp Edith Morton Clubhouse. Frank Morton faleceu em 1995.

O novo clube, localizado no campus da Doolen Middle School, foi inaugurado em novembro de 2003. É um esforço de colaboração com o Distrito Escolar Unificado de Tucson.

Harold Ashton Resource Centre (2003)

O amor de Harold por trabalhar com as mãos o levou a deixar a faculdade em seu segundo ano e comprar seu primeiro negócio aos 20 anos. Em 1946, ele abriu a Ashton Company, que hoje se tornou um negócio de muito sucesso, empregando 300-350 pessoas . Harold apoiava Boys & amp Girls Clubs of Tucson porque acreditava: & # 8220Sou mais sentimental com os jovens agora do que nunca. As crianças desenvolvem hábitos, ética de trabalho e desejos que permanecem pelo resto de seus anos. Organizações como os Boys & amp Girls Clubs, que funcionam corretamente, podem ajudar as crianças a desenvolver padrões positivos desde cedo. & # 8221

Antes de seu falecimento em novembro de 2003, a generosa contribuição de Harold & # 8217 foi usada para construir um novo espaço administrativo para Boys & amp Girls Clubs de Tucson, o Harold Ashton Resource Centre. Sua generosidade também proporcionou programas futuros para as crianças que são membros do Boys & amp Girls Clubs de Tucson. O Harold Ashton Resource Centre está localizado no segundo andar das instalações de Grant Road, acima do Frank & amp Edith Morton Clubhouse.

Jim & amp Vicki Click Club (2007)

O Jim & amp Vicki Click Clubhouse, no campus da Roberts Elementary School, será o segundo projeto colaborativo com o Distrito Escolar Unificado de Tucson. Os fundos operacionais para os primeiros três anos foram prometidos por um grupo especial de apoiadores denominado Jim & amp Vicki Click Club “Círculo dos Fundadores”. A Roberts Elementary School concordou em fornecer espaço para os funcionários do Boys & amp Girls Clubs executarem seus programas em suas instalações durante a construção. A Grande Inauguração deste clube foi realizada em 4 de abril de 2008, e o clube foi inaugurado na semana de 8 de abril de 2008.

Estamos orgulhosos de receber esta cobiçada classificação de 4 estrelas por uma gestão fiscal sólida e compromisso com a responsabilidade e a transparência.


Até Darwin: Ciência e as Origens da Raça

Claro, é sempre importante lembrar que os erros do passado, bem como os triunfos (ou heróis, que tem sido o assunto de uma série de postagens recentes em outros lugares: veja, por exemplo, postagens de Thony Christie & # 8207 @rmathematicus e Rebekah Higgitt @beckyfh "Por que whiggish não serve" ) muitas vezes, em retrospectiva, não parecem tão triunfais ou heróicos. o Postagem da Royal Society e # 8217s coincidiu com a morte de J. P. Rushton e isso serve para nos lembrar que os erros do passado não simplesmente & # 8220 desaparecem & # 8221. Portanto, é bom que o blog da Royal Society tenha escolhido chamar a atenção para Josiah Nott e George R. Gliddon & # 8217s Tipos de humanidade, ou pesquisas etnológicas: com base em monumentos antigos, pinturas, esculturas e crânios de raças, e em sua história natural, geográfica, filológica e bíblica e a ideologia científica poligenista que, como a dos eugenistas, ainda nos assombra.

E este é um bom motivo para passar alguns momentos adicionando algumas notas marginais ao Postagem da Royal Society e # 8217s porque é difícil abordar tais questões, especialmente quando o prompt é o Mês da História Negra (*) com seus públicos e demandas concorrentes.

Talvez seja o resultado de demandas e públicos concorrentes & # 8211 como costuma ser o caso! & # 8211 que alguns aspectos do poligenismo nem sempre são tão óbvios na postagem. É fácil enfatizar excessivamente as descontinuidades e continuidades da teoria poligênica quando tentamos dar sentido a seu lugar na História Natural clássica e na Biologia posterior (e na Sociologia também). Existem aspectos da História Natural que nos são muito familiares, mas também indicam maneiras fundamentalmente diferentes de compreender o mundo. Embora seja tentador simplesmente projetar no passado categorias como a biologia e figuras como o cientista, a História Natural clássica não era o estudo da vida e a figura do cientista como a conhecemos não existia. O cientista como um termo aparece no auge da História Natural clássica, mas só depois de termos o estudo da vida é que podemos finalmente reconhecer o cientista como o conhecemos. (**) Em vez da fusão de tempo e perspectivas encontradas no parágrafo inicial, seria melhor ir além e entender o & # 8220estudo de raça & # 8221 e os catálogos de diferenças gerados por tais estudos como tendo mais do que simplesmente fascinado os séculos 18 e 19: era um objeto central do Natural História. O & # 8220estudo de raça & # 8221 consolidou a raça como um objeto de análise científica racional dentro dos limites da História Natural clássica, assim como o faz hoje no caso de raça e biologia. A autoridade da História Natural como ciência derivou em parte de sua oferta de regras sistemáticas satisfatórias para descrever e explicar as diferenças & # 8221 Estados-nação europeus encontrados durante sua expansão global. & # 8220Raça e diferenças raciais & # 8221 tornaram-se o meio para compreender sistematicamente a variedade humana e fornecer uma resposta à pergunta das espécies.

