Clinton, De Witt - História

Clinton, De Witt - História

Clinton, De Witt (1769-1828) Político: De Witt Clinton foi admitido na ordem dos advogados do estado de Nova York em 1788. Depois de ser eleito para a legislatura estadual em 1797 e servir no Senado estadual de 1798 a 1802; ele se tornou um senador dos Estados Unidos em 1802. Clinton no mesmo ano, depois que seu tio o nomeou prefeito de Nova York. Ele concorreu à presidência em 1812, mas foi derrotado por James Madison. Clinton permaneceu prefeito de Nova York até 1815. Promovendo a ideia de construir o Canal Erie, foi eleito governador do estado de Nova York em 1817. Enquanto estava no cargo, ele apoiou as propostas de Emma Willard para a igualdade educacional para as mulheres, embora essas propostas fossem rejeitadas pelo legislativo estadual. Clinton a convidou a mudar sua escola em Connecticut para Nova York, o que ela fez em 1821. Ele cumpriu sua ambição para o Canal Erie supervisionando sua conclusão e abrindo-o em 1825. Clinton morreu no cargo em 1828.


Condado de DeWitt, Projeto ILGenWeb

Se você chegou aqui por meio de um site que cobrou por alguma informação, entre em contato com a pessoa ou site que o encaminhou até aqui. As informações contidas neste site são GRATUITAS e você não deve ser cobrado por nenhuma informação aqui contida. The USGenWeb Project, The ILGenWeb Project e The DeWittGenWeb não são responsáveis ​​por quaisquer encargos.

O Projeto DeWitt County, ILGenWeb estende um agradecimento muito especial aos nossos antigos coordenadores e voluntários do condado. A Earliene Kaelin, Sheryl Byrd e Judy Simpson por todo o tempo e esforço que dedicaram ao site, tanto escrevendo, revisando, corrigindo erros de digitação e formatando e re-formatando as páginas da web. Aos nossos voluntários que datilografaram biografias, transcreveram censos, copiaram registros de terras, enviaram fotos e compartilharam suas próprias lembranças pessoais. Sem a ajuda deles, este site não seria o que é hoje. Nossos agradecimentos a todos os nossos voluntários e colaboradores, no passado, no presente e no futuro. Nós não poderíamos fazê-lo sem você.


Genealogia de Clinton (no condado de De Witt, IL)

NOTA: Registros adicionais que se aplicam a Clinton também podem ser encontrados nas páginas de De Witt County e Illinois.

Registros de nascimento de Clinton

Clinton Cemetery Records

Cemitério do Memorial Park bilhões de túmulos

Cemitério de Oak Park bilhões de túmulos

Cemitério Woodlawn bilhões de túmulos

Registros do censo de Clinton

Censo Federal dos Estados Unidos, Pesquisa Familiar 1790-1940

Clinton Church Records

Clinton City Directories

Clinton Death Records

Índice de arquivos do inquérito do condado de DeWitt County Coroner's (1924-1977) Arquivo do estado de Illinois

Histórias e genealogias de Clinton

History of Clintonia Township US Gen Web Archives

Registros de imigração de Clinton

Clinton Land Records

Clinton Map Records

Mapa panorâmico da cidade de Clinton, DeWitt County, Illinois 1869. Biblioteca do Congresso

Mapa do seguro contra incêndio de Sanborn, em Clinton, Condado de De Witt, Illinois, Biblioteca do Congresso de abril de 1887

Mapa do seguro contra incêndio de Sanborn de Clinton, Condado de De Witt, Illinois, Biblioteca do Congresso de dezembro de 1892

Mapa do seguro contra incêndio de Sanborn, em Clinton, Condado de De Witt, Illinois, Biblioteca do Congresso de janeiro de 1916

Mapa do seguro contra incêndio de Sanborn de Clinton, Condado de De Witt, Illinois, março de 1898 Biblioteca do Congresso

Mapa de seguro contra incêndio de Sanborn de Clinton, Condado de De Witt, Illinois, Biblioteca do Congresso de maio de 1910

Mapa do seguro contra incêndio de Sanborn, em Clinton, Condado de De Witt, Illinois, Biblioteca do Congresso de outubro de 1904

Clinton Marriage Records

Jornais e obituários de Clinton

Central Transcript 1856-1862 Newspapers.com

Clinton Daily Journal and Public 1927-1963 Newspapers.com

Clinton Daily Public 1915-1926 Newspapers.com

Clinton Morning Journal 1921-1926 Newspapers.com

Clinton Public 1862-1863 Newspapers.com

Clinton Public 1869-1901 Newspapers.com

Clinton Public and Central Transcript 1864-1869 Newspapers.com

Clinton Register 1882-1915 Newspapers.com

Clinton Semi-Weekly Register 1870-1872 Newspapers.com

Clinton Tribune 1884-1884 Biblioteca Pública de Farmer City

Clinton Weekly Register 1872-1882 Newspapers.com

De Witt County Public e Central Transcript 1863-1864 Newspapers.com

DeWitt Courier 1854-1856 Newspapers.com

DeWitt Register 1868-1870 Newspapers.com

Strike Bulletin 1913-1915 Newspapers.com

Strike Bulletin, coleções de jornais digitais de Illinois 1913-1915

Jornais offline para Clinton

De acordo com o US Newspaper Directory, os seguintes jornais foram impressos, portanto, pode haver cópias em papel ou microfilme disponíveis. Para obter mais informações sobre como localizar jornais off-line, consulte nosso artigo sobre como localizar jornais off-line.

Transcrição Central. (Clinton, Ills. [Ill.]) 1856-1862

Clinton Daily Journal and Public. (Clinton, Ill.) 1927-1979

Clinton Daily Journal. (Clinton, Ill.) 1980-Atual

Clinton Public e Central Transcript. (Clinton, Ill.) 1864-1869

Clinton Public. (Clinton, Condado de De Witt, Illinois.) 1862-1863

Clinton Register. (Clinton, Ill.) 1882-1926

Registro Semi-Semanal de Clinton. (Clinton, Ill.) 1870-1872

Clinton Weekly Register. (Clinton, Ill.) 1868-1882

De Witt County Public e Central Transcript. (Clinton, Condado de De Witt, Illinois) 1863-1864

Constituição do Condado de Dewitt. (Clinton, Ill.) 1997-Atual

Dewitt Register. (Clinton, Ill.) 1868-1870

Registros de sucessões de Clinton

Clinton School Records

Clinton Community High School Yearbook, 1930, 1931, 1937, 1938, 1939, 1940, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1958, 1959, 1960, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, Arquivo da Internet de 1992

Clinton Community High School Yearbook, 1961, 1963 Internet Archive

Clinton Community High School, Clintonia, 1910, 1962 Arquivo da Internet

Clinton High School Yearbook, 1910, 1912, 1917, 1918, 1920, 1921, 1922, 1923, 1924, 1925, 1926, 1927, 1928, 1929 Arquivo da Internet

Clinton High School Yearbook, 1919 Internet Archive

Clinton Junior High School Yearbook, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004 Internet Archive

Adições ou correções a esta página? Agradecemos suas sugestões por meio de nossa página de contato


Clinton, De Witt - História

Coleção de História Local da Biblioteca do Distrito DeWitt

A Biblioteca do distrito de DeWitt não tem atualmente uma sala de história local. Os itens mais populares estão nas prateleiras, enquanto os materiais de arquivo são armazenados em vários locais. Por favor, providencie com antecedência se deseja visualizar qualquer material de arquivo. A biblioteca está em processo de digitalização e disponibilização de grande parte de seu acervo neste site. Por favor, verifique novamente, pois novo material será adicionado regularmente.

  • Cook Family Letters - três gerações de cartas de 1841 a 1913

  • Dateline DeWitt - artigos do Guia de compras de 1984-1990

  • DeWitt Businesses - história, anúncios e artigos escritos e compilados por Ken Coin

  • DeWitt Churches - uma página de recados com informações de nossos arquivos

  • DeWitt Directories and Maps - uma coleção de brochuras e mapas

  • Histórico DeWitt - inclui varreduras relacionadas à história de DeWitt

  • DeWitt History Newspaper Columns (1974-1976 e 1984-1997) por Faye Hanson e Ken Coin

  • DeWitt People - um álbum de recortes de jornais compilado por Ken Coin

  • DeWitt Places - informações e fotos do passado e do presente

  • DeWitt Public Schools - um álbum de recortes compilado por Ken Coin

  • DeWitt Ox Roast - uma coleção de programas e lembranças

  • Sesquicentenário de DeWitt - programas da celebração de 1983

  • Faye Hanson Scrapbook - sua página de recados de artigos de jornal que ela escreveu de 1964 a 1974

  • História de Gunnisonville - 1939 por Alta Gunnison Pierce

  • Coleção de fotografias de moedas de Kenneth R. - digitalizações de fotos e itens de arquivo selecionados

  • Organizações Sociais - um álbum de recortes de material de nossos arquivos compilado por Ken Coin

  • Álbum de recortes da Segunda Guerra Mundial - um álbum de recortes de jornais de homens e mulheres em serviço no condado de Clinton

Registros de nascimento, casamento, óbito e cemitério

  • Clinton County Marriage Records Links para registros de jornais e igrejas de Clinton County

  • Banco de dados pesquisável do Índice de Casamento de Michigan para Clinton County, compilado por Jack Dibean

  • A Biblioteca de Registros do Cemitério da Área DeWitt tem cópias em papel junto com as leituras dos Cemitérios de Mt. Rest e Oak Ridge.

