Santuário de Nossa Senhora de Walsingham

Santuário de Nossa Senhora de Walsingham

Richeldis de Faverches, uma nobre saxã, era casada com o Senhor da Mansão de Walsingham. Em 1061, Richeldis de Faverches teve uma visão em que ela foi levada em espírito para Nazaré e pediu por Maria para construir uma réplica exata da casa em Nazaré onde Gabriel havia anunciado a notícia do nascimento de Jesus. Esta casa ficou conhecida como Santuário de Nossa Senhora de Walsingham.

Os primeiros peregrinos importantes a visitar o Santuário de Nossa Senhora de Walsingham eram membros da família Clare que chegaram com os normandos em 1066. Richard Fitz Gilbert, o primeiro Conde de Clare, recebeu grandes propriedades em Norfolk por Guilherme, o Conquistador.

Por volta de 1150, Geoffrey de Faverches providenciou a construção de um priorado em Walsingham, próximo à Santa Casa. O patrocínio real ajudou o santuário a crescer em riqueza e popularidade e recebeu visitas de Henrique III, Eduardo II e Eduardo III. Também se beneficiou de ser mencionado na obra de William Langland.

Em 1346, o cônego de Walsingham relatou que, devido ao grande valor das joias e outras oferendas no santuário, os portões do priorado tinham de ser trancados à noite. No ano seguinte, ele se opôs a Elizabeth de Burgh, condessa de Clare, que estabeleceu um convento franciscano em Walsingham, advertindo que isso poderia resultar no declínio de pessoas dispostas a dar dinheiro ao Santuário de Nossa Senhora.

Algumas pessoas desaprovaram o dinheiro que foi dado a Walsingham Priory. No século 14, o santuário religioso foi atacado por John Wycliffe e os lolardos.

Walsingham permaneceu popular entre os peregrinos na época dos Tudor. Henrique VII visitou o santuário várias vezes e os registros mostram que Henrique VIII ficou em Barsham Manor e depois caminhou duas milhas descalço até Walsingham, onde colocou uma "tiara de ouro em volta do pescoço de Nossa Senhora".

Em 1513, Erasmus visitou Walsingham e descreveu o santuário como sendo cercado "por todos os lados com pedras preciosas, ouro e prata". Ele também acrescentou que a água da nascente de Walsingham era "eficaz na cura de dores de cabeça e estômago".

Em abril de 1537, Henrique VIII deu instruções a Richard Southwell para remover a riqueza mantida no santuário religioso de Walsingham. Quando um grupo de homens locais reclamou, eles foram presos e em 30 de maio de 1537, onze homens, incluindo Nicholas Myleham, o cônego de Walsingham, foram enforcados, decapitados e esquartejados em Yarmouth, Lynn, Norwich e Walsingham.

Quando você olha para dentro, você diria que é a morada dos santos, tão brilhantemente ela brilha em todos os lados com pedras preciosas, ouro e prata ... Nossa Senhora está na escuridão do lado direito do altar ... uma pequena imagem, notável nem para seu tamanho, material ou mão de obra.


Sobre Nossa Senhora de Walsingham

O aparecimento de Nossa Senhora de Walsingham é uma das primeiras aparições marianas da história. Richeldis de Faverches, uma nobre viúva que vivia em Norfolk durante o reinado de Eduardo, o Confessor, pediu à Santíssima Virgem que a inspirasse a um notável trabalho de caridade. Em resposta, Nossa Senhora deu-lhe uma visão, levando Richeldis para a casa em Nazaré onde ocorreu a Anunciação. Ela a instruiu a construir uma réplica em Walsingham para comemorar a alegria de Maria na Saudação Angélica de Gabriel, a proclamação da Encarnação.

A Santa Casa tornou-se um santuário, um lugar de peregrinação e milagres. Baladas foram escritas em louvor a Nossa Senhora de Walsingham, e muitos reis fizeram peregrinação lá. Isso incluiu Henrique VIII, mas após seu rompimento com a Igreja, ele ordenou que o santuário fosse destruído. Este acontecimento também se tornou tema de baladas, agora de lamento. O lugar ficou em silêncio até a década de 1890, quando as ruínas da Capela Slipper à beira do caminho foram restauradas para uso católico. Então, na década de 1930, a Igreja Anglicana construiu um novo santuário e a Capela Católica Slipper foi declarada o Santuário Nacional Inglês de Nossa Senhora.

Quando o Verbo se fez Carne, a universalidade de Deus entrou na particularidade de uma casinha na aldeia de Nazaré. A Encarnação significa que Deus nos encontra não em uma existência abstrata, mas diretamente, dentro dos lugares e circunstâncias particulares de nossas vidas. Como Nossa Senhora guiou Richeldis para fazer uma Nazaré na Inglaterra, cada capela e santuário de Nossa Senhora de Walsingham é uma Nazaré local particular, um encontro com a alegria da Encarnação naquele lugar especial.

Um desses santuários fica em Houston, TX, na Catedral do Ordinariato da Cátedra de São Pedro: Nossa Senhora de Walsingham.

Ordinariato da Cátedra de São Pedro
7730 Westview Drive, Houston, TX 77055
Endereço para correspondência: PO Box 55206, Houston, TX 77255
713.609.9292
Questões gerais? Entre em contato conosco


N 24 de setembro, Ordinariato Católicos desde o nosso início após a promulgação do Anglicanorum Cœtibus em 2009 dC e os católicos ingleses em geral desde o ano 2000 celebraram Maria Santíssima sob o título de Nossa Senhora de Walsingham.

A Catedral do Ordinariato da América do Norte, o Ordinariato britânico original erigido em 2011 e a Igreja Paroquial de Rockhampton no Ordinariato do Pacífico Ocidental têm o nome dessa aparição. Qual é o seu significado?

Em 1061, Richeldis de Faverches, uma nobre inglesa que vivia em Walsingham, recebeu uma visão da Bem-Aventurada Virgem Maria. Este evento foi gravado em música por Richard Pynson muito mais tarde no século XV. A aparição de Maria a Richeldis é uma das aparições marianas mais antigas registradas.

Em uma série de três visões, Maria mostrou a Richeldis a Casa da Anunciação em Nazaré e pediu-lhe que construísse uma réplica em Walsingham. Maria também prometeu que “Quem ali buscar minha ajuda não irá embora de mãos vazias”. O rico, mas devoto Richeldis obedeceu e construiu o santuário.

Ao longo dos séculos, o santuário tornou-se um destino popular para peregrinações. Capelas ao lado do caminho se desenvolveram onde os peregrinos podiam ir para a confissão e missa. A Capela do Chinelo, construída em 1325, era a mais próxima delas do Santuário, onde os peregrinos tiravam seus sapatos (ou "chinelos") e caminhavam a "milha sagrada" final descalços .

No entanto, em 1538, o rei Henrique VIII enviou seus comissários para destruir o santuário. Eles pegaram a imagem de Nossa Senhora com o Menino Jesus (ver imagem abaixo) como ela teria aparecido para Richeldis e levaram-na para Londres, onde foi queimada publicamente. A Capela Slipper escapou da destruição, mas caiu na obscuridade.

As peregrinações cessaram e a devoção pública a Nossa Senhora de Walsingham e a devoção católica pública em geral foram tornadas ilegais na Grã-Bretanha até 1829, quando o Ato de Emancipação Católica foi aprovado pelo Parlamento Britânico.

Em 1896, Charlotte Pearson Boyd comprou a Capela Slipper e restaurou-a ao culto católico. No ano seguinte, em 1897, o Papa Leão XIII restaurou oficialmente o santuário por rescrito papal. O Papa Leão disse: “Quando a Inglaterra retornar a Walsingham, Nossa Senhora retornará à Inglaterra”. A primeira peregrinação pública desde a Reforma foi organizada no mesmo ano pela Guilda de Nossa Senhora do Resgate, e ao longo do século 20 as peregrinações e o interesse pelo santuário e seu significado para o catolicismo inglês continuaram e aumentaram.