Esquecer isso é uma das razões pelas quais nos parece que & # 8220discussões de raça sempre estiveram ligadas a percepções de moralidade, inteligência e civilização & # 8221 porque a raça tem sido usada desde os séculos 17 a 18 como o meio para dar sentido a diferenças e para legitimar moralidades e ideologias científicas. Portanto, é apenas correto dizer que a raça & # 8220 sempre esteve ligada às percepções de moralidade, inteligência e civilização & # 8221 precisamente porque aparece ao lado e dentro dessas & # 8220 percepções & # 8221 (isto é, relações sociais). Afinal, raça é em si uma ideologia científica no sentido de Canguilhem do termo:

Portanto, é mais correto dizer que a raça & # 8220 sempre & # 8221 desempenhou seu papel atual apenas se tomarmos como uma era histórica os séculos 17 a 20.

Freqüentemente, a discussão da variedade humana é retirada deste contexto histórico e social para ser vista como uma escolha entre um & # 8220conceito puramente biológico & # 8217 e & # 8220 pelo menos em parte & # 8211 uma construção social e cultural & # 8221. Em vez dessa relação binária simples, Natureza e Sociedade estão dialeticamente relacionadas, i. e., eles são mutuamente constitutivos. Uma seria impossível sem a outra e, em nosso tempo, os campos da biologia, da antropologia, da psicologia e da sociologia marcam essa relação por meio da busca incessante da natureza humana. Compreender isso é a chave para entender como a raça é tão fascinante para os naturalistas e por que parecia conter a resposta para a Questão das Espécies.

Esta foi a abordagem aceita para a questão das espécies nos anos anteriores ao Origem das especiesque as espécies são fixas e que as raças constituem espécies separadas com origens separadas na natureza ou na criação.
Pode ser interessante que Raças indígenas foi o acompanhamento de Tipos de humanidade, que foi uma obra monumental em termos de colaboradores, escopo e dedicação a Samuel G. Morton. Foi o auge do trabalho da Escola Americana e o somatório da teoria poligênica das origens humanas e da fixidez das espécies. Isso só seria deixado de lado por Darwin & # 8217s Origem das especies, uma & # 8220 escavação de capital nos párocos & # 8221 Nott escreveu em 1861. Como Darwin admitiria mais tarde no Descendência do homem, a teoria poligênica tinha sido o alvo de seu argumento monogênico para descendência com modificação: & # 8216. quando o princípio da evolução for geralmente aceito, como certamente será em pouco tempo, a disputa entre os monogenistas e poligenistas terá uma morte silenciosa e não observada. & # 8217 (Charles Darwin, Descendência do homem, p. 235) Raças indígenas veio no final da era poligênica, e não no início, o que é uma impressão que a seção pode deixar com um leitor casual. Na verdade, a seguinte referência a Long & # 8217s 1774 História da Jamaica por si só indica que Nott e Gliddon vieram no final de um longo período de investigações racionais e científicas. Está entre a publicação de Tipos de humanidade e Raças indígenas que descobrimos Gobineau & # 8217s Essai sur l & # 8217inegalite des races humaines.

Raças indígenas foi em grande parte obra de George Gliddon. Nott não estava interessado em revisitar o que considerava ser o fato científico estabelecido das múltiplas origens das raças, enquanto Gliddon era menos um naturalista do que um showman, popularizador e ex-diplomata que idolatrava Samuel G. Morton a ponto de roubar egípcios túmulos e sepulturas para crania enviar a Morton. Ele morreu não muito depois da publicação de Raças indígenas de febre ter procurado fortuna na América Central, onde tinha ido frustrado por não ter sido selecionado para implementar um de seus projetos: um corpo de camelos para o exército dos Estados Unidos implantar nos desertos do sudoeste.

De William Stanton & # 8217s The Leopard & # 8217s Spots, ainda um dos melhores trabalhos da American School, em Raças indígenas ***

A atenção de Nott foi atraída para a publicação de Gobineau & # 8217s Essai sur l’inegalite just 2 years after Types of Mankind. Nott sensed that the polygenic theory had so won the day that the dispute with religion would soon end in favor of the polygenists. There was no reason to continue arguing with John Bachman (see related posts below) and others.

Count Gobineau, therefore, accepts the existing diversity of races as at least an accomplished fact and draws lessons of wisdom from the plain teachings of history. Man with him ceases to be an abstraction each race, each nation, is made a separate study, and a fertile but unexplored field is opened to our view.
Our author leans strongly towards a belief in the original diversity of races, but has evidently been much embarrassed in arriving at conclusions by religious scruples and by the want of accurate knowledge in that part of natural history which treats of the designation of species and the laws of hybridity he has been taught to believe that two distinct species cannot produce perfectly prolific offspring, and therefore concludes that all races of men must be of one origin, because they are prolific inter se. My appendix will therefore be devoted mainly to this question of species.

Our author has taken the facts of Dr. Morton at second hand, and, moreover, had not before him Dr. Morton's later tables and more matured deductions.

Just as important to observe is Nott’s advocacy of free scientific inquiry:

Mr. Gobineau remarks (p. 361), that he has very serious doubts as to the unity of origin. “These doubts, however,” he continues, “I am compelled to repress, because they are in contradiction to a scientific fact, which I cannot refute—the prolificness of halfbreeds and secondly, what is of much greater weight with me, they impugn a religious interpretation sanctioned by the church.”

. I shall venture on a few remarks upon this last scruple of the author, which is shared by many investigators of this interesting subject.