  • Clinton County Clerk Registros de casamento e óbitos abertos ao público. Acesso limitado a registros de nascimento.

  • Mortes no condado de Clinton pela sociedade histórica do condado de Clinton

  • Clinton County Births to 1900 from Clinton County Historical Society

  • Arquivos da Sociedade Histórica do Condado de Clinton Excelente fonte de registros e informações

  • Michigan Death Records (GENDIS) Banco de dados online dos primeiros registros de óbitos de Michigan

  • Michiganology Certificados de óbito, registros de óbito e muito mais dos Arquivos de Michigan

  • Índice de Mortes da Previdência Social Banco de dados online de mortes nos EUA

  • Banco de dados do FamilySearch Online da Igreja SUD (Morman)

  • Michigan na Guerra Civil Inclui link para cemitérios de veteranos

Biográfico e Jornal

  • Colunas de jornais DeWitt por Ken Coin

  • DeWitt People - um álbum de recortes de jornais disponíveis na biblioteca

  • Entrevistas de gravações de áudio dos anos 1970-1980

  • Índice de histórias familiares para histórias disponíveis na biblioteca

  • Folhas de grupo familiar via Michigan GenWeb

  • Jornais - A Biblioteca do Distrito DeWitt possui microfilmes dos seguintes jornais locais:
    Revisão DeWitt-Bath (1980 até o presente). A biblioteca também guarda algumas cópias em papel.
    Anunciante Semanal DeWitt (1950-1969 alguns problemas ausentes)
    Clinton Republicano (1863-1924)
    Clinton Independent (1866-1906)
    St. Johns News (1892-1923)
    Clinton County Republican-News (1924-1950)
    Misc. Questões de Dewitt e Clinton County (microfilme e papel)

  • Álbum de recortes da segunda guerra mundial

Censo e registros militares

  • A Biblioteca DeWitt tem microfilmes do condado de Clinton para 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880, 1900, 1910 e o censo especial dos veteranos da Guerra Civil de 1890

  • Reformados da Guerra Civil do Condado de Clinton, 1883

  • Lista de 1894 dos veteranos da guerra civil do condado de Clinton

  • Veteranos de guerra hispano-americanos do condado de Clinton

Registros da Igreja e da Escola

  • A Biblioteca Distrital DeWitt tem os seguintes registros de igreja: Igreja Congregacional DeWitt (1840-1960) Igreja Batista DeWitt (fotocópias, 1840-1900) Igreja Metodista DeWitt (1860-1960)

  • Anuários escolares do condado de Clinton

  • Livros do ano escolar de Sheridan Road

  • A Biblioteca do distrito de Dewitt tem os seguintes registros escolares: DeWitt Public Schools (principalmente 1900-1950) DeWitt Schools Yearbook Collection Allen School (1930-1940) Brown School (1860-1950) Simmons 'School (alguns ensaios iniciais e listas de professores)

  • Página de genealogia de Bauerle

  • Genealogia de Gardner-Pierson

  • Fuchs, Fox, Blonigen, Droste, Fedewa, Feldpausch, Garding, Gross, Martin, Miller, Niehaus, Pung, Schaefer, Schneider, Simon, Spitzley e famílias relacionadas Email para pesquisas no extenso banco de dados de Jane sobre essas famílias

  • História da Família Swarthout Família Swarthout de Ovídio e Victor Twps.

  • Os sobrenomes da família Voisen-Stewart incluem Voisin, Yuncker, Pohl, Rademacher, Buechel, Schneider e Gross.

  • Heritage Quest Livros de texto completo e muito mais. GRATUITO com o cartão da biblioteca DeWitt ou carteira de motorista de Michigan

  • Os genealogistas dos arquivos do condado de Clinton estão no Valley Farms Community Center

  • Clinton County GenWeb

  • Ingham County GenWeb

  • Ionia County GenWeb

  • Paine-Gillam-Scott Museum St. Johns, Michigan

  • Shiawassee County Gen Web

  • História do Condado de Shiawassee por Steve Schmidt

  • Sociedade Genealógica de Mid-Michigan

  • A Sociedade de Genealogia do Condado de Shiawassee inclui um banco de dados de sobrenomes pesquisável

  • Desastre na escola de Bath - Bauerle

  • Desastre da Escola de Banho - Daggy Inclui o texto completo de "O Desastre da Escola de Banho" de Monty Ellsworth e mais.

  • Detalhes sobre DeWitt (2001)

  • Colunas de jornais DeWitt por Ken Coin

  • Biblioteca do distrito de Dewitt tem cópias de histórias locais, incluindo o História da área de DeWitt por Ken Coin

  • Programa DeWitt Follies de 1983

  • DeWitt Sesquicentennial Pow Wow (1983)

  • DeWitt Sesquicentennial Souvenir Book (1983)

  • História de Elsie Michigan

  • Álbum de história e biográfico dos condados de Shiawassee e Clinton (1880) Texto completo online

  • Passado e presente de ClintonCounty, Michigan pelo juiz S. B. Daboll (1906) Texto completo online

  • Álbum de retrato e biográfico dos condados de Clinton e Shiawassee (1891) Texto completo online

  • História dos condados de Shiawassee e Clinton (1880) Texto completo online

Empresas e organizações locais

  • A Biblioteca do distrito de DeWitt possui registros comerciais para: Woodruff Brothers Bank

  • A biblioteca do distrito de DeWitt tem registros de organização para: George Anderson Camp - Grande Exército da República DeWitt Women's Club DeWitt Civic Club DeWitt Mother's Club DeWitt Memorial Association DeWitt PTA DeWitt Royal Neighbours / Modern Woodmen (titulares de apólices de seguro)

  • Mapas de Clinton County 1864 da GenWeb

  • Atlas do Condado de Clinton, Michigan (1873) disponível online

  • Atlas padrão do condado de Clinton (1896) disponível online

  • Atlas padrão do condado de Clinton (1915) disponível online

  • Coleção de fotografias da área de Dewitt - Com bem mais de 1.000 imagens vintage, a coleção cada vez maior de fotografias da Biblioteca do distrito de Dewitt é talvez a melhor documentação dessa comunidade em rápida mudança. Fotocópias indexadas de quase todas as nossas fotografias estão disponíveis para exibição pública. Fotografias originais e negativos são armazenados em pastas livres de ácido codificadas e armazenados em caixas de arquivo. Eles estão disponíveis para uso por pesquisadores na sala de história local, mediante solicitação.

  • Coleção de negativos de Shafley - várias centenas de negativos, principalmente das décadas de 1930 e 1940. Algumas impressões estão disponíveis e mais de 100 foram digitalizadas e estão disponíveis em formato digital. Aqueles que não foram digitalizados são principalmente de familiares próximos ou fotos de fora da área de DeWitt, incluindo Upper Peninsula e Holland Tulip Festival.

  • DeWitt-Bath Review Photo Collection - Uma extensa coleção de fotos tiradas pelo jornal de pessoas, empresas e atividades escolares e comunitárias. A maioria é da década de 1990 ao início de 2000. Quase todas as pessoas que viviam na área de DeWitt naquela época estão nesta coleção. Alguns foram digitalizados e estão disponíveis em formato digital. Todos podem ser vistos mediante solicitação.

  • DeWitt A ssessor's Photos - Uma coleção de mais de 1000 fotos de todos os negócios e residências na cidade de DeWitt do final dos anos 1970 ao início dos anos 1980. A maioria são fotos em preto e branco de abril de 1978. Outras, de novas construções ou grandes mudanças após essa data, são coloridas. Organizado por rua e número. Alguns números de ruas mudaram desde a época da fotografia. Alguns edifícios estão faltando na coleção. Pode ser visto mediante solicitação. Cópias digitalizadas também podem ser solicitadas pelo e-mail [email protected]

  • Ralph L. Woodruff Scrapbook - Um álbum de fotos e lembranças de seu tempo em Michigan State de 1923-1927. Todas as fotos foram digitalizadas junto com algumas lembranças selecionadas. As fotos incluem a vida no campus, eventos esportivos, ROTC e amigos.