Assim, na Inglaterra e agora nos Ordinariatos, 24 de setembro - a Comemoração de Nossa Senhora do Resgate, após a intercessão de Maria pelos cativos de uma falsa religião, no Antigo Calendário Universal ainda vivificado pelas Missas celebradas de acordo com o Missal de 1962 - tornou-se o data em que celebramos Nossa Senhora de Walsingham. Bem-aventurada Maria, que apareceu a Richeldis, o Belo, e prometeu sua ajuda àqueles que a buscassem, restaure a Igreja na Inglaterra e seus filhos no exterior, seu dote e purgue a Igreja Universal de seu Filho de toda contaminação. Nossa Senhora de Walsingham, rogai por nós!

ATUALIZAÇÃO: Um leitor, Jeff Hirst do Ordinariato de Nossa Senhora de Walsingham (Reino Unido), escreve para preencher os detalhes da história recente dos Santuários Anglicano e Católico que têm atraído tanta devoção ultimamente:

& # 8220Aqui, no Reino Unido, o Santuário de Walsingham é um importante exemplo de nosso Patrimônio, e muitos & # 8211 se não a maioria dos & # 8211 membros do Ordinariato têm um grande amor por Walsingham por meio de nossas visitas ao Santuário Anglicano. Bem como a restauração do Santuário Nacional Católico, lembramos o renascimento da devoção na Igreja da Inglaterra. O Pe. Alfred Hope Patten, vigário de Walsingham, montou uma imagem de Nossa Senhora de Walsingham na Igreja Paroquial de St Mary & # 8217s em 1922. A cópia da Santa Casa foi construída em 1931 e a imagem transferida, e a igreja do Santuário foi concluída em 1936. Sob sua influência, a peregrinação cresceu, não sem oposição, e as peregrinações anuais tornaram-se um ritual anual muito querido entre os anglo-católicos. Mesmo como católicos, a atração emocional para o Santuário Anglicano continua forte. Às 17h30 de hoje [24 de setembro de 2018], solenidade de Nossa Senhora & # 8217, os diretores de ambos os santuários devem assinar uma aliança ecumênica. Oramos por ambos os Santuários e agradecemos o que isso significa para nós nestas terras. & # 8221

Para uma dose semanal do Patrimônio Católico Inglês, se sua paróquia ordinariada ou comunidade paroquial quiser receber nosso Esta semana na história católica inglesa artigos com antecedência em formato pdf preto e branco de página única (talvez inserido no boletim), entre em contato conosco em [email protected]>, e teremos o maior prazer em atendê-lo, grátis.

Escrito por Sr. John Burford, IV e Dr. Foster Lerner de Igreja Católica da Encarnação em Orlando, Flórida, uma paróquia de O Ordinariato Pessoal da Cátedra de São Pedro, (C) 2018.

John é o fundador e proprietário da Magnolia Prep, uma empresa de aulas particulares SAT e ACT com filiais em várias das principais cidades dos Estados Unidos. Foster possui doutorado em medicina pela Faculdade de Medicina Osteopática da Nova Southeastern University, Dr. Kiran C. Patel, e atualmente está fazendo pós-graduação em medicina.


A história de Walsingham

Em 1061, conta a história, a senhora do feudo de Little Walsingham em Norfolk, uma viúva chamada Richeldis, orou a Nossa Senhora perguntando como ela poderia honrá-la de uma maneira especial. Em resposta a essa oração, Maria conduziu Richeldis em espírito a Nazaré e mostrou-lhe a casa na qual ela havia recebido a mensagem do anjo pela primeira vez. Mary disse a Richeldis para tirar as medidas desta casa e construir outra igual em Walsingham. Seria um lugar onde as pessoas pudessem vir honrá-la e ao seu Filho, lembrando especialmente do mistério da Anunciação e da alegria de Maria & # 8216 sim & # 8217 ao conceber o Salvador.

O final do século XI e todo o século XII e XIII foi a era das cruzadas, que viram um interesse crescente pelos locais consagrados pela presença humana de Jesus na Terra Santa. Mas agora os peregrinos não precisam ir tão longe na própria Inglaterra que havia uma & # 8216nova Nazaré & # 8217 construída por uma de suas próprias conterrâneas.

Depois de algum tempo, os cânones agostinianos assumiram o cuidado da casa sagrada e a consagraram em uma capela especial dentro de uma igreja muito maior. Os peregrinos começaram a vir de toda a Inglaterra e até do exterior. Desde a época de Henrique III, quase todos os reis e rainhas do reino visitaram Walsingham, assim como centenas de pessoas comuns em busca de ajuda, cura e paz interior. Walsingham é classificado com Roma, Jerusalém e Compostela em importância como destino de peregrinação.

No entanto, o Santuário foi destruído na época da Reforma, e apenas reconstruído no início do século XX, principalmente devido à liderança inspirada do vigário anglicano de Walsingham, Pe. Hope Patten. Ele reavivou a devoção a Nossa Senhora sob este título e construiu um novo santuário, Igreja e Santa Casa na aldeia, juntamente com uma estátua inspirada no antigo selo do priorado. Mostra uma Maria sentada com seu Filho no colo segurando um livro dos evangelhos.

Enquanto isso, a Srta. Charlotte Boyd comprou e restaurou a antiga Capela Slipper a uma milha de distância e a presenteou com a Igreja Católica. Desde então, tornou-se o Santuário Nacional da Igreja Católica na Inglaterra. Walsingham é uma vila dedicada a Maria, um lugar de peregrinação ecumênica com uma compreensão crescente da mensagem original de Walsingham recebida por Richeldis & # 8211 de que deveria ser um lugar onde a alegria da Anunciação pudesse ser lembrada e celebrada, por a Palavra se fez carne e habitou entre nós por meio da alegria e da prontidão de Maria & # 8216sim & # 8217 falada em uma casa comum que se tornaria o lar de infância do próprio Filho de Deus.


Santuário de Nossa Senhora de Walsingham - História

1 comentário:

Pai, talvez você goste da animação que fiz da Rainha Elizabeth e Albert Einstein no Speakers Corner em Londres e no Hyde Park # 39. Ele detalha seu retorno à terra para finalmente dar a "plenitude da verdade" à humanidade como santos novatos em uma missão. Você pode não entender o & # 39s & quot Alemão quebrado & quot de Einstein, mas posso conseguir o roteiro, se ajudar.

Minha intenção com este trabalho era tripla: tentar o software xtranormal para mostrar a atração ao vivo de Einstein para entender a & quot mente de Deus & quot e levar o importante trabalho de Santo Ambrósio para o ciberespaço em uma forma moderna de comunicação social.

É relativamente longo, em duas partes, mas você pode fazer a mensagem passar de três a cinco minutos na primeira parte.

Nossa Senhora de Walsingham, rogai por nós.

Atenciosamente em Jesus e Maria,
Mike Rizzio

Todos os comentários serão moderados a critério exclusivo de & quotAnglican Use in the Philippines & quot. O simples envio do formulário de comentário não garante que o comentário será postado. Os comentários serão moderados com base no idioma, tópico, assunto e relevância apropriados. & quotAnglican Use in the Philippines & quot não é obrigado a postar comentários que caluniem as Igrejas Católica e Anglicana.