‘The strict rule of scientific scrutiny,’ says the most learned and formidable opponent in the adversary's camp, ‘exacts, according to modern philosophers, in matters of inductive reasoning, an exclusive homage. It requires that we should close our eyes against all presumptive and exterior evidence, and abstract our minds from all considerations not derived from the matters of fact which bear immediately on the question. The maxim we have to follow in such controversies is ‘fiat justitia, ruat coelum.’ [“Let justice be done though the heavens fall.”] In fact, what is actually true, it is always desirous to know, whatever consequences may arise from its admission" (citing Prichard, Nat. Hist. of Man, p. 8. London, 1843)

To this sentiment I cheerfully subscribe: it has always been my maxim. Yet I find it necessary, in treating of this subject, to touch on its biblical connections, for although "we have great reason to rejoice at the improved tone of toleration, or even liberality which prevails in this country, the day has not come when science can be severed from theology, and the student of nature can calmly follow her truths, no matter whither they may lead. What a mortifying picture do we behold in the histories of astronomy, geology, chronology, cosmogony, geographical distribution of animals, &c. they have been compelled to fight their way, step by step, through human passion and prejudice, from their supposed contradiction to Holy Writ. But science has been vindicated—their great truths hare been established, and the Bible stands as firmly as it did before. The last great struggle between science and theology is the one we are now engaged in—the natural history of man—it has now, for the first time, a fair hearing before Christendom, and all any question should ask is "daylight and fair play."

The Bible should not be regarded as a text-book of natural history. On the contrary, it must be admitted that none of the writers of the Old or New Testament give the slightest evidence of knowledge in any department of science beyond that of their profane contemporaries and we hold that the natural history of man is a department of science which should be placed upon the same footing with others, and its facts dispassionately investigated. What we require for our guidance in this world is truth, and the history of science shows how long it has been stifled by bigotry and error. (Nott in Hotz/Gobineau, pp.505-6)
The study of race and the demand for “free scientific inquiry” are not easily disentangled and Nott’s call sounds at times suspiciously like the chants of scientists like Rushton, although Nott directed his demand towards tradition and religious authority while Rushton directed his towards rational inquiry itself.

Works such as Types of Mankind e Indigenous Races are just some of the many texts, institutions, and social relations that were important for defining race and its use as the basis for the classifications of human variety. We find the Species Question permeating the great and minor works of Natural History, especially in the 18th and 19th centuries just as we find slavery and domination.

__________________
(*) Black History Month – which for our purposes we should take to mean not only the history of Black people, but also the retrieval of the former truths that we would repress or forget. Certainly this should be a consistent activity, just as Black history should not be ghettoized to one month a year. At least, it is not, as in the United States, observed during the shortest month of the year.

(**) Some are attempting to reform Natural History and take it away from the Natural/travel log/memoirist writers, but this will be a fundamentally different Natural History, one whose practitioners will already be aware of the variability of species, natural & sexual selection, descent with modification, the expanded fossil record, genetics, the germ theory of disease, the unity of humans as one species, etc. The list could be extended further, but that should suffice to note that these efforts will, if successful, be a very different Natural History.

(***) Stephen Jay Gould based the historical aspects of his Mismeasure of Man chapter on Morton on Stanton’s text. Stanton provided a wealth of information and insights, but his purposes were not the same as Gould’s and Gould could have benefited from reading Morton, Nott, et al. in more detail.

Canguilhem, Georges, 1988. Ideology and Rationality in the History of the Life Sciences. Cambridge: MIT Press.

Cussins, Jessica. "Race and Medicine guidelines Using Race in Medicine? Seven Guidelines for Doing so Responsibly"
http://www.biopoliticaltimes.org/article.php?id=6392

Gobineau, Arthur, comte de. 1853. Essai sur l'inégalité des races humaines (1884 ed.). Paris : Firmin-Didot
http://archive.org/details/essaisurlingal01gobi

Gobineau, Arthur, comte de. 1856. The moral and intellectual diversity of races, with particular reference to their respective influence in the civil and political history of mankind / from the French by Count A. De Gobineau with an analytical introduction and copious historical notes by H. Hotz to which is added an appendix containing a summary of the latest scientific facts bearing upon the question of unity or plurality of species by J. C. Nott (1856). J. B. Lippincott.
http://archive.org/details/moralintellectua00gobi

Morton, Samuel George and George Combe. 1839. Crania americana or, A comparative view of the skulls of various aboriginal nations of North and South America. To which is prefixed an essay on the varieties of the human species. Philadelphia, J. Dobson London, Simpkin, Marshall & co.
http://archive.org/details/Craniaamericana00Mort

Morton, Samuel George. 1844. Crania Aegyptiaca: Or, Observations on Egyptian Ethnography. J. Penington
http://archive.org/details/craniaaegyptiac00mortgoog

Morton, Samuel George. 1840. Catalogue of skulls of man and the inferior animals in the collection of Samuel George Morton. Philadelphia : Printed by Turner & Fisher for the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia.
http://archive.org/details/60411940R.nlm.nih.gov

Nott, Josiah Clark, 1804-1873 Gliddon, George R. (George Robins) Morton, Samuel George Agassiz, Louis Usher, William Patterson, Henry S. (Henry Stuart). 1851. Types of mankind, or, Ethnological researches : based upon the ancient monuments, paintings, sculptures, and crania of races, and upon their natural, geographical, philological, and biblical history.
Philadelphia : J.B. Lippincott
http://archive.org/details/typesofmankindor01nott

Nott, Josiah Clark, 1804-1873 Gliddon, George R. 1857. Indigenous races of the earth or, New chapters of ethnological inquiry including monographs on special departments. Philadelphia : J.B. Lippincott & Co. [etc., etc.]
http://archive.org/details/cu31924029883752

Prichard, James Cowles and Edwin Norris. 1855. The Natural History of Man: Comprising Inquiries Into the Modifying Influence of Physical and Moral Agencies of the Different Tribes of the Human Family. Paris: H. Baillière.
http://archive.org/details/naturalhistorym00norrgoog

Stanton, William. 1960. The Leopard’s Spots: Scientific Attitudes Toward Race in America, 1815-1859. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.