Links para sites de genealogia

  • Ancestry.com

  • Lista extensa lista de sites da Cyndi

  • Excelente site do FamilySearch com muitos dados grátis

  • FamilyTreeMaker

  • Gráficos de linhagem da coleção de genealogia da Biblioteca de Michigan, gráficos de grupo familiar e muito mais

  • Arquivos do estado de Michigan

  • Rede de História da Família de Michigan

  • National Archives and Records Administration: The Genealogia Página

  • Arquivos Nacionais do Canadá

  • Sociedade Genealógica Nacional

  • Roots Web

  • USGenWeb

Copyright 2010-2017 DeWitt District Library 13101 Schavey Rd DeWitt, Michigan 48820 517-669-3156
Site da TCP Image Company


Hora atual

Em um momento em que menos de 10% da população dos EUA vive em verdadeiras áreas rurais e em um momento em que muitos desses locais rurais em todo o nosso país estão diminuindo e desaparecendo, a cidade de DeWitt continua a adicionar residentes, negócios e oportunidades de emprego. Como resultado da cooperação da cidade e do distrito escolar, o trabalho árduo das autoridades eleitas e, mais importante, o compromisso e os esforços dos residentes e voluntários da comunidade, a comunidade foi capaz de construir excelentes instalações recreativas, culturais e educacionais, promover com sucesso a criação de novos empregos e realocação de grandes empregadores para a cidade, e criar espírito comunitário onde os residentes assumem a liderança para promover a melhoria do comunidade. Em segundo plano, a cidade fornece serviços públicos básicos de forma eficiente com um Corpo de Bombeiros voluntário bem treinado, um Departamento de Polícia credenciado pela CALEA, a biblioteca mais popular do Condado, um Departamento de Parques e Recreação que oferece um grande número de programas para crianças e adultos e mantém uma grande rede de parques e trilhas, e uma equipe de Obras Públicas que se orgulha de manter a infraestrutura pública. DeWitt certamente oferece uma comunidade limpa e segura, repleta de oportunidades para todas as idades.


De Witt Clinton

De Witt Clinton nasceu em 2 de março de 1769, em Napanock, Ulster County, NY. Ele foi educado na Kingston Academy e King & # 8217s College (agora Columbia University). Clinton estudou no escritório de advocacia do famoso advogado Samuel Jones, Sr., e tornou-se amigo de longa data de um colega e posteriormente Chanceler de Nova York, Samuel Jones Jr. Admitido na ordem em 1790, ele começou a exercer a profissão em New York. Cidade de York.

Em 1787 e 1788, De Witt Clinton escreveu artigos de jornal se opondo à ratificação da Constituição Federal e, em 1789, Clinton foi nomeado secretário particular do governador de Nova York, seu tio, George Clinton.

De Witt Clinton foi eleito para a Assembleia de Nova York em 1797 e para o Senado de Nova York em 1798. Ele se tornou membro do Conselho de Nomeação em 1801 e foi escolhido para preencher uma vaga no Senado dos EUA em 1802. Lá , ele defendeu a 12ª Emenda à Constituição. Em 1803, Clinton tornou-se prefeito da cidade de Nova York, servindo até 1815 com exceção de dois mandatos anuais. No Tribunal do Prefeito & # 8217, ele presidiu dois casos históricos, o Caso Cordwainers da Cidade de Nova York (1810) e Pessoas x Philips (1813). Cordwainers é um caso de direito trabalhista em que um grupo de sapateiros exigindo salários mais altos por trabalho por peça foi considerado culpado de conspiração pela lei consuetudinária. O caso Philips é o caso americano mais antigo conhecido sobre liberdade de religião e o privilégio probatório sacerdote-penitente na lei americana. Foi a partir deste caso que o juiz William Van Ness traçou uma distinção em sua decisão em Pessoas v. Christian Smith.

Clinton era um homem de grande intelecto e talentoso nas belas-letras e na ciência. Publicou muitos artigos que foram bem recebidos e foi homenageado por ser membro de instituições doutas dos Estados Unidos, Grã-Bretanha e vários países da Europa continental. Em 1812, ele foi homenageado pelo Queens College (agora Rutgers) com um grau honorário de Doutor em Direito e em 1824, ele foi homenageado da mesma forma pelos curadores de sua alma mater, o Columbia College.

Clinton serviu como senador do estado de Nova York de 1806 a 1811 e como vice-governador de 1811 a 1813. Um forte defensor de um canal estadual entre o rio Hudson e o lago Erie, De Witt Clinton tornou-se um dos comissários do canal em 1810 e, em 1816, o Legislativo de Nova York adotou o plano de canal de Clinton & # 8217. No ano seguinte, Clinton foi eleito governador de Nova York e reeleito em 1820. Ele não concorreu em 1822 devido a disputas partidárias internas, mas foi novamente eleito governador em 1824, dando-lhe o prazer de presidir a celebração de 1825 de a abertura dos canais Champlain e Erie. Novamente reeleito governador em 1826, ele morreu no cargo em 11 de fevereiro de 1828.


História em DeWitt

DeWitt, Iowa, foi fundada em 1836 por colonos dos estados do leste. DeWitt foi nomeado após DeWitt Clinton, o governador de Nova York de 1817-1822. Em 1840, um segundo tribunal foi construído em DeWitt para o condado de Clinton. DeWitt foi a sede do condado de 1841 a 1869. Em 1856, a ferrovia Chicago, Iowa e Nebraska (agora conhecida como Union Pacific) veio para DeWitt. Na década de 1870, DeWitt era uma comunidade próspera e autossustentável, com vários hotéis, mercados e uma variedade de lojas e serviços. DeWitt teve alguns primeiro para o estado de Iowa. O primeiro time de beisebol, o Hawks, foi organizado em DeWitt em 1860. A primeira Spear Water Tower foi construída em 1957. Outros fatos históricos interessantes sobre DeWitt incluem: A primeira escola foi construída em 1867 e custou $ 25.000 para ser construída. O Operahouse Theatre foi construído em 1878. O DeWitt Fire Department foi organizado em 1879. Em 1881, a County Fair começou como um evento anual. Em 1952, o hospital em DeWitt foi inaugurado. O passado de DeWitt ajudou a formar uma comunidade progressista que se move para o futuro.

Crescimento atual

Em um momento em que menos de 10 por cento da população dos EUA vive em verdadeiras áreas rurais e quando muitos desses locais rurais em todo o nosso país estão diminuindo e desaparecendo, DeWitt continua a adicionar residentes, negócios e oportunidades de emprego. Como resultado da cooperação e do trabalho árduo da cidade, do distrito escolar, das autoridades eleitas e, o mais importante, do compromisso e esforços dos residentes, empresas e voluntários da comunidade, a comunidade conseguiu construir excelentes instalações recreativas, culturais e educacionais , promover com sucesso a criação de novos empregos e realocação de grandes empregadores para a cidade e criar espírito de comunidade onde os residentes assumem a liderança para promover a melhoria da comunidade.

No fundo, a cidade fornece serviços públicos de alto nível com eficiência, com um corpo de bombeiros voluntário bem treinado, um departamento de polícia credenciado pelo CALEA, a biblioteca mais usada no condado, um departamento de parques e recreação que oferece extensos programas para jovens e adultos e uma equipe de obras públicas que se orgulha de manter a infraestrutura pública. A DeWitt oferece uma comunidade limpa e segura, com oportunidades para todas as idades.


História da DeWitt Clinton House

Mansão Clinton por volta de 1900

O marcador histórico da DeWitt Clinton House, localizado no triângulo do parklet na Maspeth Avenue e 56th Terrace em Maspeth, é um reconhecimento bem-vindo (e uma substituição da placa anterior há muito desaparecida no mesmo local) de DeWitt Clinton e do local do primeiro casa a várias centenas de metros ao norte, que ele possuiu de 1807 até sua morte prematura em 1828. O local, e as muitas pessoas importantes associadas a ele, bem como DeWitt Clinton como indivíduo, contribuíram muito para a história de Maspeth, Condado de Queens , Nova York, Estado de Nova York e Estados Unidos da América, bem como ramificações internacionais em termos de história, economia, comércio, desenvolvimento e crescimento, entre outras tendências significativas.