Santuário de Nossa Senhora de Walsingham - História

Comece com a oração de intercessão:
Ó minha querida Mãe Maria, Nossa Senhora de Walsingham, eis-me, seu filho, em oração a seus pés. Aceita este Santo Rosário, como prova do meu terno amor por vós, pelas intenções do Sagrado Coração de Jesus, como expiação pelas ofensas cometidas contra o vosso amoroso Coração e por este favor especial que sinceramente peço (cite o vosso pedido de oração )

Rogo-lhe que apresente minha petição ao seu Divino Filho. Se você orar por mim, não posso ser recusado. Eu sei, querida Mãe, que você quer que eu busque a Santa Vontade de Deus em relação ao meu pedido. Se o que eu peço não for concedido, ore para que eu possa receber o que será de maior benefício para minha alma. Querida Mãe, Nossa Senhora de Walsingham, ofereço-lhe este & ldquoBouquet de Rosas & rdquo espiritual porque a amo. Coloco toda a minha confiança em você, pois suas orações a Deus são as mais poderosas. Para a maior glória de Deus e por amor a Jesus, Seu amoroso Filho, ouça e conceda minha oração. Um homem.

Rezar:
Os apóstolos e o credo rsquo
1 & ndash Pai Nosso
3 & ndash Ave-Marias
1 & ndash Glory Be

Sete Mistérios:
1º Mistério e a Anunciação
2º Mistério e a Visitação
3º mistério & ndash A Natividade
4º Mistério & ndash A Descoberta no Templo
5º Mistério & ndash A Ressurreição e Ascensão
6º Mistério & ndash A Assunção
7º Mistério & ndash A Coroação da Santíssima Virgem

Siga com a Oração de Walsingham Antiga:
Ó só de todas as mulheres, Mãe e Virgem, Mãe muito feliz, Virgem mais pura, agora nós, pecadores como somos, viemos ver-te que és totalmente pura, nós te saudamos, te honramos como podemos com nossas humildes ofertas que teu Filho nos conceda, que imitando as tuas maneiras santíssimas, também nós, pela graça do Espírito Santo, possamos merecer espiritualmente conceber o Senhor Jesus no mais íntimo de nossa alma,
e uma vez concebida para nunca perdê-lo. Um homem.

Oração Final:
Ó Deus, cujo Filho unigênito, por sua vida, morte e ressurreição, comprou para nós as recompensas da vida eterna, te pedimos que, meditando sobre estes mistérios do Santíssimo Rosário da Bem-Aventurada Virgem Maria, Nossa Senhora de Walsingham, podemos imitar o que contêm e obter o que prometem, através do mesmo Cristo nosso Senhor. Um homem.

Nossa Senhora de Walsingham, rogai por nós.
Nossa Senhora de Walsingham, rogai por nós.
Ó Maria, a Mãe de Deus,
Nossa Senhora de Walsingham, interceda por nós.


História da Freguesia

O Uso Anglicano da Igreja Católica Romana foi estabelecido por São João Paulo II em 1980. Esta Provisão Pastoral permitiu aos anglicanos entrar em plena comunhão com a Igreja Católica, enquanto preservava algumas de nossas tradições litúrgicas únicas.

Este certamente foi um desenvolvimento bem-vindo para os anglo-católicos. O afastamento do anglicanismo da ortodoxia cristã acelerou substancialmente ao longo do século 20, e a Convenção Geral de 1976, permitindo a ordenação de mulheres, foi a gota d'água para muitos anglo-católicos. Entre aqueles que perceberam que o anglicanismo estava perdido no mar estavam os fundadores da paróquia Nossa Senhora de Walsingham. No final, o congresso de 1976 e a Provisão Pastoral de 1980 finalmente mostraram a muitos deles que a comunhão com São Pedro era seu único porto seguro.

Em 1982, dois deles em particular, o pe. James Moore e Fr. James Ramsey, começou a discutir com o Bispo de Galveston-Houston, John Louis Morkovsky, sobre como entrar na Igreja sob a Provisão Pastoral. Naquela época, ambos haviam renunciado aos seus cargos na Diocese Episcopal do Texas. Este foi um verdadeiro ato de fé, porque a Igreja Católica ainda não os havia recebido formalmente, mas pe. Moore, Fr. Ramsey e uma dúzia de outros peregrinos se encontraram em pe. Moore estava em casa e deu aquele salto de fé durante a Quaresma de 1982.

A pequena comunidade se reunia semanalmente, principalmente nas casas uns dos outros, esperando pacientemente que o cidadão comum os enxertasse na Igreja. Em algum momento durante este período, esses refugiados se comprometeram com a proteção amorosa da Mãe de Deus, sob o título de Nossa Senhora de Walsingham. Esta foi uma sugestão de pe. Ramsey, que resgatou uma imagem de vitral de Nossa Senhora de Walsingham de uma igreja queimada no Malaui anos atrás, enquanto servia como Capelão do Bispo na Diocese Anglicana do Lago Malawi, e por Wayne Flagg, que tinha uma profunda devoção a Nossa Senhora de Walsingham. Fr. Ramsey valorizava aquela imagem encontrada desde então e, como ele a resgatou, agora a comunidade recém-formada implorava que ela, por sua vez, os protegesse em sua jornada mais importante.

O Bispo Morkovsky graciosamente permitiu que a paróquia de Nossa Senhora de Walsingham se reunisse nas tardes de sábado às 18h00 na Igreja Católica Cristo Bom Pastor, embora ainda não fizesse parte da Igreja Católica. Depois da missa, eles se reuniam sem falta no salão paroquial do Bom Pastor para um jantar de prato coberto que compartilhavam.

Depois de um ano, eles começaram a se encontrar na Igreja Católica de Santa Cecília nas tardes de domingo às 16h00, novamente por cerca de um ano. Em 7 de abril de 1984, pe. Ramsey e Fr. Moore foi ordenado sacerdote na Igreja Católica Romana, tendo a Igreja Católica Santa Cecília como cenário. Agora, pela primeira vez, a comunidade pode oferecer o Santo Sacrifício com a santa Igreja de Cristo. Este foi o dia em que a Igreja Católica de Nossa Senhora de Walsingham foi erigida como uma paróquia da Diocese de Galveston-Houston, e pe. Moore e Fr. Ramsey foi nomeado co-pastor pelo Bispo Morkovsky. Nesta ocasião, os Padres Moore e Ramsey foram presenteados pelos seus paroquianos com a pequena imagem de Nossa Senhora de Walsingham que agora repousa montada na frente do púlpito da nova igreja.

A paróquia fez outra mudança e começou a se reunir em uma pequena capela da Duchesne Academy, a apenas uma milha ao sul da atual igreja. Em 1985, pe. Ramsey foi convidado pela diocese para se tornar pastor da Igreja Católica de São Nicolau no centro de Houston, então pe. Moore permaneceu como pastor da congregação, que a essa altura já havia crescido para algumas dezenas de famílias. Em maio de 1987, o primeiro diácono no uso anglicano e o primeiro diácono de OLW foi ordenado, o diácono James Barnett. No ano seguinte, a primeira vocação sacerdotal, pe. Wayne Flagg, também foi ordenado na Festa de Nossa Senhora de Walsingham, 24 de setembro de 1988. Portanto, o caminho de OLW não foi apenas enxertado na Igreja Católica de Galveston-Houston, também foi muito frutífero para a Igreja. (Além disso, Jonathan More ', está agora seguindo sua vocação sacerdotal em Roma. Ele foi o único seminarista escolhido pelo cardeal DiNardo para estudar no North American College e será ordenado em junho de 2017. O diácono John Denson foi um paroquiano de longa data. foi ordenado diácono vinculado à nossa paróquia e ao serviço da arquidiocese de Galveston-Houston. Ele serviu fielmente como nosso segundo diácono até seu falecimento. Mark Baker, paroquiano, completou o programa de formação de ordinariato e foi ordenado diácono permanente em julho de 2014. )

A capela de Duchesne foi demolida para alargar a Chimney Rock Road cerca de quatro anos e meio depois que Nossa Senhora de Walsingham começou a se reunir lá, então a paróquia mudou-se para um armazém a oeste, fora de Bingle Road, perto do Katy Freeway por mais quatro anos e meio. Esta seria a casa até maio de 1992, quando a Mãe Santíssima realizou um grande milagre - a comunidade foi capaz de dar um passo de fé e comprar um terreno e construir uma igreja permanente, que hoje é o St. Jude Hall. Era uma pequena igreja com capacidade para cerca de 80 pessoas. Pelos próximos onze anos, toda a freguesia e todas as suas atividades cabem neste pequeno edifício.