126th Infantry Regiment

The following is taken from New York in the War of the Rebellion, 3ª ed. Frederick Phisterer. Albany: J. B. Lyon Company, 1912.
Colonel Eliakim Sherrill received authority, July 15, 1862, to raise this regiment in the counties of Ontario, Seneca and Yates it was organized at Geneva, and there mustered in the service of the United States for three years August 22, 1862. December 25, 1864, it was consolidated into a battalion of five companies, A to E, and June 2, 1865, the men not to be mustered out with the regiment were transferred to the 4th Artillery.
The companies were recruited principally: A and B in Yates county C and I in Seneca county D, Hand K in Ontario county E at Geneva and Rushville F in the counties of Ontario and Seneca and G in Ontario, Seneca and Yates counties.
The regiment left the State August 26, 1862 it served in the Middle Department from August, 1862 at Harper's Ferry, W. Va., where it was surrendered, from September, 1862 at Camp Douglas, Chicago, Ill., from September 27, 1862 in the defenses of Washington, in the 1st Brigade, Casey's Division, later 22d Corps, from December, 1862 in the 3d Brigade of the same, from January, 1863 in the 3d Brigade, 3d Division, 2d Corps, from June 25, 1863 in the 3d, for a time in the Consolidated, Brigade, 1st Division, 2d Corps, from March, 1864 and it was honorably discharged and mustered out, under Col. Ira Smith Brown, June 3, 1865, near Alexandria, Va.
During its service the regiment lost by death, killed in action, II officers, 95 enlisted men of wounds received in action, 5 officers, 43 enlisted men of disease and other causes, 1 officer, 121 enlisted men total, 17 officers, 259 enlisted men aggregate, 276 of whom 30 enlisted men died in the hands of the enemy.

The following is taken from The Union army: a history of military affairs in the loyal states, 1861-65 -- records of the regiments in the Union army -- cyclopedia of battles -- memoirs of commanders and soldiers. Madison, WI: Federal Pub. Co., 1908. volume II.
One Hundred and Twenty-Sixth Infantry.&mdashCols., Eliakim Sher-rill, James M. Bull, William H. Baird, Ira Smith Brown Lieut-Cols., James M. Bull, William H. Baird, Ira Smith Brown, John B. Geddes Majs., William H. Baird, Philo D. Phillips, Ira Smith Brown, Charles A. Richardson. This regiment, recruited in the counties of Ontario, Seneca and Yates, was organized at Geneva, and there mustered into the U. S. service for three years, Aug. 22, 1862. At the close of 1864, when it had become much reduced in numbers by reason of its hard service, it was consolidated into a battalion of five companies, A to E. The regiment left the state on Aug. 26, 1862, and took part in its first fighting during the siege of Harper's Ferry, where it received the brunt of the enemy's attack and suffered a large share of the casualties at Maryland and Bolivar heights. It lost 16 killed and 42 wounded during the fighting, and was surrendered with the rest of the garrison on Sept. 15. The men were immediately paroled and spent two months in camp at Chicago, Ill., awaiting notice of its exchange. As soon as notice of its exchange was received in December, it returned to Virginia, encamping during the winter at Union Mills. The following extract is taken from Col. Fox's account of the regiment in his work on Regimental Losses in the Civil War: "In June, 1863, it joined the Army of the Potomac, and was placed in Willard's brigade, Alex. Hays' (3d) division, 2nd corps, with which it marched to Gettysburg, where the regiment won honorable distinction, capturing 5 stands of colors in that battle. Col. Willard, the brigade commander, being killed there, Col. Sherrill succeeded him, only to meet the same fate, while in the regiment the casualties amounted to 40 killed, 181 wounded and 10 missing. At Bristoe Station the regiment won additional honors by its conspicuous gallantry and sustained the heaviest loss in that action casualties, 6 killed, 33 wounded and 10 missing. The 126th haying been transferred to Barlow's (1st) division, entered the spring campaign of 1864 with less than 300 men, of whom 100 were detailed at headquarters as a provost-guard. Its casualties at the Wilderness were 5 killed, 62 wounded and 9 missing and at Po river and Spottsylvania, 6 killed, 37 wounded and 7 missing. Col. Baird was killed at Petersburg." The regiment took part in the following important battles: Siege of Harper's Ferry&mdashincluding Maryland and Bolivar heights Gettysburg, Auburn ford, Bristoe Station, Morton's ford, Wilderness, Po river, Spottsylvania, North Anna, Toto-potomy, Cold Harbor, Petersburg, Weldon railroad, siege of Petersburg, Deep Bottom, Reams' station, Hatcher's run, and Sutherland Station, and was also present in the Mine Run campaign, at Strawberry Plains, Boydton Road, Farmville and Appomattox. Commanded by Col. Brown, it was mustered out at Washington, D. C, June 3, 1865. The total enrollment of the regiment during service was 1,036, of whom 16 officers and 138 men were killed and mortally wounded, or 14.7 per cent. 1 officer and 121 men died of disease and other causes total deaths, 17 officers and 259 men, 30 of whom died in the hands of the enemy. The total of killed and wounded in the regiment amounted to 535. The percentage of killed and mortally wounded at Gettysburg amounted to over 15, and the total casualties to 57.4 per cent.

NYSMM Online Resources

Civil War Newspaper Clippings
This is also available in PDF format. These are large files however, they are exact images of the pages.

Other Resources

This is meant to be a comprehensive list. If, however, you know of a resource that is not listed below, please send an email to [email protected] with the name of the resource and where it is located. This can include photographs, letters, articles and other non-book materials. Also, if you have any materials in your possession that you would like to donate, the museum is always looking for items specific to New York's military heritage. Obrigada.