Joseph Sackett Estate 1724-1755

O local referido pelo Marcador Histórico era uma pequena colina, desde então nivelada, várias centenas de metros ao norte, perto de um braço de Newtown Creek conhecido como English Kills. Em 1724, o juiz Joseph Sackett construiu um substancial banco rural & # 8220 & # 8221 descrito como uma & # 8220 casa de dois andares e quatro chaminés & # 8230 em um terreno pitoresco perto do cais da cidade de Maspeth. & # 8221
A família Sackett havia se estabelecido anteriormente em uma grande extensão de terra em Maspeth em 1656, adjacente e incluindo as terras baixas do English Kills.

O juiz Sackett, que fez parte do Tribunal de Apelações Comuns, também foi um empresário de sucesso que acumulou uma área significativa em New Jersey e em outros lugares em New Windsor, NY - coincidentemente o local de nascimento de DeWitt Clinton - ele controlava a parte central da patente de Chambers-Southerland bem como mais de 8.000 acres na cidade vizinha de Blooming Grove. Em New Windsor, ele também iniciou o primeiro serviço de balsa para Fishkill (agora Beacon), NY, no lado leste do rio Hudson.

Walter Franklin Estate 1755-1780

Após sua morte em 1755, a propriedade em Maspeth, que incluía o local da mansão, foi vendida a Walter Franklin, um rico comerciante importador de Nova York. Franklin Square, anteriormente no cruzamento das ruas Pearl e Cherry (agora a rampa de Manhattan para a ponte do Brooklyn), era onde Franklin mantinha sua mansão na cidade e os jardins da mansão, construída em 1770 e mais tarde conhecida como Samuel Osgood House, era usado pelo presidente George Washington como sua residência durante o primeiro ano de sua presidência.

Durante a Guerra Revolucionária, a mansão em Maspeth foi usada como quartel-general do general britânico Joseph Warren, que usou sua localização adjacente a Newtown Creek para iniciar sua invasão de Manhattan em 1776.

Propriedade de Isaac Corsa 1780-1807

Após a morte de Franklin em 1780, sua mansão em Maspeth foi ocupada por sua irmã e seu marido, o coronel Isaac Corsa. Corsa era um veterano da Guerra da França e da Índia e também um comerciante de sucesso que havia entrado em conflito com George Washington no início da Guerra Revolucionária e foi preso por um tempo por ser simpatizante dos Conservadores.

Propriedade de DeWitt Clinton 1807-1828

Quando ele morreu, a propriedade passou para a filha e o genro de Walter Franklin, DeWitt Clinton. Durante seu mandato como proprietário - de 1807 até sua morte em 1828 - Clinton usou-o como um retiro no campo. Foi aqui que seu plano foi formulado para a criação do Canal Erie, que se dizia ter sido inspirado pelos riachos lentos, rasos e navegáveis ​​adjacentes a sua propriedade que desaguavam em um dos grandes centros de atividade econômica da época, o East River. De fato, de acordo com relatos da época, Clinton ficou intrigado com a ideia de criar um canal de Flushing Bay em Queens a Wallabout Bay em Brooklyn que contornasse o que era, no início do século 19, o quase intransponível Hell Gate na confluência dos rios Leste e Harlem. Claramente, um canal teórico construído de Flushing Bay através do Queens provavelmente seria conectado a Newtown Creek, que deságua um quilômetro ao norte de Wallabout Bay no East River.

Figura lendária, DeWitt Clinton foi, sem surpresa, o proprietário mais famoso da propriedade. Como funcionário público - Membro da Assembleia do Estado de Nova York (eleito em 1798) Senador do Estado de Nova York (servido de 1798–1802 e 1806–1807) Senador dos Estados Unidos (1802–1803) Prefeito da cidade de Nova York (1803–1807, 1808–1810 , 1811-1815) Tenente Governador (1811-1813) Candidato presidencial do Partido Federalista (1812) e Governador de Nova York (1817-1822, 1825-1828) - ele era uma das pessoas mais conhecidas em Nova York Estado e, após sua candidatura à presidência em 1812, os Estados Unidos.

Fora da política eleitoral, sua marca na criação do Canal Erie teve implicações enormes para a cidade de Nova York, o estado de Nova York e os Estados Unidos. A & # 8220superhighway & # 8221 de seu tempo e inicialmente ridicularizada como & # 8220Clinton & # 39s Folly & # 8221 e & # 8220DeWitt & # 39s Ditch & # 8221 o Canal Erie transformou o comércio e o transporte e gerou uma enorme riqueza e crescimento econômico, especialmente em New Iorque. Historiador e naturalista com grande interesse pela educação, DeWitt Clinton também foi fundamental na organização da Sociedade Histórica de Nova York em 1804 e mais tarde foi seu presidente (1813-1817) foi regente da Universidade do Estado de Nova York ( 1808–1825) membro da American Antiquarian Society e mais tarde seu vice-presidente (1821-1828) e foi eleito para a Academia Americana de Artes e Ciências em 1816.

Propriedade de David S. Jones 1828-1848

Após sua morte, o genro de Clinton, David S. Jones - um juiz do condado de Queens e, a certa altura, advogado da New York City Corporation, assumiu a propriedade da propriedade de Maspeth. Jones era filho de Samuel Jones, considerado por muitos como o criador do moderno sistema jurídico e judicial no estado de Nova York e conhecido como & # 8220 Pai da Ordem dos Advogados de Nova York. & # 8221 Enquanto David Jones continuava a manter a propriedade de Maspeth, depois de se aposentar, ele construiu uma mansão impressionante em Massapequa que chamou de Massapequa Manor em uma área significativa ao norte de Merrick Boulevard. Ele também criou o lago Massapequa, agora parte da reserva de Massapequa e da trilha Nassau-Suffolk Greenbelt, represando Massapequa Creek, movendo a terra e criando uma ilha artificial com o nome de sua esposa, Mary Clinton.

Após a conclusão da Mansão Massapequa, Jones estava em uma situação financeira tão difícil que teve que vender a propriedade e sair da aposentadoria. Ele se acomodou na propriedade em Maspeth pelo resto de sua vida. Ele foi o fundador original da Igreja de São Salvador, localizada a uma curta caminhada de sua propriedade.

Propriedade de Edward Godfrey 1848-1870

Após sua morte em 1848, os herdeiros de Jones & # 39 venderam a propriedade de Maspeth para Edward Godfrey, um comerciante de couro que fundou a E. Godfrey & # 038 Sons (localizada, coincidentemente, na Pearl Street adjacente à Franklin Square, que naquela época era o centro de negócio de curtume na cidade de Nova York). Godfrey comprou a propriedade de Maspeth na época em que chegou à cidade de Nova York vindo de West Point.

Um comerciante de couro de sucesso - por quase três décadas sua empresa foi a maior fabricante de artigos de couro em Nova York - Godfrey manteve as características históricas da propriedade durante sua propriedade.

Generations festejou no & # 8220Clinton Hall & # 8221

Com sua morte em 1864, seus filhos colocaram a propriedade à venda. Em 1870, foi comprado por um leiteiro local chamado Philip Grussy, que transformou a propriedade em um jardim de cerveja e salão de diversões. Chamado de Grussy’s Clinton Park, permaneceu em operação por décadas. No entanto, sob sua propriedade, a casa começou a declinar na década de 1880, um dos filhos de Clinton, que nasceu lá, tentou visitar a casa, mas não conseguiu entrar até que sua identidade fosse estabelecida. Na década de 1890, o edifício foi subdividido em pelo menos quatro apartamentos e foi usado como cortiço e, na virada do século 20, as notícias descreviam a antiga casa de campo como estando & # 8220 grandemente dilapidada & # 8221 e & # 8220 praticamente permitida entrar em ruína & # 8221 por seus proprietários. Nessa época, essa parte de Maspeth estava começando a se industrializar.

Embora apelos intermitentes tenham sido feitos para preservar e proteger a casa nas décadas seguintes, nenhuma ajuda para salvar a casa se materializou. O último desenvolvimento relacionado com a propriedade e seu famoso ex-proprietário foi Clinton Hall (o prédio ainda existe), um salão de diversões que, após sua reforma e expansão em 1927, foi descrito como & # 8220 o maior salão de dança de Long Island & # 8221 com & # 8220 salões de bola e pistas de boliche, quadras de basquete e uma sala de bilhar & # 8230 o lustre do salão de baile pesava duas toneladas e tinha duas mil luzes. & # 8221 Nessa época, a própria casa havia caído em ruínas devido ao vandalismo e em 1933 foi destruída por um incêndio.