A missa era uma vez por semana, às 10h00 aos domingos, sendo as únicas exceções as ocasionais festas importantes ou dias santos. Depois de alguns anos, houve duas missas no domingo, depois também uma missa de vigília no sábado e, em seguida, foram acrescentadas missas diárias. Os paroquianos estabeleceram programas para educadores em casa, outros trabalharam no ministério de prisões e no ministério da AIDS, e outros cuidaram dos enfermos e necessitados da paróquia. Os vistores ficaram surpresos ao ver que uma congregação tão pequena amou tanto, compartilhou tanto e orou tanto. Em 1992, pe. Moore tirou um ano sabático, e pe. Bruce Noble serviu como sacerdote responsável. Fr. Moore voltou como pastor em 1996. Em 1998, a Sra. Kay Laro abordou o diácono Barnett após a missa e perguntou simplesmente: "Quanto você deve a esta igreja?" A paróquia vinha pagando suas dívidas e contas com doações, mesquinhas e bingo, mas aqui estava alguém dando um passo à frente para fazer um grande presente para pagar a velha igreja. Um ano depois, em dezembro de 1999, esta mesma senhora telefonou para o pe. Moore disse que estava doando um milhão de dólares para a paróquia, o que possibilitou o início de planos de construção sérios. Muitos outros presentes viriam, grandes e pequenos, de muitos outros doadores generosos, que tornaram possível o belo novo edifício.

Fr. Moore se aposentou como pastor em novembro de 2006, quando então o pe. Bruce Noble voltou novamente para pastorear o rebanho. Quando Fr. Noble era necessário para a arquidiocese retornar ao Catholic Chaplains Corps no Texas Medical Center, pe. James Ramsey respondeu à chamada e voltou como nosso pastor mais uma vez. Cada um desses três padres serviu como Igreja Católica Nossa Senhora de Walsingham em duas ocasiões distintas. Com as nossas necessidades crescentes de espaço, foram elaborados planos para novos escritórios, renovação do St. Jude Hall, um novo edifício para salas de aula e um novo santuário ao ar livre. Estas belas estruturas foram dedicadas pelo Cardeal DiNardo em maio de 2011.

Em novembro de 2009, o Papa Bento XVI generosamente nos deu a Constituição Apostólica, Anglicanorum coetibus, sua resposta aos episcopais e anglicanos que buscam a reunião corporativa com a Santa Sé, permitindo-lhes trazer com eles seu patrimônio anglicano, proporcionando assim um lugar permanente para nossa liturgia e tradições.

No dia 1º de janeiro de 2012, na solenidade de Maria Mãe de Deus, estrutura definida por Anglicanorum coetibus tornou-se uma realidade nos Estados Unidos. O Ordinariato Pessoal da Cátedra de São Pedro foi erigido com o Rev. Mons. Jeffrey Neil Steenson como nosso ordinário, e nossa igreja como a igreja principal do ordinariato. O programa de formação para a primeira turma de seminaristas e futuros padres do Ordinariato começou no St. Mary's Seminary em Houston por meio de tecnologia à distância, e em julho de 2012 pe. Charles Hough IV foi ordenado padre católico e designado reitor de Nossa Senhora de Walsingham.

Com a ordenação do nosso primeiro bispo, Steven J. Lopes, a 2 de fevereiro de 2016, a igreja paroquial de Nossa Senhora de Walsingham tornou-se a Catedral de Nossa Senhora de Walsingham. Para seu lema, o Bispo Lopes escolheu a frase em latim, “Magna Opera Domini”, ou em inglês, “Grandes são as obras do Senhor”. Com essas palavras, o novo bispo expressa sua admiração pela graça de Deus em atrair Seu povo à plenitude da comunhão eucarística.

Ninguém jamais poderia ter previsto, naquele dia de abril de 1984, que a Igreja Católica de Nossa Senhora de Walsingham seria um tal monumento da providência divina e da proteção fiel de Nossa Senhora. Mas a verdadeira gratidão que damos a Deus não é em tijolos ou pedra. Agradecemos-lhe em primeiro lugar como os católicos sempre o fizeram, desde aquela primeira missa no cenáculo: pela oferta amorosa e fiel de seu Filho todos os dias no altar. E esta paróquia, ainda pequena para os padrões atuais, levou adiante a graça daquele altar de muitas maneiras - em nosso amor um pelo outro, em boas obras pelos enfermos, viúvos e órfãos, enterrando os mortos, alimentando os famintos , aconselhando os aflitos, e todas as outras boas obras corporais e espirituais.

Rezemos com fervor à Mãe de Deus, Nossa Senhora de Walsingham: que ela continue a nos guardar, seus filhos, ensinando-nos a fazer todas as ações que agradam a seu Filho, e nos aproximando desta liturgia terrena para a celestial , sempre louvando a Trindade, que nos salvou.


Nossa Senhora de Walsingham

Nós, católicos americanos, tendemos a considerar a “pátria-mãe” da Inglaterra como totalmente protestante. Dada a nossa própria história colonial, este é um equívoco compreensível. Antes das terríveis ocorrências do século 15, conhecidas coletivamente como a "Reforma Protestante", todo o antigo Império Romano no oeste era católico Cristão, sob a autoridade do Santo Padre em Roma. É verdade que Henrique VIII, em sua fúria com o papa Clemente VII por não lhe conceder o divórcio de Catarina de Aragão, foi responsável pela morte de milhares de padres, bispos e fiéis católicos comuns que se recusaram a capitular à sua nova religião. (O historiador protestante, Raphael Holisend, estima o número em 72.000!) Mas, como veremos, a velha religião nunca desapareceu inteiramente da cena inglesa.

Desde os primeiros dias de nossa religião, os católicos desejam visitar os lugares sagrados onde o cristianismo começou. Então, quando Roma se tornou o centro da fé, eles desejaram viajar em peregrinação ao coração do catolicismo. Viajar naquela época era difícil para o peregrino comum. À medida que igrejas e mosteiros se tornaram locais de sepultamento de sacerdotes sagrados, até mártires, os fiéis em países distantes como a Inglaterra começaram a fazer peregrinações a esses locais mais próximos de casa. Estamos todos familiarizados com Chaucer's Canterbury Tales (1387-1400), que contou as histórias de peregrinos a caminho do túmulo de Santo Tomás de Becket, arcebispo de Cantuária, martirizado em 1170 por agentes do rei enquanto ele celebrava a missa.

Um santuário inglês menos conhecido, mas igualmente importante, é o de Nossa Senhora de Walsingham. O primeiro relato deste santuário aparece em uma balada publicada por Richard Pynson no final de 1400. A história conta que no ano de 1061, durante o reinado de São Eduardo, o Confessor, Nossa Senhora apareceu em um sonho a Richeldis de Faverches, uma jovem viúva rica na área de Norfolk, a nordeste de Londres e perto do Mar do Norte. Richeldis orou pedindo orientação em seu desejo de honrar Nossa Senhora de uma maneira especial, e ela viu o sonho como a resposta à sua oração. Nossa Senhora levou-a em espírito a Nazaré e disse-lhe que construísse uma réplica da Santa Casa de Walsingham como um memorial à Anunciação e, portanto, à Encarnação, para que “todos os que implorarem a sua ajuda encontrem aí socorro”.