Baird, William H. William H. Baird papers, 1862-1913, 1862-1864 (bulk).
85 items (ca.)
Letters, orders, accounts, receipts for issues of Major William H. Baird of the 126th New York Volunteers depositions and other papers concerning his conduct at Harper's Ferry in September, 1862 genealogical data and a photograph of Baird.
Located at the Geneva Historical Society Museum, 543 South Main Street, Geneva, New York 14456.

Bassett, Erasmus E. Erasmus E. Bassett diary, 1863.
Entries (January-April) are mainly concerned with inspection, drill, dress parade, and other activities at the Union Army camp at Union Mills, Virginia in May Bassett mentions digging rifle pits, orders having been given to fortify the place well, and refers to the movements of General Hooker's army in the area in late June the writer's unit began the march to Gettysburg, in which battle he was killed (Entry, July 2nd, completed by his brother, R.A. Bassett, who found the body on the battlefield at midnight. 1 v
Original at Cornell University.

Brown, J. Smith. Individual record of J. Smith Brown, Colonel, 126th New York Volunteers, August 1864.
Handwritten statement by Brown of Yates County, N.Y., giving an autobiographical sketch and detailed narrative of his Civil War service to 1864 as an officer of the 1st U.S. Sharpshooters in Virginia, and a description of the service of his brother, Capt. Morris Brown, Jr. (1842- 1864) in the 126th New York Regiment.
1 item (10 p.).
Located at the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill.

Campbell, Eric A. ' "Remember Harper's Ferry!" : The degradation, humiliation, and redemption of Col. George L Willard's Brigade - Part Two.' Gettysburg: Historical Articles of Lasting Interest. Eight (January 1993) 95-110.

Chadwick, John M. Gleanings from a Diary, April 30, 1863 to November 27, 1863 : John M Chadwick, Bandmaster, 126th Regiment of New York State Volunteers. 1863.

Geneva Gazette newspaper clippings : 1861-1865. Geneva, NY: Geneva Gazette.

Graham, Robert H. Yates County's "boys in blue", 1861-1865 : who they were, what they did. Penn Yan, N.Y. s.n, 1926.

Grand Army of the Republic. Grand Army of the Republic records, 1870-1931.
1 cubic ft.
Records of J.B. Sloan Post No.93, G.A.R., Penn Yan including minute book, 1870, with roster of post and notes of veteran burials minute book, 1908-1930 roll books for 1891-1913 treasurer's accounts for 1902-23 record of deaths printed programs, 1889-1914 miscellaneous receipts, leaflets and clippings. Other items are record book of reunion of 126th Regiment, New York Volunteers, 1908-31 a few printed items relating to William H. Long Post, No. 486, G.A.R. and an account book for the county organization of the G.A.R. in Chautauqua County, 1881-1913.
Located at the Yates County Genealogical and Historical Society, 200 Main Street, Penn Yan, New York 14527.

Hoyt, Charles S. A Surgeon's Diary : 1861-1865.
Original located at Cornell University.

Johnson family. The Johnson family papers, 1860-1934.
Description: 1 box.
Abstract: Contains the following type of materials: correspondence. Contains information pertaining to the following war and time period: Civil War -- Eastern Theater 1865-1897. Contains information pertaining to the following military units: 1st New York Sharpshooter Battalion 4th, 8th, and 16th New York Heavy Artillery Regiments 44th, 126th, 140th and 148th New York Infantry Regiments Dept. of Virginia Army of the Potomac (either the II or the VI Corps and probably the V Corps). General description of the collection: The Johnson Family papers include enlisted man's letters letters from camp, Petersburg, Centreville, Suffolk, Norfolk, Yorktown, Warrenton letters from civilians, during and after the war, around Naples, Ontario County, New York letter about Confederate money. Campaigns: Suffolk, Gettysburg, Wilderness, Spotsylvania, North Anna, Cold Harbor, Petersburg, Appomattox unknown New York unit (V), 1863 and Corps II, VI, 1865.
Located at the Military History Institute in Carlisle, PA.

Kowalis, Jeffrey J. Died at Gettysburg! : "no prouder epitaph need any man covet" : illustrated biographies of the Union casualties at Gettysburg. Hightstown, NJ: Longstreet House, 1998.

Lee, Henry. Henry Lee Manuscripts.
Abstract: The Henry Lee File contains both letters and diary entries. Letters and diary entries appear to be mixed together at times. Only a transcript is available. Ontario County Historical Society at 55 North Main Street, Canandaigua, New York 14424, might have the original.

Lemunyon, William F. War Record, W. F. Lemunyon : Written July, 1898.

Lightfoote, W. G. Dedication of the monument to the 126th Regiment N.Y. Infantry on the battlefield of Gettysburg, October 3, 1888. Canandaigua? N.Y. : s.n., 1888. 44 p. 20 cm.

Lounsbury, Thomas Raynesford, 1838-1915. "In the defenses of Washington." Yale review II (1913) 385-411.

Mahood, Wayne. Written in blood : a history of the 126th New York Infantry in the Civil War. Hightstown, NJ: Longstreet House, 1997.

Murray, R.L. and David Hickey (ed.). The redemption of the "Harper's Ferry Cowards" : the story of the 111th and 126th New York state volunteer regiments at Gettysburg. 1994.