Embora não haja vestígios da propriedade e mansão que outrora agraciaram esta parte de Maspeth e a área seria irreconhecível para as gerações anteriores, é exatamente por essa razão que esta réplica do Marcador Histórico está sendo colocada de volta no local do original. Não há dúvida de que, após a recente temporada de bicentenário do estabelecimento do Canal Erie, o local que se tornou a casa de campo de DeWitt Clinton deve ser lembrado e redescoberto pelo público.

Paul Graziano é consultor de planejamento urbano e preservador histórico # 038.


Locomotiva "DeWitt Clinton"

Uma das primeiras locomotivas a vapor a ser usada nos Estados Unidos foi a DeWitt Clinton, um modelo 0-4-0 construído nos Estados Unidos.

É historicamente reconhecida não apenas como uma das primeiras a operar no país, mas também a primeira a oferecer serviço regular de passageiros em Nova York ao longo da ferrovia Mohawk & Hudson.

A locomotiva recebeu o nome de um ex-governador de estado, que ironicamente defendeu a construção do Canal Erie (um lento, mas ainda assim, concorrente da ferrovia) alguns anos antes entre Buffalo e a cidade de Nova York, que seria o futuro do transporte . & # xa0

O & # xa0Clinton was built with a now-classic design for a steam locomotive and even operated with a matching set of early passenger cars.

Unfortunately, as was so often the case in those days no one thought to retain it for its historical significance and it was scrapped within a few years. Today, a replica is now available to the public preserved at the Henry Ford Museum.

The "DeWitt Clinton" at the 1933 Chicago World's Fair (also known as "A Century of Progress International Exposition").

The Mohawk & Hudson was New York's first chartered railroad, and upon its creation the M&H was the second such system ever incorporated behind only the private Granite Railway of Massachusetts, formed a month earlier in March to move stone from a small granite quarry.

The railroad received its name for the two tributaries that it hoped to connect the Hudson River at Albany and the Mohawk River at Schenectady. Due to funding issues, however, it took more than four years until construction actually began.

During this time a number of lines would be chartered and operated before the M&H including the B&O and South Carolina Canal & Rail Road based in the port city of Charleston. The line was meant to compete against the recently completed Erie Canal although its original intention was only to haul passengers, not freight.

Other Notable Early Locomotives

Another scene of the "DeWitt Clinton" on display at the Chicago Fair of 1933.

The railroad opened to much fanfare on August 9, 1831 when the DeWitt Clinton pulled the first regularly scheduled passenger train from Albany to Schenectady.

Interestingly, crowds were eager to ride this little 0-4-0 locomotive although tickets were so expensive only the rich were able to afford a the trip on such a futuristic piece of technology.

This was quite the contrary on the nearby Delaware & Hudson Canal Company when it had tested its English-built Stourbridge Lion two years earlier on August 8, 1829.

The locomotive was the first ever operated in the U.S. and it grabbed the intention of a large crowd as well, although many thought it would be a complete disaster (as a result, no one would ride behind it!).

That locomotive operated flawlessly and by 1831 steam technology had been proven to the point that most had a very different opinion, believing that railroads were the future in transportation.

In this scene the "DeWitt Clinton" replica is on display at the 1921 New York State Fair. Note the sign, "The New York Central's First Train."

Most of the early steamers built in America were either constructed by the West Point Foundry in Cold Spring, New York (near NYC) or reassembled there after having been shipped across the Atlantic Ocean from England.

o DeWitt Clinton was no different. It was the third U.S.-built locomotive in the country behind only Peter Cooper's Tom Thumb (which was not built at West Point) and the SCC&RR's Best Friend of Charleston.

The steamer had been ordered by the Mohawk & Hudson's then chief engineer, John B. Jervis, who was already very familiar with the new machines.

Prior to coming over to the M&H in 1831 he had worked for the D&H and sent his apprentice, Horatio Allen, to learn more about steam locomotives to ultimately decide if it was worth purchasing one or more for use on the railroad. This led to the D&H acquiring the Stourbridge Lion and three others.

Additionally, it used a somewhat matching set of early passenger cars, which were basically customized horse carriages patrons riding aboard would either be seated inside the cars or on rumble seats placed on the roofs.

The trip transpired without incident and the DeWitt Clinton remained in use on the M&H for only a few years before being scrapped by the railroad in 1833. However, a complete replica, including cars, was built by successor New York Central for the 1893 Columbian Exposition in Chicago which was entirely operational.

It was used by the railroad for on-an-off again promotional purposes until being purchased in 1934 by Henry Ford for his famed museum in Dearborn, Michigan, where it still resides to this day next to the behemoth Chesapeake & Ohio Class H-8 2-6-6-6 "Allegheny".


Hudson-Mohawk Genealogical and Family Memoirs:De Witt

[This information is from Vol. I, pp. 362-367 of Hudson-Mohawk Genealogical and Family Memoirs , edited by Cuyler Reynolds (New York: Lewis Historical Publishing Company, 1911). It is in the Reference collection of the Schenectady County Public Library at R 929.1 R45. Some of the formatting of the original, especially in lists of descendants, may have been altered slightly for ease of reading.]

The ancestor of the De Witt family in America was Tjerck Claessen De Witt, of whom the first mention made is to be found in the "Trouw Boeck," or register of marriages of the Reformed or Collegiate Dutch church of New York City. There it is recorded that on April 24, 1656, "Tjerck Claessen De Witt van Grootholdt en Zunderlandt" (Westphalia) married "Barbara Andriessen van Amsterdam." He was the son of Nicholas De Witt, of Holland, one of the members of a most influential family. It is not known whether other of his relatives actually came over from Holland at the same time that he did but it is thought probable, as he had a sister, Emmerentje, who married Martinus Hoffman in 1662, at New Amsterdam, and his brother, Jan Claessen De Witt, died, unmarried, at Kingston, New York, in 1699.

Tjerck C. De Witt resided in New York for a short time following his marriage in 1656, where his first child was born but removed in the spring of the following year to Albany, where he purchased a house and lot. He exchanged this in September, 1660, with Madame de Hutter, for land in Wiltwyck (Kingston), Ulster county, New York, with "possession to be given May 1, 1661." Here he lived until his death, and for two centuries and a half the place remained in the family. He was undoubtedly a man of means, as is shown by the fact that in 1661 he was taxed one hundred and twenty-five guilders (equal to about $50) to help pay for a new church building in Esopus, and in 1662 he owned No. 28 of the "New Lots." His eldest daughter, Taatje, was carried away from him by the Indians, June 7, 1663, during the destruction of Kingston and Hurley, but was rescued. Governor Lovelace deeded to him "a parcel of bush-land, together with a house, lot, orchard, and calves' pasture, lying near Kingston, in Esopus," on June 25, 1672, and Governor Andros, October 8, 1677, deeded to him about fifty acres of woodland west of the town. He was, on February 11, 1679, one of the signers of a renewal of the Nichols treaty with the Esopus Indians. He joined with others, in 1684, petitioning Governor Thomas Dongan that there might he "liberty by charter to this county (Ulster) to choose our owne officers to every towne court by the major vote of the freeholders." The petition greatly offended the authorities, so that the signers were arrested and fined for this display of a desire for free or local self-government. The trustees of Kingston conveyed to him one hundred and eighty-nine acres of land, February 13, 1685, and June 6, 1685, he claimed two hundred and ninety acres lying upon the north side of Rondout Kill, known as Momboccus, which was granted to him by patent May 14, 1694. He was elected a magistrate of Ulster county, March 4, 1689. He died at Kingston, New York, February 17, 1700. By his will, dated March 4, 1698, he left his property to his wife for life, and directed that after her death it be divided between his oldest and youngest sons, in trust, and by them divided into twelve equal shares, to be given to each of his children or their heirs but to Lucas he devised the one-half of a sloop he had built the year before, and his widow was named executrix.