Richeldis obviamente recebeu as dimensões da Santa Casa por Nossa Senhora. Seu dilema era onde colocá-lo em sua propriedade. Ela orou pedindo orientação e, na manhã seguinte, encontrou duas áreas de solo seco, as dimensões exatas da Santa Casa. Ela escolheu o mais próximo de dois poços e o trabalho começou. Por mais que tentassem, os operários não conseguiam encaixar as paredes de madeira da pequena Casa Santa. Mais uma vez, Richeldis orou pedindo orientação. Na manhã seguinte, ela acordou para encontrar a casa milagrosamente movida para o segundo local - a cerca de duzentos metros de distância - e construída de forma muito mais sólida do que qualquer um dos trabalhadores locais poderia ter conseguido! A balada de Pynson afirma muitos milagres "numerosos demais para serem mencionados" a todos os fiéis que visitaram a Santa Casa.

Em 1145, o filho de Richeldis, Geoffrey de Faverches, estava se preparando para entrar na segunda Cruzada. Antes de fazer isso, ele testou a Santa Casa e o terreno, junto com a Igreja paroquial de Todos os Santos, a seu capelão, Edwin. Os canhões agostinianos foram trazidos por Edwin para ajudar a conduzir os assuntos do santuário. Acredita-se que, na época em que os agostinianos assumiram o controle, Walsingham havia se tornado um lugar popular de peregrinação entre os fiéis ingleses. Por volta de 1150, os Canhões construíram um priorado e ministraram à população local, bem como aos peregrinos visitantes. O santuário obviamente aumentou em popularidade porque sabemos que duzentos anos depois, eles ergueram um priorado muito maior. Deve ter sido um complexo muito impressionante, com 250 pés de comprimento, 25 metros de largura e feito de pedra trazida por mar de outra parte da Inglaterra. A torre central tinha quatro torres douradas. Além da igreja do Priorado, havia uma pequena capela de São Lourenço, na qual foi guardada uma relíquia do dedo de São Pedro. Este último fato fascinante sabemos de - de todas as pessoas - Erasmus, que veio a Walsingham em peregrinação em 1514. Erasmus ficou tão impressionado com o santuário que ele compôs uma oração do peregrino que ainda está em uso hoje.

Devido ao crescente número de peregrinos ao santuário, em meados do século XIV a Capela de Nossa Senhora foi erguida para encerrar e proteger a Casa Santa original. Na época, era conhecido como “Novum Opus” ou “Nova Obra”. Mais ou menos na mesma época, uma estátua de Nossa Senhora foi introduzida na Santa Casa ao lado do altar. Qual era a aparência desta imagem de Nossa Senhora de Walsingham, podemos apenas adivinhar. Erasmus se referiu a ele como uma "pequena imagem, notável nem pelo tamanho, material ou execução" & # 8230 "no escuro no lado direito do altar." O prior John Snoring era o responsável por esse gasto de fundos, o que o colocou em apuros com os outros cônegos por gastar muito dinheiro. Ele foi demitido por este motivo. It sad today that the only part of the Priory remaining is the magnificent East Window so whether the good Prior overspent or not, we must thank him for giving us this hint of the magnificence of the destroyed shrine. The fate of the Holy House, the relics and the statue we shall discover shortly.

As pilgrim shrines gained in importance, it was common for smaller chapels, shrines and stone crosses to mark the pilgrims’ way to their goal. Of course, the faithful came on foot, their journey lasting many months, sometimes years so these markers encouraged them to continue on their way. So was built the Slipper Chapel in the mid to late 1300’s. This lovely little Gothic-style (also called “perpendicular”) chapel is just a little larger than dimensions of the Holy House — 28’6” x 12’5”. It marks the last stop on the way to Walsingham being exactly one mile from the priory. Most historians believe that it is called the Slipper Chapel from the habit of the pilgrims removing their shoes at this stop and walking the last mile barefoot. It could also come from the Old English word “slype” meaning “something in between” as it was between Walsingham and the outside world. The Slipper Chapel is dedicated to St. Catherine of Alexandria , patroness of pilgrims. Interestingly, the chapel was oriented so that on her feast day, November 25th, the sun rises directly behind the altar. Another interesting fact is that there is a chapel of St. Catherine one mile outside Nazareth which was maintained by the Knights of St. Catherine. No wonder Walsingham is called “England ’s Nazareth ”!

In the year 1226 news of the miraculous happenings at Walsingham reached royal ears in London, Henry III visited the shrine and granted the Canons the right to hold a weekly market and an annual fair. This Henry visited Walsingham thirteen times, and became a patron, giving many valuable gifts over the years including a gold crown for the image of Our Lady in the Chapel. The village of Walsingham grew around the success of the shrine as hostelries, eating houses and other business establishments catering to visitors sprang up. Indeed, the population of the village was at its height during the heyday of the medieval pilgrimages. A second religious order, the Franciscans, was given permission by Pope and King to erect a friary nearby in 1347, adding to the religious atmosphere of the little town.

Several English kings were devotees of the Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham. Henry III’s son, Edward I, credited Our Lady with saving his life as a youth. He was playing chess in a vaulted room, when for no apparent reason, he felt the urge to get up from his seat. Seconds later a large stone fell from the roof and landed on the very spot where he had been sitting. Henry VII was a patron and credited Our Lady with his victory in the Battle of Stoke in 1487. We may be astounded to learn that Henry VIII made a pilgrimage to the shrine in 1511 to give thanks for the birth of a son, Prince Henry. He gave several valuable gifts and when he noticed that the windows of Our Lady’s Chapel were unglazed, he gave the money needed to complete that work. There was no hint at this happy time of the impending disaster.

Storm Clouds Gather

Henry VIII was the second son of his father, Henry VII. His older brother, Arthur, as Prince of Wales, would succeed to the throne. Arthur, however, was a sickly young boy. Arthur had been betrothed to the fourth daughter of King Ferdinand of Spain, Catherine, at the age of twelve. They were married when Arthur was fourteen, and he died soon after. As with most marriages of the European royal houses, this was an arranged one, and because of Arthur’s ill health, it had never been consummated. Henry ascended the throne in 1509 and expressed his wish to marry his brother’s widow, Catherine. Canon law required a papal dispensation for this marriage to take place, and since there was no obvious impediment, it was granted. They were married in June of 1509.

Henry and Catherine had five children, only one of whom, Mary, survived infancy. Catherine was seven years older than Henry, and he was beginning to chafe for a male heir to the throne. Additionally, he was not exactly what we would call today a faithful husband. He had fathered at least one child by one of the ladies of the court, and now he had his eye on one Anne Boelyn, a handmaid to the queen. Suddenly getting”pangs of conscience”about marrying his brother’s widow, he petitioned the Pope to have his marriage declared null so that he could marry Anne. The Pope refused, naturally, several times. What is ironic here is that Henry was a great favorite of the Holy Father. He had written a book, Assertio Septem Sacramentorum , against the errors of Luther defending the seven Sacraments, the Mass and the Papacy itself! For this he was given the title “Defender of the Faith”, which the English monarchs claim to this day.

Henry was a man of great appetites. Besides his lust, his avarice got the better of him. If he broke away from Rome and declared himself the head of the Catholic Church in England , he would have access to the property and treasuries of all the churches and monasteries in the country. His co-conspirator in all these proceedings was one Thomas Cranmer, who was appointed to the recently-vacated position of Archbishop of Canterbury. The chronology reads like a modern TV soap opera. Suffice it to say that Henry married the pregnant Anne before Cranmer defied the Pope and granted him a divorce from Catherine, thus being married to two women at once!