New York Volunteers, 126th Regiment. New York Volunteers, 126th Regiment papers, 1802-1897, 1862-1897 (bulk).
2.0 cubic ft.
Official papers of the 126th Regiment include correspondence, forms, court martial proceedings, quartermaster and ordnance records, volunteer enlistment papers, discharge papers, and muster rolls for officers and enlisted men. There are also letters of Theodore Hamilton to Lucas Smith. Other materials include the papers of Maj. Charles Richardson of the 125th Regiment papers and letters about monuments at Gettysburg dedicated to the 125th Regiment and to Col. Eliakim Sherrill letters of William H. Martin, 11th New York Heavy Artillery letters of William H. Shelton while in Confederate prisons in South Carolina copies of letters of Darius C. Sackett and miscellany on other regiments in which Ontario County men served.
Also in the collection are papers of Job Pearce including receipts two muster rolls for Capt. Seth Lee's Company, Cavalry, New York Militia, War of 1812 copies of the record book of Capt. Abner Bunnell and copy of paper relating to the Ontario County militia, 1802.
Located at the Ontario County Historical Society, 55 North Main Street, Canandaigua, New York 14424.

Newspaper clippings Neighbor&rsquos Home Mail.

Newspaper clippings from the Rochester Newspapers.

Papers pertaining to Colonel William H. Baird.

Partridge, Lewis T. Gettysburg : The following history, in verse, of the action of the Third Brigade at Gettysburg,. [Geneva, N.Y.], 1913.
Broadside 16 x 21 cm.
Signed at end: L.T. Partridge. Note at end: This poem was read by Mrs. Franc Fassett Pugsley, of Pittsford, at Geneva, N.Y., at the annual reunion of the 126th Regiment, August 26, 1913./ Printed in 2 columns.
Located at The Huntington Library.

Patterson, Maurice. "Band Played and Fought in Civil War." Ithaca Journal. 29 June 1974.

Pierce, Preston Eugene. The Harper's Ferry cowards : a history of the 126th New York volunteer regiment, 1862-1865. [S.l. : s.n.], 1978.

Proceedings of the re-union of the 126th Regiment, N.Y.V. : held at Seneca Point, Canandaigua Lake, New York, August 22, 1867. Canandaigua, NY: Ontario County Times, 1867.

Proceedings of the reunion of the 126th regiment, N.Y.V., held at Phelps, Ontario county, N.Y., on the 22d day of August, 1868. Canandaigua: Printed at the Ontario County Times . 26 p.
[Could find no record of this in World Cat.]

Proceedings of the reunion of the veterans of the 111th and the 126th reg'ts N.Y. vols., held at Gettysburg, Pa., June 10 and 11, 1886. Canaudaigua, N.Y. : Times book and job printing house, 1886. 38 p.
Located at The Huntington Library.

Residents of the 25th Congressional District, State of New York. Petition of Alfred Chissom to Secretary of War Edwin M. Stanton regarding Chissom's desertion, October 12, 1865 1865.

Richardson, Charles A. Capt. Richardson's Letters 1868.

Rose, George I. Diary of George Iriving Rose, August 14, 1862 to September 3, 1863 : 126th New York Volunteer Infantry. 1863.

Ryno, John L. John L. Ryno Civil War diaries : 1862-1864.

Sackett, Darius C. Civil War Letters of Darius C. Sackett of Ontario County, N.Y., Aug. - Nov., 1862 : From the library of Irving W. Coates who probably copied them from the originals in the hands of the Sackett family. 1862.

Scott, Winfield. Pickett's charge as seen from the front line, a paper prepared and read before California commandery of the Military order of the loyal legion of the United States, February 8, 1888, by Chaplain Winfield Scott, late Captain 126th New York. 15 p.

United States. Army. New York Infantry Regiment, 126th (1862-1865). 126th New York Infantry records,1862-1865.
The collection consists mainly of muster rolls, but there also some vouchers and allotment rolls, and some other miscellaneous papers. These include a military pass, but most are receipts and routine correspondence addressed to Levi C. Ball and dealing with soldiers' pay one letter encloses a duplicate check. A few documents pertain to the 125th New York Regiment.
0.4 linear feet (1 oversize box).
Located at the New York Historical Society, New York, NY.

War Department. Office of the Judge Advocate General. Court Martial of Uriel D. Belles : Lieutenant of the 126th New York Volunteers, August 22, 1863. Elk Run, VA: War Department. Office of the Judge Advocate General, August 23, 1863.

Willson, Arabella M. Disaster, struggle, triumph adventures of 1000 "boys in Blue," from August, 1862, to June, 1865, by Mrs. Arabella M. Willson. Dedicated to the 126th regiment of New York State volunteers. With an appendix containing a chronological record of the principal events in the history of the Regiment, and the personal history of its officers and enlisted men. Prepared by the Historical committee of the Regiment. Albany, Argus co., printers, 1870. 593 p. maps, plates (illus., maps, ports.). "Biographical sketches," officers, non-commissioned officers and enlisted men by companies, [337]-582.

Wirtz, Edmond. "Past People, Past Places : Colonel Eliakim Sherrill." Geneva Historical Society Newsletter. (JAN 1991).

Wolcott, Walter, 1859. The military history of Yates County, N.Y. : comprising a record of the services rendered by citizens of this county in the army and navy, from the foundation of the government to the present time. Penn Yan, N.Y. Express Book and Job Print. House, 1895.

Yost, George L. Civil War Letters of George L. Yost, 1862 -1863 : 126th New York Volunteer Infantry.

Youngs, Georgs S. Civil War Miscellaneous Collection
(Jul 19, 1862-Dec 31, 1864.
Located at the Military History Institute in Carlisle, PA.

Youngs, George S. Letter, 9 July 1864.
2 leaves and 13 pages.
Letter, 9 July 1864, from George S. Youngs (1843-1922) of Company G, 126th New York Infantry serving as Provost Guard for the II Corps, Army of the Potomac, at Petersburg, Virginia, to his mother Effie Youngs (b. ca. 1806) describing conditions at II Corps headquarters, mentioning General Winfield Scott Hancock (1824-1886), and providing news of friends serving with him. Youngs also sent letters, 1818-1838, related to the Chandler family of Hanover County, Virginia, that he collected from their home when the Union army passed through the area. These letters contain information of branches of the family that settled in Hanover County and in Orange County, Vermont.
Accession 51839. Located at the Library of Virginia in Richmond, Virginia.
Thank you to Ed Worman for pointing out this resource.