Tjerck Claessen De Witt married, at New Amsterdam, April 24, 1656, Barbara Andriessen, who died July 6, 1714. Children:

  1. Andries, born in New York City (New Amsterdam) in the early part of 1657 (see forward).
  2. Taatje, born at Albany, New York, about 1659, died previous to 1724 was carried off by Esopus Indians at the burning of Kingston in 1663 but was rescued married, 1677, Matthys Matthyssen Van Keuren, son, of Matthys Jansen and Margaret (Hendrickse) Van Keuren, who in 1685 was commissioned captain and served against the French on the northern frontier.
  3. Jannetje, baptized February 12, 1662, died in 1744 married Cornelis Swits, born 1651, died 1730, son of Cornelis Claessen and Ariantje (Trommels) Swits.
  4. Klaes, baptized February 17, 1664, died previous to 1698.
  5. Jan, baptized February 14, 1666, died previous to probating of will, April 12, 1715 married Wyntje, daughter of Dr. Roeloff and Ikee (Aaghe) (Roosa) Kiersted.
  6. Geertruy, baptized October 15, 1668 married, March 24, 1688, Hendrick Hendricksen Schoonmaker, baptized May 17, 1665, son of Hendrick Jochemsen and Elsie (Janse) Schoonmaker.
  7. Jacob, married Grietje, daughter of Cornelis C. and Annatje (Cornelissen) Vernooy, and lived at Rochester, Ulster county, New York, where he was one of the trustees of the place.
  8. Rachel, married Cornelis Bogardus, died October 13, 1707, son of Cornelis and Helena (Teller) Bogardus.
  9. Lucas, married, December 22, 1695, Annatje, daughter of Anthony and Jannetje (Hillebrants) Delva was commander and joint owner with his father of the sloop, "St. Barbara," and died in 1703.
  10. Peek, married (first), at Albany, January 2, 1698, Marytje Janse Vanderberg married (second), December 21, 1723, Maria Teunis he was first a resident of New York, subsequently buying land in Dutchess county, September 6, 1698, and in 1715 removed to Ulster county.
  11. Tjerck.
  12. Marritje, married (first), November 3, 1700, Hendrick Hendricksen Kortreght, son of Hendrick Jansen and Catharine Hansen (Weber) Kortreght married (second), September 6, 1702, Jan Macklin.
  13. Aagje, baptized January 14, 1684 married, August 23, 1712, Jan Pawling, son of Henry and Neeltje (Roosa) Pawling.

(II) Andries, son of Tjerck Claessen and Barbara (Andriessen) De Witt, was born in New Amsterdam (New York City), between 1657 and 1660, and died at Kingston, New York, July 22, 1710. For some years he lived at Marbletown, Ulster county, New York, on a farm given to him by his father but removed to Kingston previous to 1708. His death is recorded in the family records in this wise: "Captain Andries De Witt departed this life in a sorrowful way through the breaking of two sleepers (beams) he was pressed down and very much bruised he spoke a few words and died." He was buried in the church-yard at Kingston. He married, March 7, 1682, Jannetje Egbertsen. She was baptized in New Amsterdam, January 11, 1664, died November 23, 1733, and was the daughter of Egbert Meindertse and Jaepe (Jans) Egbertsen. Crianças:

  1. Tjerck, baptized January 12, 1683 died at Kingston, August 30, 1762 married (first), January 18, 1708, Anne Pawling, baptized June 19, 1687, daughter of Henry and Neeltje (Roosa) Pawling married (second), October 17, 1739, Deborah, baptized September 14, 1684, daughter of Egbert Hendricksen and Annatje (Berry) Schoonmaker, widow successively of Jacob Vernooy and Hendrick Vroom.
  2. Jacob, baptized September 28, 1684, died young.
  3. Barbara, baptized August 22, 1686, died young.
  4. Klaes, baptized April 30, 1688, died young.
  5. Barbara (2d), born October 30, 1689 married, March 25, 1715, Johannes Van Leuven died November 1, 1715.
  6. Jacob, born December 30, 1691 married, May 9, 1731, Hevltje Van Kampen, baptized October 6, 1700, daughter of Jan and Tietje Janse (Decker) Van Kampen.
  7. Maria, born January 21, 1693 married, October 30, 1713, Jan Roosa, Jr., baptized November 6, 1692, son of Jan and Hillegond (Van Buren) Roosa.
  8. Helena, born December 7, 1695 married, June 6, 1719, Jacob Swits, baptized at Albany, June 26, 1695, son of Isaac and Susanna (Groot) Swits.
  9. Andries, born April 1, 1697, died July 2, 1701.
  10. Egbert, born March 18, 1699, see forward.
  11. Johannes, born March 26, 1701 married, June 27, 1724, Mary Brodhead, baptized August 6, 1699, daughter of Charles and Maria (Ten Broeck) Brodhead.
  12. Andries, baptized February 20, 1704, died at Rochester, Ulster county, New York, in 1764 married, December 3, 1731, Bredjen Nottingham, baptized December 23, 1711, daughter of William and Margaret (Rutsen) Nottingham.

(III) Egbert, son of Andries and Jannetje (Egbertsen) De Witt, was born March 18, 1699. He settled at Napahanoch, in the town of Warwarsing, Ulster county, New York. He married, November 4, 1726, Mary Nottingham, born May 19, 1704, daughter of William and Margaret (Rutsen) Nottingham. Crianças:

  1. Andries, baptized October 15, 1727, see forward.
  2. Jacob Rutsen, baptized April 13, 1729 married, April 15, 1756, Jenneke, daughter of Moses and Margaret (Schoonmaker) Depuy purchased land on the Navesink river, and was a captain of a militia company during the revolution.
  3. William, born in 1731 married, May 30, 1762, Susanna Chambers.
  4. John E., baptized September 19, 1733 married, October 26, 1765, Catherine Newkirk, baptized February 26, 1738, daughter of Cornelius, Jr., and Neeltje (Du Bois) Newkirk.
  5. Stephen, baptized December 14, 1735 married, December 8, 1770, Wyntje, baptized February 23, 1746, died July 7, 1830, daughter of John and Venni (Nottingham) Brodhead.
  6. Mary, born September 5, 1737, died September 12, 1795 married, February 18, 1765, General James Clinton, born August 9, 1736, died December 22, 1812, son of Charles and Elizabeth (Denniston) Clinton, and had son, DeWitt Clinton, governor of New York state.
  7. Egbert, baptized April 1, 1739.
  8. Thomas, born May 3, 1741, died at Kingston, New York, September 7, 1809 married, February 28, 1782, Elsie, born March 20, 1750, died June 28, 1832, daughter of Jacob and Maria (Hoornbeck) Hasbrouck during the revolution commissioned as captain in the Third New York Regiment was promoted to be major assisted in the defence of Fort Stanwix (Rome, New York) when besieged by Colonel St. Leger, in August, 1777, and accompanied General Sullivan's successful expedition against the Indians.
  9. Benjamin, baptized January 19, 1743.
  10. Reuben, baptized October 20, 1745 married, November 11, 1772, Elizabeth, baptized May 20, 1753, daughter of Moses and Elizabeth (Clearwater) Depuy.

(IV) Andries (2), son of Egbert and Mary (Nottingham) De Witt, was baptized October 15, 1727, died at New Paltz, New York, September 30, 1799. He was a physician of excellent standing in his profession, and practiced in his native country for more than half a century. He married, April 24, 1748, Jannetje Vernooy, baptized March 3, 1728, died February 7, 1795, daughter of Johannes and Jenneke (Louw) Vernooy. Crianças:

  1. Anna, born April 6, 1749, baptized May 23, 1749, died January 20, 1819 married, April 5, 1778, Hugo Freer, of New Paltz, New York, born July 26, 1749, died October 13, 1808, son of Gerrit and Maria Freer.
  2. Egbert, born October 1, 1750, died March 25, 1816 married Elizabeth Smith, baptized December 18, 1755, daughter of Hendrick and Sarah (Keator) Smith.
  3. Maria, born April 24, 1752.
  4. John A., baptized November 15, 1753, died October 4, 1818 married, April 19, 1776, Rachel Bevier.
  5. Cornelis, baptized July 21, 1755.
  6. Simeon, born December 26, 1756, died December 3, 1834 married (first), October 12, 1789, Elizabeth Lynott, born January 3, 1767, died December 13, 1793 married (second), Janneke (Varick) Hardenberg, born May 18, 1760, died April 10, 1808, daughter of John and Jane (Dey) Varick, and widow of Abraham Hardenberg married (third), October 29, 1810, Susan Linn, born October 30, 1778, died May 5, 1824, daughter of Rev. William and Rebecca (Blair) Linn.
  7. William, born December 17, 1758.
  8. Janneke, born 1760 married John C. Hardenberg, of Hurley, Ulster county, New York, baptized February 22, 1756, died 1833, son of Charles and Catherine (Smedes) Hardenberg.
  9. Catherine, baptized September 20, 1762, died August 24, 1850 married Nathaniel Bevier, baptized April 17, 1756, son of Johannes and Magdalena (Lefever) Bevier.
  10. Andries A., baptized January 20, 1766, died March 10, 1851.
  11. Sarah, baptized February 2, 1767.
  12. Elizabeth, born June 24, 1769 married, December 22, 1801, Henry Guest.
  13. Levi, born October 7, 1771. 14. Benjamin, born December 26, 1775, died, New York City, September 10, 1819 married, September 27, 1800, Eve, born, Albany, March 27, 1777, died May 21, 1832, daughter of James and Lydia (Van Valkenburg) Bloodgood.