Unfortunately for Anne, she did not produce a male heir, only a daughter (who would become Elizabeth I, as ruthless a Catholic-killer as her father). When Catherine died in 1536, she was mourned by all of England . She had been banished from the court and was not allowed to see her only child the last years of her life. Anne rejoiced, for now she said she was truly a queen. Little did she know, that less than three months after Catherine’s death, she would die upon the scaffold, accused of treason, adultery, and incest! 1 The break from Rome was final by this time, and the busy Henry now had a Church to form and a new wife to find! How appropriate Cobbett’s observation that “the thing called the Reformation was engendered in lust and brought forth in hypocrisy and perfidy”.

As the supreme head of the new Church of England, Henry, with the co-operation of the evil Cranmer, required all Roman Catholic religious to sign an Act of Supremacy acknowledging his new role and renouncing the supremacy of the Pope. This new position — a boon to the coffers of the throne — made the king the actual owner of all the properties and treasuries of the formerly Roman Catholic churches, convents, priories and monasteries. Much to their discredit, the Priors and Canons of Walsingham were among the first in England to sign the oath of loyalty to the king on September 18, 1534. Not all succumbed, though, for Nicholas Mileham, sub-prior of the monastery and George Guiseborough, a layman, were hanged, drawn and quartered on May 30, 1537 for protesting the changes taking place at the Priory. The field where they died, overlooking the village of Walsingham, is still known today as the Martyrs’ Field.

The next step in Henry’s evil plan was the supression of religious houses. Walsingham, being of secondary importance escaped the first round, but the time for its dissolution came in July of 1538. The shrine was closed and the beloved statue was taken away to

London to suffer the fate of thousands of other statues and images in Reformation England: She was burned at Chelsea in the presence of Cromwell in September of 1538. In August of that same year, the priory was handed over to the King’s Commissioners, and after looting it of all its wealth, the Holy House of Richeldis was burned to the ground. At its dissolution, the Priory was sold to Sir Thomas Sidney. Some years later, in 1578, Queen Elizabeth visited Walsingham accompanied by Sir Philip Howard. Ironically, Sir Philip ended his life in 1595 in the Tower of London , a martyr for his Faith. It is he who is believed to be the author of the Walsingham Lament , based on the experience of his visit to the ruined priory years before. Here are the final two verses of this eleven verse lament:

Weep, weep, O Walsingham
whose days are nights,
blessings turned to blasphemies,
Holy deeds to despites.
Sin is where Our Lady sat,
Heaven turned is to hell,
Satan sits where Our Lord did sway,
Walsingham, oh farewell!

Together, Henry and Cranmerwere responsible for the death of thousands of Catholics and Protestants alike, most of their victims done in in very gruesome ways. In addition to the bloodshed, Henry usurped the powers granted to Parliament and emasculated the great tradition of English law begun with the enacting of the Magna Carta. It can truthfully be said that the English Reformation was enforced upon the common people by a campaign of terror. His confiscation of private property and enactment of Poor Laws made England a nation of paupers. It has been claimed that on his deathbed in 1547, Henry had a vision of monks and priests coming to accompany his soul to hell!

Cranmer, as we know, got his just desserts in the reign of Mary, Henry’s oldest (and only legitimate) child, daughter of the good Queen Catherine. Mary had remained staunchly Catholic through all the upheaval and bloodshed of her father’s new religion. When he was convicted of treason and sentenced to the stake, Cranmer recanted his religion, but refused to repeat it on the day of his execution. As the flames grew higher, he thrust the paper on which he had signed his confession into the fire. Mary has undeservedly been given the title “Bloody Mary” by history. However, her dispatching of this evil creature is to her everlasting credit. Alas, Mary’s time as queen — and England ’s return to the Catholic faith as its official religion — was but a brief six years. Her many sorrows and her weak physical constitution contributed to her early death at the age of forty-two. Although her half-sister, Elizabeth, was nominally a Catholic during Mary’s reign, the Pope refused to acknowledge her legitimacy. Besides, she was truly a Protestant at heart having been raised in an atmosphere of hate for the Catholic religion.

When Queen Elizabeth visited the village of Walsingham , it held only three Catholic families. It was dangerous to claim the old Faith during these years. Since the village had virtually lost its reason for being with the shrine gone and all the commerce attached to it lost, Walsingham once again became a sleepy little backwater. The Priory remained in private hands being sold every few years to new owners. In 1756, the Lee Warner family purchased the property, and it remains in that family’s hands today. The fate of the Slipper Chapel is a happier one. By God’s grace, it escaped the destruction that so many of the Catholic churches and chapels suffered. Our Lord and Our Lady must have had something special in mind for this beautiful little building, for its story is sad and happy at the same time.

The Catholic Faith hadto go underground during the next succeeding centuries. It continued to be held here and there by this family and that, but always discreetly. Although the little Slipper Chapel over the next three centuries deteriorated, being used as a barn, a residence and a cow shed, it remained standing, and reports of Catholics stopping by to pray in front of it can be traced back to at least 1800, and possibly earlier. We skip to the year 1829 when the Act of Emancipation was enacted, lifting all restrictions against Roman Catholics in England . The Act allowed Catholics to worship openly and even to participate in the political life of the country.

The Oxford Movement

In the 1830’s several Anglican priests of Oxford University urged a return to the theological and liturgical roots of the English Catholic Church. They held that the “three branches” of Catholicism — Roman, English and Orthodox — could all claim apostolic succession. Over the next decade, these priests — John Henry Newman is the most famous of them — wrote a series of tracts and preached sermons which became more and more sympathetic to the Roman Catholic Church. When the Bishop of Oxford put an end to their activities, several hundred Anglican priests, Newman among them, converted to Roman Catholicism. Within the Anglican Church, the Oxford movement brought back the wearing of vestments, the use of incense, confessions, the Rosary, candles and a more elaborate ritual in the worship services. These Anglicans called themselves “Anglo-Catholics” and thought of themselves as a middle way between Roman Catholicism and Protestantism.

Just as Walsingham Shrine began with a wealthy young widow, so does the restoration of Catholic worship there begin with a wealthy young single woman, Miss Charlotte Pearson Boyd, born about the time the Oxford movement was just getting started — in 1837. At the tender age of thirteen, Charlotte was so moved by the ruins of Glastonbury Abbey, that she made mention of it to an Anglican clergyman who wanted to restore religious life in the Church of England. His advice to her was to make the restoration of the desolated shrines her life work. She took him seriously, and in addition to her other philanthropical projects, such as founding orphanages for homeless children, purchased the little Slipper Chapel from the Lee Warner family. Her intention was to purchase all of the property of the former Shrine, but the family would not sell it to her. She most desperately wanted to restore Benedictine religious life to the Anglican Catholic Church. Charlotte was successful in most of her ventures, but this dream of hers was never realized.

Charlotte had a very close relationship with several Anglican priests, who were her chaplains, both personally and at her numerous orphanages. Two of them, Reginald Camm and Henry Worth became interested in Roman Catholic worship during their travels in Europe , particularly at the monastery of Maredsous in Belgium. Camm remained there, converted to Catholicism, and became Dom Bede Camm, O. S. B. and encouraged Charlotte to visit. As she traveled Europe witnessing Real Catholic worship, her heart and mind told her that her true home was the Roman Catholic Church, not the false English hybrid that had been her lifelong association. In 1894, at the age of fifty-seven, Charlotte became a Catholic. It seems that it was the continuity of worship all over Europe that convinced Charlotte that the Roman Church was the one of true apostolic succession.