General Electric History

Innovation at General Electric in the field of semiconductors in the 1950s occurred at two main sites: Syracuse and Schenectady. It centres on the pioneering work of Harper North, Robert Hall and William Dunlap at Schenectady and that of John Saby at Syracuse in the period 1948-51. By the time the silicon controlled rectifier, the Diac and Triac were developed in the period 1957-1963 General Electric had assembled a significant team of researchers and engineers at Syracuse, Schenectady and the Clyde rectifier plant.

The Schenectady laboratories date back to 1900 when Willis Whitney, a chemist from MIT, was hired to be its foundation director. Its alumni include some famous names in science and technology such as William Coolidge who worked on medical X-ray technologies, the Nobel prize winning chemist Irving Langmuir and Albert Hull who developed the magnetron and other vacuum tubes. In 1950 the laboratory moved to the Schenectady suburb of Niskayuna.

At Syracuse, Electronics Park was the headquarters for electronics research, development and was General Electric’s main electronics manufacturing site (radio, radar, television and similar equipment). Construction began in 1946 on a park like site of 150 acres and phase one was completed early in 1948. The Electronics Laboratory moved there in February 1948.

The Schenectady laboratories were intended to investigate more basic research whereas the Syracuse laboratories were there to support production. But researchers at both sites all had considerable freedom to investigate new technologies and undertook novel developments. The culture of innovation was also strong at Clyde which was a manufacturing site.

The invention of the cavity magnetron in Britain and the potential for high resolution radar led to a large scale development programme managed by the Radiation Laboratory at MIT. This included the development of new crystal rectifiers: a redeployment of very old technology now revisited because vacuum tubes could not operate at the GHz frequencies being used. But to meet military standards the humble cat’s whisker crystal detector needed to become a reliable detector.

General Electric was a contractor in the programme and represented by Harper North in the more academic “crystal meetings” which were dominated by researchers from the Radiation Laboratory and the University of Pennsylvania. [Henriksen 1987]

The overall purpose of the General Electric contract was to investigate germanium as a possible improvement over silicon which was the dominant crystal in use. [North 1946]

At General Electric North made germanium from its oxide under hydrogen at 650 C and then fused it into a crystalline mass by heating it at 1015 C. The purity of the resulting germanium (as indicated by its resistivity) was crucially dependent on the quality of the oxide, processing conditions and control over the purity of the hydrogen.

Extensive work was undertaken on germanium dopants, antimony being preferred over phosphorous which was also investigated.

To produce detector cartridges a doped ingot was sliced into 0.02 inch wafers, polished and rhodium plated on one side diced into 0.07 inch squares. These were soldered to the cartridge stud and finally highly polished. Heat treatment and chemical etching were found to be undesirable for radar detectors.

North undertook an extensive investigation of welded point-contact diodes where the contact was welded to the germanium by passing a high current briefly through the unit. Due to their negative resistance characteristics these had high gain but were not used because of their high noise. Unlike conventional point-contact diodes, they were, however, excellent rectifiers. Using germanium with high levels of antimony doping, North obtained very low forward resistance at only 0.4 volts. [Torrey 1948]

North’s coaxial cartridge design followed the dimensional outline of the Sylvania silicon 1N26 but typically utilized antimony doped germanium. The assembly was sealed into silver plated steel tube with low-loss glass. Use of antimony doping (n-type germanium) gave reversed polarity compared to conventional silicon diodes. [Drawing from Torrey 1948]

General Electric 1N23A cartridge [Courtesy Jan de Groot]

First Diodes

The first diodes released by General Electric were based on the North wartime research and the subsequent development of Harper North and his team.

The first diodes released commercially by General Electric were the G5 series submitted for RMA registration in June 1948. They were general purpose small signal types and used North’s welded germanium technology. These were the G5A, G5B, G5C and G5D which corresponded to the series 1N49-1N51.

These were followed by the G5E (1N63) that December, G5G (1N65) and G5F (1N64) in 1950 [RMA Release 670]

In 1950 the package outlined changed to the newer format illustrated below. In addition the G5 series was extended to include hermetically sealed ceramic cases as the G5K, G5L and G5P (1N69, 1N70 and 1N81) from 1950. [RMA release 891B, 1951, RMA release 1016 1951]

The G range of welded germanium diodes was extended with the G6 and G7 series. The G6 diode was intended as a VHF detector and meter rectifier and the G7 series for UHF applications. A summary of the range is shown in the following data sheets (click on these thumbnails for full resolution). For the story of their manufacturing process see "Welded Germanium Diodes."

The G8 matched pairs and G9 bridge rectifiers completed the commercial G series. By now alloy junction rectifiers known then as “diffused junction rectifiers” were in development. The G10 rectifier made a brief appearance as noted below.

Robert Hall returned to General Electric Research Laboratories Schenectady just as Bell announced its point-contact transistor. Hall had just graduated PhD from Caltech and had previously worked at the laboratories on a range of projects including the Harper North Wartime radar diode project. Dr Albert Hull was Assistant Director of the Laboratory. He was known for his collegial management style with a relaxed approach to the research agenda of his staff members. Hall recalls that Hull came in with the reprint of the Physical Review letters that announced the transistor [Bardeen 1948] and said “Robert here’s an interesting development from Bell Laboratories. It looks like something pretty new and exciting. Would you like to look into it and see if there’s anything interesting there.” [Choi 2004]

General Electric had all the knowhow it needed to duplicate the Bell design quickly. North’s diode programme had diodes that could handle 100 volts back voltage which was state of the art at that time. (Purdue University produced the high back voltage germanium for the Bell point contact transistor.) North’s diode programme and related research ensured it had a manufacturing understanding of the key technologies:

High back voltage poly-crystalline germanium

Assembly and encapsulation.