(V) General Simeon, son of Dr. Andries (2) and Jannetje (Vernooy) De Witt, was born at Warwarsing, Ulster county, New York, December 26, 1756, died at Ithaca, New York, December 3, 1834. The baptismal record shows that he was baptized on the day following his birth, into the faith of the Reformed Protestant Dutch church. Young De Witt, after receiving such an English education as a scattered agricultural population afforded, was placed for classical instruction with Rev. Dr. Romeyn, of Schenectady, an intimate friend of his father. He was thus prepared for college, and was sent to Queen's (afterwards Rutgers) College, under Rev. Dr. Hardenbergh, graduating in 1776, the only one in the class. It was impossible to follow the course in quietude, for those were stirring times of revolutionary conflict. The battle of Long Island was followed by the evacuation of New York City, and the American forces were not permitted to retreat across the Hudson river unmolested, for General Howe pursued them to New Brunswick, burned Princeton, and then marched on to Trenton. De Witt continued his studies at home, passing much time in the family of his uncle, General James Clinton, of the revolutionary army, and the father of De Witt Clinton, afterwards governor of New York, with whom he was a great favorite. This intimacy kindled a patriotism which resulted in De Witt's achieving prominence throughout his long career.

The news of General Burgoyne's contemplated excursion by way of Canada into the United States aroused both old and young. A battalion was organized in Ulster county under General Gates, to join the American army, and with this De Witt marched as a volunteer adjutant. On arriving at the seat of war, the men were incorporated into a regiment already existing and being thus deprived of his temporary command, he fell into the ranks as a private, and in this capacity was present at the battles which decided the fate of Burgoyne, as well as being present at the surrender of the British following the battle of Bemis' Heights, October, 1777. The service being ended for which he and his companions had volunteered, he returned to his father's house, where he pursued his mathematical studies in connection with the practical business of surveying. Not many months had elapsed before General Washington, in a letter to General James Clinton, inquired whether he knew of any person who was qualified to act as geographer in other words, to be a topographical engineer for the army. De Witt was immediately recommended, and was appointed in 1778 to be assistant to Colonel Robert Erskine, then geographer-in-chief. He performed his duties so admirably that when his superior died in 1780, De Witt was appointed head of the department, which commission was signed September 8, 1780, by Thomas McKean, president of congress, and took effect on December 4. He was ordered, December 16, 1780, by General Washington to go to headquarters at New Windsor, and continued attached to the main army until the end of the campaign. He was constantly employed in the survey along the route of the army to Yorktown, and was present both at its siege and surrender, thus having witnessed the two important surrenders, of Burgoyne and Cornwallis. The maps made by him were tendered to Washington with the suggestion that if printed by the government they would be of great value to the public but although Washington advocated De Witt's idea, congress deemed the country too low in funds to attempt the undertaking. He was appointed surveyor-general on May 13, 1784, and he held the position for more than fifty years. He established, with James Clinton, the boundary between New York and Pennsylvania, completing the survey in the years 1786-87, in satisfactory manner. In 1786 the state legislature had requested him to prepare a map of New York, which he finished and published in 1802, being a most creditable effort on his part, and an index at this day of what the state was at that time.

In 1796 General Washington, without General De Witt's knowledge or solicitation, nominated him to the senate of the United States as surveyor-general, and the appointment was cordially ratified, but he was obliged from force of circumstances to decline. The following is the official record:

General De Witt considered this as the most gratifying event in his whole career, especially as he had gained, as shown by numerous private letters, the fullest confidence and friendship of George Washington. In 1798 he was elected a regent of the University, to succeed Hon. Lewis Morris, deceased, which office he held until his death, and for many years was senior member of the board. In 1817 he was elected vice-chancellor, and in 1829, chancellor of the University. He was a charter member of the Society of the Cincinnati, of which General Washington was president.

On the inception of the canal policy in New York, Mr. De Witt was officially directed to cause surveys to be made of all streams and rivers between the Hudson and Lake Erie, and for several years he was associated as one of the board of canal commissioners. He was a member of the American Philosophical Society, the oldest in the United States, joining in 1790, on the recommendation of Rittenhouse, to which he made one communication, published in the 6th volume, "Observations on the Eclipse of the Sun." He was president of the Lancaster school's board, Albany, and succeeded Chancellor Livingston as president of the Society for the Promotion of Agriculture, Arts and Manufactures, incorporated by him and others in 1793 in New York state, before which he read two scientific papers, "On a Plan for a Meteorological Chart," and "Establishment of a Meridian Line in the City of Albany." His writings on drawing and perspective were published in a volume entitled The Element of Perspective , 1813. In his annual address he introduced the novel idea of the rotation of crops. To the Transactions of the Albany Institute he contributed a table of variations of the magnetic needle observations on the function of the moon, deduced from the eclipse of 1806, and a description of a new form of rain gauge. In Silliman's Journal he discussed the theory of meteors, and altogether he was thoroughly conversant with many important fields of science, but particularly agriculture and meteorology, ever exhibiting a most cultured mind, and a desire to advance the people's interest.

General Simeon De Witt married (first), October 12, 1789, Elizabeth Lynott, born January 3, 1767, died December 13, 1793 married (second), Janneke (Jane) Varick Hardenberg, born May 18, 1760, died April 10, 1808, daughter of John and Jane (Dey) Varick, and widow of Abraham Hardenberg married (third), October 29, 1810, Susan Linn, born October 30, 1778, died May 5, 1824, daughter of Rev. William and Rebecca (Blair) Linn. The third wife of General De Witt, Susan (Linn) De Witt, wrote a novel, Justina , and also a poem entitled "The Pleasures of Religion."

General De Witt's second wife was a sister of Colonel Richard Varick, and with excellent reason the descendants are proud of the relationship. He was a noted revolutionary officer and recorder and mayor of New York. The latter office he occupied for twelve years, the longest term of service on record since the revolution. Colonel Varick was born of Dutch parentage, at Hackensack, New Jersey, in 1752, the common American ancestor of the family being Rev. Adolphus Van Vork, minister of the Reformed Dutch church at Jamaica, Long Island, who died in 1694. Colonel Varick was educated at King's, now Columbia, College, and embraced the profession of law. At the beginning of the revolution he tendered his services, and was appointed military secretary of General Philip Schuyler, then commanding the Army of the North. Congress appointed him deputy commissary-general in February, 1776, with the rank of lieutenant-colonel, and he was present as such at the memorable battles of Stillwater and Saratoga, fought in September and October, 1777. After the surrender of Burgoyne, he was stationed at West Point as inspector-general, and then became Washington's recording secretary until the close of the war. To him Washington wrote from Mount Vernon, January 1, 1784, a letter cherished by his relatives living at Albany, which, in part, is as follows: "I pray you will be persuaded that I shall take a pleasure in asserting on every occasion the sense I entertain of the fidelity, skill and indefatigable industry manifested by you in the performance of your public duties." In the possession of the Varick family is a small pair of silver spurs. As George, the young son of Governor Clinton, was one day riding down Broadway, in the city of New York, he was stopped by President Washington, who buckled these spurs on his boots with his own hands. Colonel Varick participated prominently in the formation of the Society of the Cincinnati, of which Washington was the first president, and he was elected president of the New York branch of that society, July 9, 1806. He served in the assembly in 1787-88, and in both years was chosen speaker. He was made attorney general, May 14, 1789, and was a reviser of the New York laws in 1778-89. The town of Varick was named in his honor, by act of legislature passed February 6, 1830. He died July 30, 1831.

Children of General Simeon and Jane (Varick) De Witt:

  1. Richard Varick, born February 6. 1800, see forward.
  2. George Washington, born February 17, 1801, died August 2, 1814.
  3. Susan Linn, born September 3, 1811 married, in 1835, Levi Hubbell.
  4. Cornelia Lansing, born September 10, 1813, died March 15, 1820.
  5. William Linn, born January 13, 1817, died at Ithaca, New York, October 12, 1903.
  6. Mary Linn, born February 23, 1819, died March 20, 1871.