Her happy decision caused some problems for her at home, however. Several of her orphanages were staffed by Anglican sisters, and a number of the buildings she purchased had been given over to the English Church. Charlotte’s own brother was an Anglican priest so naturally, she faced hostility from her family and her Anglican friends. Much to her credit and in her diplomatic and convincing way, she brought the Sisters into the Catholic Faith. Fortunately for the Catholic side, she completed negotiations for the Slipper Chapel after she had embraced the Faith so there was never a question of ownership or what kind of worship would take place there. For some reason, though, Charlotte was never able to convince the local bishop to allow Catholic Mass in the Chapel, even after she had had it restored at her own expense.

In 1897, Fr. George Wrigglesworth, rector at the nearby town of King’s Lynn , and Fr. Philip Fletcher, Master of the Guild of Our Lady of Ransom, built a Shrine Chapel of the Holy House of Nazareth in their new church of the Annunciation with the clear intention to revive pilgrimage in honor of Our Lady of Walsingham. A new statue was commissioned and installed in the Shrine. The modern-day pligrimage began that year when a group of about fifty Catholics processed from the Church to the recently restored Slipper Chapel, singing and praying as they went. One of the pilgrims was the indomitable Charlotte Boyd. Sadly, she did not live to see the second renovation of the little chapel and the first Mass celebrated there in almost 400 years when the Slipper Chapel was given the designation of the official shrine of Our Lady in England in 1934. Charlotte died in 1906 at her orphanage in Kilburn, cared for by the Catholic sisters there.

Coincidentally, probably because of the renewed interest of Catholics and the movement to traditional devotionals as an outgrowth of the Oxford movement, the local Anglican vicar, Alfred Hope Patten, placed a statue of Our Lady of Walsingham in his church and began encouraging pilgrimages and devotion to her in 1921. Ten years later, the Anglicans built a new shrine and Holy House replica, and in 1938, an elaborate shrine church was built around the Holy House. Both Shrines began to attract more and more pilgrims as the years passed.

In the mid-1930’s, Charlotte Boyd’s dream was finally realized when Fr. Bruno Scott James, a convert from Anglicanism, was appointed Priest-Custodian of the Catholic shrine.Fr. James was a dynamic, independent priest, and under his custodianship, pilgrimages to the Shrine increased by vast numbers. Fifty-thousand Catholic pilgrims paid homage to Our Lady in 1938. Unfortunately, the war years brought a temporary end to pilgrimages to Walsingham. Because of its proximity to the North Sea , Walsingham became part of a restricted zone. In fact, the first Mass since the “Reformation” was offered at the site of the original Priory high altar for American servicemen stationed in East Anglia in 1944.

After the War, pilgrimages resumed and became more popular than before. The numbers of pilgrims increased to the point that a new chapel had to be built. Individual groups can number as many as 10,000 at a time today. Of course, all new structures are built according to Novus Ordo requirements. For example the chapel built in 1973 is an open-sided structure resembling a shed with a free-standing granite altar. Some traditions remain, however, The Slipper Chapel still harks back to medieval times and was given a beautiful new statue of Our Lady of Walsingham in 1954.

It was hoped that Pope John Paul II would visit Walsingham during his trip to England in 1982. Although this did not happen, the statue of Our Lady was brought to Wembly stadium in London for the Holy Father to venerate at his Mass there. She had an uncermonius trip in the “boot” (trunk) of the local priest’s car, this time, not to be burned as in 1538, but to be venerated.

Sadly — in the eyes of Traditionalists — in recent years the ecumenism craze has hit Walsingham as it has the rest of the Novus Ordo Church . It is not uncommon for the priest of the Catholic Shrine to preach at the Anglican Shrine, and vice-versa. For example, in 1980, 10,000 Catholics accompanied Cardinal Hume and his bishops to Walsingham. After venerating Our Lady at the Slipper Chapel, they processed to the Anglican Shrine to pray for Christian unity. That same year, 15,000 Anglican pilgrims, led by the Archbishop of Canterbury,visited the Slipper Chapel to light a candle and make the same prayer. It seems that the only unity they are interested in today is “Let’s all get along and love one another. After all, we’re not naquela far apart!”.

Today, even the open-air chapel cannot hold the crowds. A new one was built in 1980 in the simple Anglo-Saxon style, accommodating seven hundred worshipers. Once again, Walsingham is the official Shrine of Our lady in England , marking that country as the “Dowry of Our Lady”, a title given her in early medieval times recalling Richard Pynson’s fifteenth century Ballad of Walsingham . The final verse of this ballad goes as follows:

O gracious Lady glory of Jerusalem
Cypress of Sion and joy of Israel
Rose of Jericho and star of Bethlehem
O glorious Lady our asking not repel
In mercy all women ever thou dost excel
Therefore blessed Lady grant thou thy great grace
To all that thee devoutly visit this place. Um homem.

Author’s note: In researching the topic of this article, several books and pamphlets were obtained from the Roman Catholic Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham in England . Without exception, all glossed over the terrible happenings during the reign of Henry VIII and Elizabeth I, referring only to the “Dissolution” as a somewhat unfortunate historical event. No doubt this attitude reflects the current “ecumenical” attitude of getting along because it’s nicer ! Other, older works, had to be consulted for the more vivid descriptions of the occurrances of the “Reformation” in England. Let us pray that the prayers for Christian unity bring English “Anglo-Catholics” back into the fold of the One, True Church .

1 Although Anne was accused and convicted of adultery with four men of the court and incest with her brother, these charges were trumped up by Henry and Cranmer so that she could be accused of treason and executed, for already Henry had his eye on one Jane Seymour as his next wife. Indeed Henry and Jane were married the day after Anne died.

There is some evidence that Anne was actually Henry’s daughter, being the offspring of one Lady Elizabeth Boelyn, with whom it was known that Henry had an illicit liason. This is mentioned in Dr. Bayley’s Life of Bishop Fisher and Sanders’ Anglican Schism . Or, see Cobbett’s A History of the Protestant Reformation in England and Ireland . Henry was confronted with this by Lady Elizabeth before his marriage to Anne, and he is quoted as saying that he would marry her regardless.


Packed with pilgrims

The entire medieval village was dominated by ecclesiastical buildings and fine medieval timber-framed jetted buildings — still visible today — that provided hostelries and shops serving the pilgrims who poured into the village. Walsingham’s highly unusual grid pattern of streets is a direct result of this, an early example of a planning system, for a village catering principally for visitors. Around 1252 a charter was granted to hold a weekly market and an annual fair.

By the fourteenth century, so many pilgrims were visiting the shrine that the priory was enlarged and the little wooden holy house was encased in a larger stone chapel. Only the vast East Window of the priory remains to give us some idea of its scale and magnificence.


Walsingham, England (1061)

Resumo

In 1061, Our Lady appeared to Richeldis de Faverches, a Catholic English noblewoman in the village of Walsingham in Norfolk, England.

Our Lady of Walsingham presented her with the plans of the Holy House of the Holy Family in Nazareth and asked that she build the house as a shrine and place of pilgrimage.

The chapel was founded by Richeldis, the mother of Geoffrey of Favraches as confirmed by the earliest deeds.

According to the text of the Pynson Ballad (c 1485), Richeldis de Faverches prayed that she might perform special deed as a gift to honor Our Lady. The Virgin Mary answered her prayer and led her in spirit to Nazareth, showing her the location where the Annunciation had occurred. Our Lady requested that a a replica house be built in Walsingham to serve as a memory of the Annunciation for all time.

This Holy House was built and a religious community took charge of the foundation. With papal approval, the Augustinian Canons built a Priory (c 1150). .