Its first designs were crude with two pins for the collector and emitter with the base connection through the case in the manner of the Bell Type A. No socket was available and users were recommended to use a 5 pin subminiature tube socket using positions 2 and 3 for the collector and emitter and to create a base connection by inserting phosphor-bronze strips in positions 1 and 4 and bending them so they contacted the transistor case.

The transistors were known as germanium triodes or germanium whisker transistors. Two types were produced evolving from prototype coding through the familiar “G” designation in use for its point-contact diodes and finally adopting RMA registration:

The prototype numbers appear in early data sheets and in a General Electric price list dated June 1 st 1951 in which the new SX-4A and Z2 transistors were priced at a massive $29 each.

The two transistors had the same mechanical and electrical characteristics but the switching transistor was tested for “trigger action” or negative resistance. [General Electric 1950 courtesy Jack Ward]

From 1952 the transistors had 3 pins with the base connection being soldered to the outside of the transistor’s case.

Early General Electric G11 and G11A point-contact transistors.[Courtesy Jack Ward]

Production General Electric G11 point-contact transistor [Courtesy Jan de Groot]

Hall had the opportunity to take a more fundamental approach to support semiconductor development.

Hall studied the addition of donor and acceptor elements. He found that he could make N-type germanium by adding arsenic but the end that solidified first came up P-type due to a mysterious impurity that turned out to be boron. This crystal was a rectifier which Hall called a “barrier-less” rectifier. “I realized sometime later that this was a very broad P-N junction and obeyed the same laws that Bill Shockley had worked out for P-N junctions“ [Choi 2004]

Hall decided to make a more efficient rectifier by taking most of the germanium away and putting donor and acceptor impurities on opposite sides. Because they both have low melting

points indium (acceptor) and antimony (donor) are good candidates for an alloy diffusion experiment. Hall assembled a wafer of germanium with a drop of indium on the top and antimony on the bottom. This was situated on a metal plate and heated in an hydrogen atmosphere to obtain alloying. It rectified: “It was very leaky in the reverse direction but it had remarkably good forward characteristics. It would carry several amperes at only a volt or so.” [Choi 2004] Previous rectifiers had only been able to pass a few milliamps. Hall improved the reverse characteristics by etching (which removes excess dopant that has diffused across the surface of the germanium).

Hall began making large area rectifiers 5mm square by this process and used water cooling for improved power. He was able to make devices that could pass 100s of amperes in one direction and block a 100 volts in the other. “So I could handle many kilowatts of power with these rectifiers which were rather phenomenal.” [Choi 2004]

By 1949 the work was sufficiently advanced to be transferred to the Electronics Laboratory at Schenectady as a production development project while the more theoretical work continued at the Research Laboratory.

Hall assumed that he was doping his junctions through diffusion into germanium. Crawford Dunlap had already been working on impurity diffusion in germanium and when learning of Hall’s success proposed a joint paper on diffused rectifiers. “Dr. Dunlap became aware of the work I was doing, and he called me into his office and proposed that we produce a joint paper on diffused rectifiers. And I was rather taken aback by this, because as far as I can see, he hadn’t contributed anything to this. I did not make use of any of his work. I don’t know if he had any diffused results.” [Choi 2004]

In 1950 Hall and Dunlap published Hall’s work on P-N junctions made by diffusing donors and acceptors from opposite sides of a germanium wafer. They discussed their approach for optimizing both the forward current and reverse voltage and showed why the alloy junction approach pioneered at General Electric gave better dopant profiles across the junction compared to those achieved by melt solidification.

“The non-linear impurity distribution which is required may be obtained by thermal diffusion of the donor and acceptor impurities into opposite sides of a wafer of semiconductor. Germanium diodes have been prepared in this manner which will withstand inverse potentials of the order of 100 volts and which will pass 500 amp/cm2 at one volt in the forward direction.” [Hall 1950]

They noted that the I-V characteristics of their rectifiers were similar to those of selenium or copper oxide but that the current densities were 1000 times better.

This work was patented by Dunlap evidently because the General Electric’s attorneys considered Dunlap had made the inventive step. The application covered the preparation of single or multiple junction units for rectifiers, thermoelectric junctions, photoelectric junctions and transistors. Dunlap’s patent describes junction formation by

diffusing donor or acceptor impurities into a semi-conductor body already doped with impurities of opposite conductivity. The assembly is fired and by controlling the firing time and temperature the degree of penetration of the impurity is controlled. The penetrated area changes to the opposite conductivity and a PN junction is formed. Contacts are made by soldering wires or connectors to the surface dopant and the wafer. [Dunlap 1950] On the left is a schematic for the General Electric G-10 power rectifier. It features heating sinking through its base. Loads of several kilowatts could be handled by this design. [Hall 1952]

The G-10 was an early prototype that was offered in pilot scale quantities from October 1951 according to its advertising "The Truth about Transistors" in Tele-Tech for May 1952 and in a two page spread in Tele-Tech for January 1952 "These rectifiers are now in pilot production." But the G-10 was never commercialized. Finis Gentry recalls “The G10 Rectifier was a germanium rectifier about the size of a quarter and about 3/16' thick. The case was made of copper with the anode insulated from the cathode by a rubber O ring. This did not provide sufficient hermetic protection so it was replaced by the hermetically sealed 4JA2 germanium rectifier.” [Gentry 2009]


Assista o vídeo: Generał Sikorski - Przed Gibraltarem