(VI) Richard Varick, son of General Simeon and Jane (Varick) (Hardenbergh) De Witt, was born at Albany, New York, February 6, 1800, died at Albany, February 7, 1868. He inherited his father's scientific tastes, and was one of the founders of the old Albany Institute, as well as one of its first officers. Before that learned body he frequently displayed his scientific and literary attainments. He graduated at Union College, and after finishing his studies in the office of the late Harmanus Bleecker, afterwards United States Minister at The Hague, was called to the bar. He possessed a large property at Ithaca, New York, and while his natural tastes led him to literary pursuits, his prominent position forced him to a more active life. He established and maintained a line of steamboats on Cayuga lake, in their day considered models of speed and comfort. It was his pleasure to devote much spare time to architectural drawing he has left behind many drawings of buildings and paintings in both water color and oil of the early types of steamboats, notably that of Fulton's "Clermont." Through his exertions and means, the Ithaca & Oswego railroad was constructed, which was one of the earliest lines in New York state but unfortunately. in the financial disaster of 1837, he lost much of his property by the forced sale of this road. He was for many years both an elder and superintendent of the Sunday school of the Middle (or Second) Dutch Reformed Church of Albany. He was vice-president of the State Cincinnati Society, and during the absence of Governor Fish in Europe, acting president. His refinement was only one of his many charms, and throughout his whole life he maintained a spotless Christian character.

Richard Varick De Witt married, at Albany, New York, May 18, 1831, Sarah Walsh, born in Albany, December 20, 1805, died there May 5, 1842. Her father was Dudley Walsh, who married, September 24, 1793, Sarah, daughter of John and Magdalena (Douw) Stevenson. Dudley Walsh was born in Dublin, Ireland, 1756, died at Albany, May 24, 1816, and Sarah Stevenson, his wife, was born September 29, 1772, died at Albany, June 22, 1816. John Stevenson died April 24, 1810, and Magdalena Douw, his wife, died December 20, 1817. Children:

  1. Richard Varick, born at Albany, New York (as were all his brothers and sisters), August 30, 1832, see forward.
  2. Catherine Walsh, born November 26, 1833, died at Albany, January 8, 1907.
  3. Dudley Walsh, born October 31, 1835, died at Albany, June 20, 1904.
  4. Sarah Walsh, residing in Albany in 1910.
  5. Justina, born August 9, 1839, died May 8, 1840.
  6. Alice Justina, born February 22, 1841, died April 24, 1869 married, April 27, 1865, Augustus de Peyster, of Boston, Massachusetts.
  7. Infant, born April 13, 1842, died April 14, 1842.

(VII) Richard Varick (2), son of Richard Varick (1) and Sarah (Walsh) De Witt, was born in Albany, New York, August 30, 1832, died, after a brief illness at his home, No. 202 Lancaster street, Albany, August 21, 1901. He was educated at the Albany Academy, and after finishing his education, in 1849. entered the employ of the Albany Insurance Company. In 1854 he was employed in the New York State Bank, which position he held until 1868, when he again entered the insurance field. From 1872 to 1890 he was secretary of the Commerce Insurance Company, of Albany, and was secretary of the Albany Insurance Company from 1890 to 1896, when he resigned to engage in similar business for himself. He was appointed a member of the board of fire commissioners, September 8, 1887, and was for a long period the secretary of that board, serving with distinction until the board was legislated out of office in 1900. No man in Albany was more widely or more favorably known. His commercial career was most highly honorable, and he was noted for his geniality and humor. For seventeen years Mr. De Witt was a valued trustee of the Madison Avenue Dutch Reformed Church at one time a director of the Albany Exchange Savings Bank trustee of the Albany Medical College member of the standing committee of the Society of the Cincinnati of State of New York, and president of the Albany branch of the Fire Insurance Agents' Association of New York State, and was a charter member of the Albany Academy Alumni Association. In his younger days he was fond of athletic sports and participated in rowing and baseball contests. He was well known as a clever writer on miscellaneous and historical matters, contributing most entertaining articles to the local and metropolitan press. He was wise in counsel, of excellent judgment, and ever exerted himself for the welfare of others and for the benefit of the public good. When he died Mayor Blessing, of Albany, ordered the flags to be lowered upon the City Hall and on all houses of the fire department. He was buried in the family plat with his ancestors in the Albany Rural Cemetery. A handsome memorial was dedicated September 25, 1910, in the Madison Avenue Reformed (Dutch) Church, in his memory and that of his family, by his only surviving sister.

Go to top of page | previous family: Warren | next family: Hilton

http://www.schenectadyhistory.org/families/hmgfm/dewitt.html updated April 28, 2020

Copyright 2020 Schenectady Digital History Archive — a service of the Schenectady County Public Library


Clinton Genealogy (in De Witt County, IL)

NOTE: Additional records that apply to Clinton are also found through the De Witt County and Illinois pages.

Clinton Birth Records

Clinton Cemetery Records

Memorial Park Cemetery Billion Graves

Oak Park Cemetery Billion Graves

Woodlawn Cemetery Billion Graves

Clinton Census Records

Censo Federal dos Estados Unidos, Pesquisa Familiar 1790-1940

Clinton Church Records

Clinton City Directories

Clinton Death Records

DeWitt County Coroner's Inquest Files Index (1924-1977) Illinois State Archive

Clinton Histories and Genealogies

History of Clintonia Township US Gen Web Archives

Clinton Immigration Records

Clinton Land Records

Clinton Map Records

Bird's eye view map of the city of Clinton, DeWitt County, Illinois 1869. Library of Congress

Sanborn Fire Insurance Map from Clinton, De Witt County, Illinois, April 1887 Library of Congress

Sanborn Fire Insurance Map from Clinton, De Witt County, Illinois, December 1892 Library of Congress

Sanborn Fire Insurance Map from Clinton, De Witt County, Illinois, January 1916 Library of Congress

Sanborn Fire Insurance Map from Clinton, De Witt County, Illinois, March 1898 Library of Congress

Sanborn Fire Insurance Map from Clinton, De Witt County, Illinois, May 1910 Library of Congress

Sanborn Fire Insurance Map from Clinton, De Witt County, Illinois, October 1904 Library of Congress

Clinton Marriage Records

Clinton Newspapers and Obituaries

Central Transcript 1856-1862 Newspapers.com

Clinton Daily Journal and Public 1927-1963 Newspapers.com

Clinton Daily Public 1915-1926 Newspapers.com

Clinton Morning Journal 1921-1926 Newspapers.com

Clinton Public 1862-1863 Newspapers.com

Clinton Public 1869-1901 Newspapers.com

Clinton Public and Central Transcript 1864-1869 Newspapers.com

Clinton Register 1882-1915 Newspapers.com

Clinton Semi-Weekly Register 1870-1872 Newspapers.com

Clinton Tribune 1884-1884 Farmer City Public Library

Clinton Weekly Register 1872-1882 Newspapers.com

De Witt County Public, and Central Transcript 1863-1864 Newspapers.com

DeWitt Courier 1854-1856 Newspapers.com

DeWitt Register 1868-1870 Newspapers.com

Strike Bulletin 1913-1915 Newspapers.com

Strike Bulletin, 1913-1915 Illinois Digital Newspaper Collections

Offline Newspapers for Clinton

De acordo com o US Newspaper Directory, os seguintes jornais foram impressos, portanto, pode haver cópias em papel ou microfilme disponíveis. Para obter mais informações sobre como localizar jornais off-line, consulte nosso artigo sobre como localizar jornais off-line.

Central Transcript. (Clinton, Ills. [Ill.]) 1856-1862

Clinton Daily Journal and Public. (Clinton, Ill.) 1927-1979

Clinton Daily Journal. (Clinton, Ill.) 1980-Current

Clinton Public, and Central Transcript. (Clinton, Ill.) 1864-1869

Clinton Public. (Clinton, De Witt County, Ill.) 1862-1863

Clinton Register. (Clinton, Ill.) 1882-1926

Clinton Semi-Weekly Register. (Clinton, Ill.) 1870-1872

Clinton Weekly Register. (Clinton, Ill.) 1868-1882

De Witt County Public, and Central Transcript. (Clinton, De Witt County, Ill.) 1863-1864

Dewitt County Constitution. (Clinton, Ill.) 1997-Current

Dewitt Register. (Clinton, Ill.) 1868-1870

Clinton Probate Records

Clinton School Records

Clinton Community High School Yearbook, 1930, 1931, 1937, 1938, 1939, 1940, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1958, 1959, 1960, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992 Internet Archive

Clinton Community High School Yearbook, 1961, 1963 Internet Archive

Clinton Community High School, Clintonia, 1910, 1962 Internet Archive

Clinton High School Yearbook, 1910, 1912, 1917, 1918, 1920, 1921, 1922, 1923, 1924, 1925, 1926, 1927, 1928, 1929 Internet Archive

Clinton High School Yearbook, 1919 Internet Archive

Clinton Junior High School Yearbook, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004 Internet Archive

Adições ou correções a esta página? Agradecemos suas sugestões por meio de nossa página de contato


Assista o vídeo: De Witt Clinton