Geoffrey son of Richeldis gifted 'to God and St. Mary and to Edwy his clerk the chapel of our Lady' with the intention that Edwy should found a priory. These gifts were, shortly afterwards, confirmed to the Austin Canons of Walsingham by Robert de Brucurt and Roger, earl of Clare.

Our Lady of Walsingham had not only become one of the great pilgrimage sites of England along with Canterbury and Glastonbury, and but also in all of Europe as it became third most popular site behind Rome and Compostella, Spain.

The suppression of the devotion to Our Lady of Walsingham began as evidenced by the writing of Protestant bishop Latimer wrote of the image of Mary saying that "She hath been the Devil's instrument, I fear, to bring many to eternal fire now she herself with her older sister of Walsingham, her younger sister of Ipswich, and their two sisters of Doncaster and Penrhys will make a jolly muster in Smithfield. They would not be all day in burning".

The Reformation caused the Priory property to be handed over to the King&rsquos Commissioners and the statue of Our Lady of Walsingham was taken to London and burnt. The original shrine has no remnants, but its site features the marker noting &ldquoThe Abbey Grounds&rdquo in the village.

King Henry VIII approved the burning of the image of Our Lady of Walsingham: "It was the month of July, the images of Our Lady of Walsingham and Ipswich were brought up to London with all the jewels that hung around them, at the King's commandment, and divers other images, both in England and Wales, that were used for common pilgrimage. and they were burnt at Chelsea by my Lord Privy Seal".

After the destruction of the Shrine, Walsingham no longer was a place of public pilgrimage. All devotion was done in secret until after the Catholic Emancipation when public expressions of faith were once again allowed.

Charlotte Pearson Boyd purchased the 14th century Slipper Chapel, the last of the wayside chapels en-route to Walsingham, and restored it for Catholic use.

Pope Leo XIII by rescript re-established the Slipper Chapel as a Roman Catholic shrine, now known as the National Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham. The Holy House had been rebuilt at the Church of the Annunciation at King's Lynn.

Aug 20, 1897

The Guild of Our Lady of Ransom, brought the first public pilgrimage to Walsingham. Visitors to the Slipper Chapel increased in number, and after some time, the devotion and the number of pilgrimages increased.

Aug 19, 1934

Cardinal Bourne and Bishop Lawrence Youens led the Bishops of England and Wales, together with 10,000 pilgrims to the Slipper Chapel. At this pilgrimage, the Slipper Chapel was declared to be the National Shrine of Our Lady for Roman Catholics in England.

May 17, 1945

American Forces organixeed the first Mass in the Priory grounds since the Reformation. During the war, Walsingham was a restricted zone and closed to visitors, but many service men and women showed interest in the Shrine.

The First Cross Carrying Pilgrimage for Peace, Penance and Prayer in began a tradition that continue today. Pilgrims still walk to the Shrine during Holy Week

The Marist Fathers took over the care of the shrine and, together with the Marist Sisters, are organize the the ministry to the pilgrims.

During Pope John Paul II's visit, the Slipper Chapel Statue was taken to Wembley Stadium and was carried around the stadium prior to the Papal Mass preceeded by The Director of the Roman Catholic Shrine and the Administrator of the Anglican Shrine. The Popeasked that the statue be placed on the altar for the Mass.

John Paul II decreed that the feast of Our Lady of Walsingham, patroness of England, and in modern times patroness of all English-speaking peoples, would be celebrated on September 24th in England. It is a solemnity for all parishes in any part of the world named for Our Lady under this title.

Our Lady of Walsingham was formerly celebrated on March 25th, "Lady Day" (Feast of the Annunciation), but for ecumenical reasons was moved to September 24th. (September 24 in England had been the feast of Our Lady of Ransom.)

The feast of Our Lady of Walsingham was celebrated for the first time on the new date in 2001.

The famous statue of Our Lady of Walsingham depicts Mary as seated, as a dignified queen wearing a simple Saxon-style crown and carrying the Christ-child seated upright on her lap.


Mary requested that Richeldis build a replica of the house of Nazareth in Walsingham. To Richeldis, Our Lady said: "Do all this unto my special praise and honor. And all who are in any way distressed or in need, let them seek me here in that little house you have made at Walsingham. To all that seek me there shall be given succor. And there at Walsingham in this little house shall be held in remembrance the great joy of my salutation when Saint Gabriel told me I should through humility become the Mother of God's Son.& quot

With papal approval, the Augustinian Canons built a Priory (c 1150).

During Pope John Paul II's visit in 1982, the Slipper Chapel Statue was taken to Wembley Stadium and was carried around the stadium prior to the Papal Mass preceeded by The Director of the Roman Catholic Shrine and the Administrator of the Anglican Shrine. The Pope asked that the statue be placed on the altar for the Mass.

In 2000, John Paul II decreed that the feast of Our Lady of Walsingham would be celebrated on September 24th in England.

In the year 2000, The Holy Father John Paul II decreed that the feast of Our Lady of Walsingham, medieval patroness of England, and in modern times patroness of all English-speaking peoples, is now celebrated on September 24th in England. It is a solemnity for all parishes in any part of the world named for Our Lady under this title.

Our Lady of Walsingham was formerly celebrated on March 25th, "Lady Day" (Feast of the Annunciation), but for ecumenical reasons was moved to September 24th. (September 24 in England had been the feast of Our Lady of Ransom.)

The feast of Our Lady of Walsingham was celebrated for the first time on the new date in 2001.

Our Lady of Walsingham, pray the Lord for us.

Mary conceived without sin, pray the Lord for us.
Mary the Virgin, pray the Lord for us.
Mary, the Mother of God, pray the Lord for us.
Mary, taken up to Heaven, pray the Lord for us.
Mary at Bethlehem, pray for all mothers.
Mary at Nazareth, pray for all families.
Mary at Cana, pray for all married couples.
Mary, who stood by the Cross, pray for all who suffer.
Mary in the Upper Room, pray for all who wait.
Mary, model of womanhood, pray for all women.

Woman of faith, keep us in mind.
Woman of hope, keep us in mind.
Woman of charity, keep us in mind.
Woman of suffering, keep us in mind.
Woman of anxiety, keep us in mind.
Woman of humility, keep us in mind.
Woman of poverty, keep us in mind.
Woman of purity, keep us in mind.
Woman of obedience, keep us in mind.

Woman who wondered, remember us to God.
Woman who listened, remember us to God.
Woman who followed, remember us to God.
Woman who longed for Him, remember us to God.
Woman who loved Him, remember us to God.

Our Lady of Walsingham, pray the Lord for us. (. )

Mother of God, be our mother always.
Mother of the Church, be our mother always.
Mother of the world, be our mother always.
Mother we need, be our mother always.
Mother who went on believing, we thank God for you.
Mother who never lost hope, we thank God for you.
Mother who loved to the end, we thank God for you.

All holy and ever-living God, in giving us Jesus Christ to be our Savior and Brother, you gave us Mary, His Mother, to be our Mother also. Grant, we pray you, that we may be worthy of so great a Brother and so dear a Mother. May we come at last to you the Father of us all through Jesus Christ your Son, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit for ever and ever.
Um homem.

Jesus, Mary and Joseph, I give you my heart and my soul.
Jesus, Mary and Joseph, assist me in my last agony.
Jesus, Mary and Joseph, may I breathe forth my soul in peace with you.


(From the Litany of the late Father Eric Doyle, OFM)
See http://www.walsingham.org.uk/romancatholic

The Roman Catholic National Shrine, Walsingham / The Slipper Chapel
Houghton St Giles,
Walsingham, Norfolk, NR22 6AL


Assista o vídeo: Our Lady of Walsingham FULL film, Documentary, Shrine, Catholic, Marys Dowry, Norfolk, England